Ebay auction cancellation question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robogeek28, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ok here's a new one for me. This morning I get up and start going through my e-mails and open one from Ebay stating that a seller wanted to cancel an auction on me. Only problem is that the auction was over a month ago and I received the items a couple days later. I figure it's a mistake, deny the cancellation with a note stating that the items were received a month ago and then keep checking my e-mails.

Then a few e-mails later I have another Ebay message from the seller themself stating that they were gonna send me the cancellation notice and to please accept it.

My question is this, why would someone ask me to do that?

2. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Are they trying to scam E-bay out of whatever fee they would be paying for said items?

Chuck

3. Robogeek28

News Credits:
    Can they do that? I'd think the fact that I gave them a good feedback would let Ebay know right there that the transaction was completed.

4. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    That's a new one on me. I've had auctions that I was bidding on end early or vanish, but I've never had one that I already won get "cancelled".

5. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Not necessarily. You could have asked to cancel the auction and you gave positive feedback to the seller for being so nice and understanding about it.

More than likely he is trying to cancel the auction to so he can get a refund on his ridiculous ebay fees, but he needs mutual agreement from you to do so.

6. Robogeek28

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I see.

Well that's interesting if true, but it's kinda crummy to do. I understand that Paypal fees are outrageous, which is one of the MANY reasons I haven't sold anything in about 10 years on there, but to try and rip them off by canceling a completed auction?

Not cool.

7. Triple Melter

Yeah it's not cool, not defending the actions

But ebay really went over the line when they started charging final value fees for shipping. Hard to make any money when they take over 10% of a sale BEFORE shipping, then they double dip by using paypal to take more fees

8. Robogeek28

News Credits:
    Wow, that really sucks!

Now I feel kinda guilty.:lol 

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I'd contact eBay as soon as you receive the 'cancellation notice' and alert them to the situation. Its pretty shitty of him to do this, and his fees are HIS problem not yours. Besides if he gets caught, you might get in trouble too if you accept it.

--Moony

10. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Can I ask what the item was? Is it something he may have had a better offer for after he'd sold it to you?

11. Triple Melter

Yes good point I hope my rant on ebay fees wasn't seen as trying to persuade you to go along with it, because if he gets caught you could be in trouble too.

I just really hate ebay thats all that was

12. Robogeek28

News Credits:
    Nah like I said I've already denied the cancellation so the matter is closed with no turning back.

Here's the auction and it was a buy it now for around $320 and then the shipping price. I'd made an offer which amounted to $300 even, which included shipping and I honestly didn't expect him to take the offer. I'd only wanted Waspinator out of the whole lot and figured I could sell the rest easy enough...guess not,lol.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah, sounds like seller's remorse, probably because he's now been offered a better deal by someone else.
    Tough though. He's sold it to you, the transaction has been completed and that's that. Let Ebay know about this though just in case the idiot tries to take this further somehow.

14. Triple Melter

Think you guys are not reading the part where OP said they have already received the items long ago.

Seller's remorse would not make any sense if you no longer even possess the items to sell

15. Robogeek28

News Credits:
    Yep, I have them so he can have all the seller's remorse he wants.

He pry WAS looking to avoid the fees though so I'm glad I inadvertantly squashed that for him.:lol 

16. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't report him, can't blame a guy for trying to get over on ebay. I try every chance I can. Now, if he was trying to scam you, but that's not the case.

17. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why?

If you use eBay, be prepared to pay the fees. Simple as that. If you don't want to pay the fees, craigslist or garage sale won't get you fees. Use some other auction or store service (who also charge fees because they aren't a charity) but eBay is by far the most popular and most used site, giving a much larger potential buyer pool.