Ebay best offer rant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jestermon, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The OP made a rubbish offer and the seller declined. It's completely the seller's right to do so.

Good lord, ebay has made 99% of the site weighted in favour of buyers so PLEASE still allow sellers some control over how they sell!

Look, I know there are bad sellers, but there are bad buyers too. Sellers have been penalised far too often by ebay. Extortionate fees, no opportunity to leave bad feedback for bad buyers, paypal always siding with the buyer in any dispute etc etc.

Anyway, that's all slightly OT. On the subject of best offers, I put them on all my BIN auctions. I don't always have a "minimum" I'll sell it for, I'm just interested in what offers I get.

Some are laughable (e.g. offering £20 on a £50 BIN) some are reasonable (£18 instead of £20). Some I don't accept, some I do.

As a buyer, I often put best offers in to things. I'm not upset or feel the need to rant about it. I either make a better offer, or decide "I don't want this item that much".

Just recently, I've had some great offers accepted, making me a happy buyer!

2. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I have won a couple actions with best offer. It is usually when I'm slightly interested in something so I throw out a price and sometimes the seller accepts it. I have gotten some stuff cheep that way

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I too think it is bad business sense when a merchant refuses to sell me items at the price I dictate, regardless of the objective value of the item.

4. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Couldn't agree more. I ALWAYS include the BO option with my BIN listings. I encourage haggling. You don't like the BIN price? Shoot me an offer. We can go from there. I usually even work with the lowballers. A few months back I was selling a new Wal-Mart MP Skywarp. I had a BIN for $35. Some buyer offered $15. I declined the offer, but did send him a counteroffer for less than the BIN price. He declined my CO, but I did eventually sell the Skywarp for $33.

It all depends on the offer. If I have something listed for $500 and I get a BO of $490, odds are I will accept the offer. Very fair. However, I don't blame the seller for declining a $22 offer when the BIN is $39. That's a big percentage drop. I have been trying to selling a PVC chase Alloy Prime for about 2 months now, but I refuse to drop below a certain value. I had one guy offer $30 (while my BIN was $110). Needless to say, I was quite insulted.

At the end of the day, there are an equal amount of rude buyers/bidders out there. Don't expect a seller to accept a ridiculously low offer. Are there unreasonable sellers out there? Of course. But please don't fault them for declining an offer. Be grateful they even have that option.