ebay bidding programs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golden Age, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Is it true that some people have programs to automatically put in the last bid on an item by an incremental amount? If so, shouldnt this be illegal?

2. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I believe there are programs like this. They automatically put it your top bid in the final seconds of the auction. Don't know where you would find such a program though.

A program that does this would not be altering another person's bid, so I don't see how it could be illegal. It still places the bid for the user within the normal bidding window.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's called "sniping", and it does indeed suck. People who do it suck too. Takes all the fun out of bidding when some prick snipes you at the last second with a program.

I can already see people responding to this thread who will say it's ok and they do it, but don't listen. They suck too.

4. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

I've never heard of this before, but I'm not surprised. It might not be illegal, however it seems like the kind of thing that Ebay would want to stop if they could.

5. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    i know of a site that offers these services and it does indeed suck.

6. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Talk about misdirected anger. Oi vey.

Quite frankly, the only person to blame for being "sniped" at the last second is YOU. You're not supposed to make a bid to get the high price on an item for the current moment. You're supposed to bid the absolute maximum you're willing to pay for an item. If you've bid the most you're willing to spend, there should be no anger at losing an auction because you didn't want to spend the necessary amount to get it. Disappointment? Sure. Anger? Hell no.

In conclusion, please, take your blatent insults and leave.

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Oh noes! My "blatant insults" seem to offend you, OH WELL. I guess that means you must be a sniper, and I don't have to tell you how I feel about them.

8. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:

Damn you and your logic.

9. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Way to ignore my point. :thumb 

10. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I could care less about your "point". Sniping sucks, plain and simple.

As for what you said, if you believe that, then what need is there for sniping? And just to be clear, do you actually use such programs, or are you arguing just for the fun of it?

11. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:

So because someone wants an item more than you do that makes them a bastard?

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    No, not at all. But using a program to do it at the last possible second makes them pretty underhanded. When you sit and watch an auction, physically watching it through, that's how it should be done if you really want that item. Relying on a program is just cruddy IMO.

I guess I can't get mad at the people who do it without the program, I just can't stand it when they don't care enough to sit it out, and take the easy way out by using bidding tools.

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Oy, not this again.

I freely admit to 'sniping,' but not with programs. Those are kinda bullshit.
    I will watch an item in My Ebay, and come back to it the last day/final minutes. Somewhere between 5 minutes and 1 minute, I might make a move, just to get a feel for what the high bid might be. Occasionally, I'll take a leap and just enter a bid with like 20 seconds left, which will either result in the bid not being high enough, or high enough but with not enough time for another bidder to respond.

Except for the occasional, 'fuck you, I'm winning this, bitch!' item, the goal with Ebay for me is to get an item for cheaper than the max I'm willing to pay. I might have been willing to plop down $60 for E-hobby Red Tracks at Botcon, but it was a lot more satisfying to get him for $30 on Ebay.
    If I bid the maximum I'm willing to pay three days before the auction ends, the guy I outbid may come along and up it past that amount. If his previous high bid just sits there until there's 30 seconds left and then I enter a higher bid and he doesn't have enough time to respond, or does but only bids another $1-2 and I still win, then I've gotten a 'deal' IMO. My TF collection is replete with such deals. Why even fuck with Ebay otherwise...just go buy from some overinflated secondary market seller like Brian's Toys or something.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Last year, I decided to try and get hold of the "Crystal Zoids", 3 VERY rare Zoid kits (VERY rare as in they made 3000 of one, 1000 of another, and 100 of the last one). Over and over again I kept putting in my maximum bid, and over and over again I got outbid in the last few seconds.
    So eventually I decided to try one of these sites. And lo and behold, I got all 3 Crystal Zoids for about $100 less than the other auctions had ended at for individual ones.
    Did I feel bad? Fuck no. I'm damn glad I did; I haven't seen a single set of all 3 Crystals on eBay since I won mine. So if I hadn't "sniped" I wouldn't have gotten them at all.
    I do not have the time to sit watching eBay, waiting to put in my maximum bid at the last second. Nor do I have the patience to bid on auction after auction and watch my bid get trumped at the last second. This is why I will normally only ever use BIN on eBay; but when there is something special I want, I'll be as "underhanded" as I fucking well want. And if that makes me a bad person, tough shit. Put in a higher maximum bid next time.

15. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I see what you're getting at (computers taking the effort out of an action), but even then, the program can only put in what the user wants their highest maximum bid to be. So, the best way to play the game is to put in your own highest bid first, then just check the auction while it's up to see if you're still winning (so you know to pay when it's over) or if you can move on.

Seriously...I don't think you have much of a case going here. If you wanted the item that badly, you should have put in an initial bid that you knew could not be beaten.

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just snipe them right back... If they win, so be it... They were quicker to the final draw...

17. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That is kind of what I'm getting at, it's the principal of the whole thing. It just seems slimy to me in a way I can't completely grasp. I'm happy that Draven got what he really wanted by using it, but that still doesn't mean I ever will, or condone the use of them. If that means I get beaten for stuff by one penny in the last second, fine. I can hate it all I want, but I won't resort to it. It would make me feel dirty and cheap.

18. ROCK_LEE

ROCK_LEE Well-Known Member

i use an service that snipes for me and i don't think theres nothing wrong with it. Its much better than sitting around and and refreshing the page on your computer. Sniping services are not free, it costs money, (a small percentage of the winning bid) and you wanna pay for it then i dont' see the problem.

19. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sniping (without a program) is fun esp when its an item you really want. For me its part of the thrill of the hunt. Ive won many items in the last few seconds of an auction and Ive lost just as many (most likely more). I don't care if someone uses a program, it adds another element to my fun.

Ive gotten snide emails from people who I 'sniped' and Ive actually gotten emails complementing my sniping before (maybe someone else has fun sniping).

I don't see a realistic way of eliminating sniping. An auction must end and because of that fact people can always come in during the last seconds and outbid the high bidder.

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    So YOU'RE the SOB sniping me!!!:lol 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.