eBay auctions: KO's or real?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by KillBot, Dec 21, 2007.

1. KillBot

KillBot Well-Known Member

I have been browsing eBay and in only a few minutes I came up with auctions that I am having a hard time determining if they are real or KOs. I have been looking on kotransformers.com (a great site) but it has only made me more suspicious of eBay auctions. Take the last one on my list for example. If someone were to remove KO tapes from the package, how can you determine if they are real? Does anyone know if the KOs say "made in China" on them?

Swoop:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SWOOP-Generatio...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Frenzy & Laserbeak:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-G1-HAS...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sideswipe:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ravage & Rumble:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-LOT-4-VINT...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

loose Laserbeak:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/G1-Laserbeak-ca...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I can only say Sideswipe is genuine, there's no K.O of him... yet.

About the cassettes, they might be real but I'm not sure. This picture is of my former set of K.O's
    [​IMG]

I made this K.O check picture some time ago:
    [​IMG]
    The same is with the Frenzy unofficial release and the original. On the unoff. the top leg part is darkblue whereas on the original it's light blue. And the screws are also different. But that's the only difference.
    I compared Buzzaw with my original Buzzaw and I could only tell them appart on the stickers, because the orginal was a bit worn.

3. KillBot

Thanks. I included Sideswipe because I am considering bidding on him. Great info on the tapes. It's much appreciated.

4. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

5. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

ok, here's my 2 cents:
    Loose laserbeak: NEVER EVER expect to get a vintage g1 from yc-collection. 99% of the stuff he's selling is KO
    MISB Cassettes: Go check the seller's buying history, and you will see where he got those from, those are definitely KOs. DON't trust this seller because he's trying to pass those as vintage g1.

6. KillBot

Wow, thanks for the feedback guys. So only one out of the five links I posted had legit items. It is really a shame since they are all being passed off as real. Take this one as an example:

The seller sells item here with this in the description:
    "NEXT IS A MINT SEALED BOX "RAVAGE AND RUMBLE" 1984 (HASBRO) ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IS WRONG WITH IT. IT IS WORTH $175+ IN THE TRANSFORMERS PRICING GUIDE"
    Which he probably bought here for $21 shipped.

Real scumbags.

7. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

You nailed it......You are picking it up fast. Studying feedback is a great way to decide if a Seller is trustworthy.

8. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    The tapes are the worst to tell apart. Complete pains in the ass...

That black hips thing on Rumble is a really great way to tell that set apart. I had no idea about that difference. Thanks for that!

For Ratbat--he is a variant mismatch. As far as I know, he was never released for real with both painted details and silver weapons. So that is a good way to tell that set apart.

Anyone have a way to tell the Laserbeak/Frenzy set apart? I honestly can't find any differences...

9. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Yea. Frenzy has the same "issue" as with Rumble, just read my statement further up. Instead of lightblue upper legs parts they're darkblue.
    I still have to figure out how to tell the K.O birds appart.

However that MOSC set that seller sold is clearly a K.O set. You can tell that by looking at the "screws" on Frenzy/Rumble, they are plain flat on the top and don't have that little cavity in them as on the original.

10. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

11. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Good catch ! I can see that the "screws" here are probably supposed to be more original like because you can see they have a cavity in them instead of being all flat - new K.O type version ?. However the upper-leg parts which are dark blue lets you know otherwise.
    And Trendclick is an honest genuine seller which seems like got trapped in the K.O world.

Original Frenzy pic's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. KillBot

I was just checking the Generation 1 section on ebay (as I like to do often) and these caught my eye. The Sludge box looks fake to me based on kotransformers.com's pics. It is, however, possible the seller doesn't know. The second seller would obviously know if he sells knockoffs.

Sludge Box

This seller lists obvious knockoffs as ko's (such as clear blue plastic variants) but doesn't mention it when it is not as obvious:

Laserbeak
    Rumble
    Ramhorn

I am temped to contact some buyers on these items. I know some might say it is none of my business (caveat emptor and all) but you can also look at it this way. These people buy these tapes believing they are real. They might keep them a few years then decide to sell them on message boards or on ebay again. They might also sell them along with other authentic G1 items (since to them it is all authentic G1). Now if we see these for sale there will be no feedback history or past sales/purchasers to tip us off that these are fake. Just my 2 cents.