eBay alternatives...what would you guys recomend?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Moonstreaker, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    My brother had his last straw with eBay/PayPal and is looking for some place else to hock his wares. Any sites you folks like?

Because I know someone will ask...

He sold his PS3. The guy who won it busted it 3 days after he got it. The guy was an idiot...took him 2 days to figure out how to turn it on (with help from his friends). Had it up and running one day, then tried to shove a disc in with the power flipped off on the back (which Sony guesses over the phone ruined the reader). The guy tried to get my brother to pay the $170 repair bill as quoted by Sony, which he obviously refused. My brother talked to an eBay rep who told him that he didn't owe the guy anything because it was a used item with no warranty implied and it had arrived in working condition. The guy files a PayPal dispute and wins despite the fact that they have all the info from eBay. PayPal tells my brother he can't dispute the decision until after he refunds the guy's money.

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    ebid.net and ioffer.com are the alternatives that I've seen most mentioned.

In regards to your bro's situation, you may be able to get the buyer on a technicality if he doesn't add delivery confirmation to the return package. Also, there may be something about receiving the item back in the condition in which it was sent...but I'm not positive. Lastly, your brother might consider filing a NPB, since technically he, the seller, doesn't have payment. With luck the buyer won't respond to it and will lose his right to leave feedback. Just my :2c: 

3. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I wish I knew as well, because I'm sick of paypal siding with fradulent claims for buyers feeling buyer remorse when the item arrived exactly as advertised. How they even have that as a policy for not handling snad for that reason is a blatant lie. I was told by customer service if the buyer is not happy for any reason, they can get a refund no matter what the auction may say.

What kind of BS is that? Paypal is ignoring their own policies and just randomly siding with people that already have other claims of fradulent behaviour. Up until this just happened, I've had no issues with ebay or paypal. But I do not feel safe selling items through them now as paypal does not protect sellers from fradulent buyers. They stole my money for no reason other than to make a buyer happy who felt buyer remorse who's own proof suggested as much as well. Paypal's customer service is a joke as well, full of run arounds and I can't help yous. Only one representative I spoke with actually attempted to help, the rest more or less told me I'm SOL. When it's the buyer who should be SOL based on Paypal's own user policies in which paypal is ignoring.

Makes me wish there was still a class action lawsuit against them for these fradulent processes so I can get my money back, and maintain a contractually obligated deal without a buyer who attempts to refund his shipping, then when denied, creates fake complaints to have items sent back just so paypal would process it. He even had done so behind my back while I had attempted to give him the benefit of the doubt and start negotiations for a replacement which he had then greedily made go from two initial figures, to a whole new set of 6, while still keeping the original 6. As far as I'm concerned paypal does not adhere to their own rules at all. Bad enough I had to call to get other funds unlocked as another buyer had left positive feedback last week, and they had never cleared the payment until I called paypal, when it's supposed to take 24 hours.

Paypal is screwing with my account, as I'm sure they have others, and I wish someone would hold them liable already for these fradulent, abusive, and invasive actions.

I have asked paypal for copies of their user policies, since they obviously do not adhere to their own site listed ones. As such I was denied, and directed back to the website one, which again they are not even adhering to so I'm at a loss of words. Especially since the buyers own evidence points at buyer remorse.

Since when has 'buyer happiness' ever been a concern for paypal and reason to allow a refund on a non refundable item that was perfectly described as it was? Under 13.10 of reasons to not allow SNAD refunds, this buyers own evidence hits both points of reasons not to allow. This entire snafu is pure BS. The buyer and paypal should both be held responsible for these actions, instead of processing a claim against me for following their and ebays rules to a T with no complaints from previous buyers, only praise, whereas this buyer according to one Paypal Representative has a habit of this behaviour, yet it was ruled in his favor.

Buyers remorse under 13.10 of the paypal user policy does not constitute a refund or return for SNAD reasons. Buyer attempts to negotiate price after auction and payment. Then threatens to use SNAD paypal to get what he wants if denied. Yet they still processed it. Still pisses me off beyond belief users like this actually exist. Not to mention a business entity actually falling for it under such obvious circumstances and evidence.

If happiness is such an issue, I'd be happy if they refunded my fees. I'm not happy. Yet the only reason they sided with him is because he is a power seller, who rakes them in money from his reselling and repackaging. Now I'm furious about what this buyer really is, and how little ethics/honor he has.

TFW2005 needs a bad buyer thread, so users like this can be black listed before they cause headaches for other sellers who also follow the rules to a T and shouldn't have to put up with such BS as wishy washy buyer remorse, and greedy buyers who think they are entitled to the world after getting an expensive lot of toys for nearly half value to begin with. Why should a seller be punished for buyer greed? Especially if a buyer makes no attempts to actually follow the rules outlined by various user agreements through ebay and paypal. It's borderline unethical illegal shady behaviour. No scratch that, it's outright so.

It's days like these I wish letter writing campaigns to people like David Sacks Chief Operating Officer of PayPal, Inc. would work for them to realize they are mishandling claims and fix it, or do better research on the cases. According to ebay, this buyer was known for these actions and I hadn't read up on it in his feedback. To make matters worse he's a reseller/potential repackager. So seriously, between this and the aforementioned PS3 incident, wtf is going on with paypal?Are they just blind or stupid?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  4. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    paypal = fail

i hate it and i would be interested in alternatives

5. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    You know Ebay OWNS PayPal, right?

Ebay and PayPal DON'T GIVE A $HIT ABOUT YOU. Because they make too much money to care when you get wronged. It's EASIER for them to anger you with their BS policies than it is to actually correct anything, because they KNOW that $$$ is just going to roll in anyway because people are sheep and will just keep using them.

I'm not defending them at all - just saying that BY using them, folks continue to feed the problem. What needs to happen is a SHARP decline in their users both Ebay AND PayPal - and THEN maybe they'll get their heads out of their a$$.

I've dropped Ebay and would LOVE to drop PayPal, but it's too easy for people to use and it makes sense businesswise to keep accepting them. BUT - as soon as a reasonable and easy alternative to them comes up that people embrace as they did PayPal, oh yeah - I'll be switching to whatever that is, too.

Try Ebid instead of Ebay. It DOES LACK THE TRAFFIC of Ebay, so your sales may be slower, but it's cheaper and it's FULL of folks just like you who have had enough - check out their forums and you'll feel right at home. eBid Online Auction House - Free to List Internet Auctions site for the the USA, UK, Canada, Australia and Ireland. Buy and Sell everything and anything without posting or final value fees in our multi-currency online auction environment And just pound the pavement - "Hey, I'm selling on Ebid now. You oughta check it out."

I totally agree with you and I'd be upset too. Ebay and PayPal have this B.S. policy that the buyer is ALWAYS right even if they're DEAD wrong, and it's why I've stopped selling on Ebay entirely. The "sellers can't leave negative feedback" was the last straw for me - and I've got 100% positive feedback and good 5 star ratings, too. But I just disagree with how they operate so I split.

Best of luck with your PayPal issue. If it were me I'd stiff 'em. Just empty the PayPal account, close down the credit card and bank account associated with it and let THEM eat the refund they wanna give to this tool. But that's just me.

6. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    LOL...my brother closed his checking account today and had his CC #'s changed yesterday because he "lost his wallet".

7. skywarprime

skywarprime DHARMA

Great idea... destroy your credit, give up any chance of getting a mortgage, car loan, personal loan, etc.

8. DethPike

Ebay:
    Better to let PayPal refund the guys money and then debit the seller's bank account for it? If PayPal wants the guy to have his money back so bad, that's cool... PAYPAL can pay him outta THEIR pocket. But again - that's just me. Maybe if a few HUNDRED people did that, they'd shape up.

9. skywarprime

skywarprime DHARMA

I'm just not willing to sacrifice my future over a few hundred dollars.

I would pay the buyer back on return of the item and then if I found that he caused the problem himself I would file a small claims action against him for the damages.

10. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    If you've never given PP your social it's kind of hard for them to ruin your credit.

11. skywarprime

skywarprime DHARMA

Incorrect.

12. DethPike

Ebay:
    Yeah, they DON'T need your SSN to screw with you - they can keep billing you, send letters, report to a credit agency, etc. That's true.

But - it's not like you defaulted on a loan, or declared bankruptcy, or committed some kind of fraud. Your credit will be fine.

And, more importantly, you would NOT have BENT OVER and just let PayPal screw you. That's your brothers money - HIS. Why should he give it BACK to this guy BEFORE they'll hear him out or handle this issue? No friggin way, man. Good for him for not letting them SCARE him into doing something he shouldn't have to do.

That'd be like if I sold someone a Transformer, and then they back over it with their car and say "Yeah - now that I wrecked this I want my money back" and PayPal saying "Well DP, give him his money back and then we'll talk about it. Aren't our policies awesome?" - Excuse me??? Yeah - they'd never see a DIME outta me.

13. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

I am running into the same issue right now with paypal. A guy bought a Empire paintball loader and Dye goggles off me. I packaged them up with bubble wrap and sent them on the way. Then I get message from this guy saying he got screwed and I am a con man. Sends me pics of the front of the loader being busted. I told him, he should of got the optional shipping insurance. He was still pissy and told me to have fun with ebay, that they would side with him. I even offered him a partial refund and basically split the difference for him to get a new shell for the loader. Its now in dispute with paypal (which is bull shit). Here are his comments to paypal:

10/29/2008 22:02 PDT - PayPal: 150304046763 - HALO B RELOADER B RIP DRIVE HOPPER LOADER EMPIREIT IS A ABUSED HALO HOPPER AND NOT EXCELLENT CONDITION I CANNOT EVEN USE THIS IF I WANTED TO____

10/29/2008 22:03 PDT - Buyer: ITS A PIECE OF JUNK

10/29/2008 22:05 PDT - Buyer: I TALKED TO THE SELLER AND HE WANTS TO GIVE A PARTIAL PAYMENT BUT THIS ITEM WILL COST ME MORE TO FIX IT ICAN GO BUY A NEW ONE

I have tried everyway possible to work with the guy, but now its on like donkey kong. I uploaded pics to paypal showing just about every possible angle of the loader. Any suggestion to take on the big machine?

14. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Well, since he wouldn't take a partial refund, you are likely going to have to do a full refund against your will. Unless you can prove the buyer broke it Paypal will just go in favor of the buyer.

Technically, you are responsible for getting the item to the buyer, regardless if you deliver it in person or hire someone (post office) to deliver it. Insurance is really more for you. Paypal (and eBay) essentially already insure the buyer via the buyer protection program. If the post office screws up and you have insurance then you get your money back, since winning an insurance claim with the post office will happen weeks or months after Paypal has refunded the buyer.

15. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...wonder what is taking so long to settle this thing. I don't agree with the shipping thing though. If its not in your hands you cannot be responsible, I thought that was the whole point of giving the buyer the option for insurance???

16. shockwave_store

shockwave_store DECEPTICON BADASS

tell ya'll what, i joined ioffer.com, and i have been pretty successful. sold a shockwave, and a jetfire on there in the 1st day i joined. shit, i'm gonna keep doing that, sell in both areas at the same time. ioffer.com dont cost nothing, until you sale something. the sale of both items was 275.00 and all i had to pay was a FVF of 11.88 plus the paypal fees. not bad at all.

17. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd go the small claims route if necessary as well. As long as it was worth your time to do so. If we are talking a small amount of money it may not be worth it, but if you want to screw with him out of principal... go nuts.

This is why every time I do decide to be retarded and sell on eBay, insurance and tracking is not optional. Sure my shipping fees end up higher, but I don't really care. My ass is covered.

What ever happened to Google's payment system? I remember hearing rumblings about it, but did it ever take off?

18. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    ebid and ioffer are both good sites - but since ebay banned KOs, these two sites have picked them up.

If you want to find something on either site, better type in specifically what you want. Otherwise you'll find yourself going through page after page of KOs.

19. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Papal WILL NOT give the person the money if he has closed his accounts. They will tell him the funds were not able to be obtained for refund or payment.. I have had to file a claim once with a guy that ripped off a bunch of people and i was the first to file a claim so i got what was left in the guys account. from the 50$ he stole from me , i got 8$ of it back. Paypal basicly told me i was shit out of luck with the rest of the money owed to me and also told the other people that filed claims the same thing. " There are No Funds In the Account to make Refunds With"..
    Paypal Dont send them money to cover it all out of there own pocket..
    So if your brother closed his account and had his CC numbers changed then the guy is shit out of luck and wont get any of that money and Paypal wont send it to them out of there pocket.
    So your brothers credit is NOT going to get messed up over this..
    The only thing that will happen is they will close his paypal account and wont be able to open another. Personally i think it was a good move on your brother to close his account so this person cant collect the money . He shouldnt have to ay for this other person Stupidity..

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Some ebay customers are assfaces.

I sold a minty Monstructor (like I would use a broken one for my collection's prided centerpeice) to some guy, and he broke the gold one when playing with it and tried to blame me for it.
    He wanted a refund but was refusing to return the item wtf. But I still had to pay a 3rd of the transaction anyways. Then he goes and destroys my %100 positive feedback.
    What a sack, I should get even and go impregnate his mom, then have my new son beat up his big stupid bro