eBay advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Crazy Collector, Aug 27, 2010.

1. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Hey all! Just need a quick bit of eBay advice here. First, some backstory. I recently sold an item on eBay. The buyer paid quickly and I shipped the item out within a day or two. The address was an APO, which I believe indicates a military base, but I could be wrong. The other day, the package was returned to me with a sticker saying "Return to Sender" and "Attempted Not Known". I emailed the buyer asking me what was going on. He replied that he had been having trouble with his mailing, but that it should be straightened out now, and asked that I resend the item. So my question here is who should pay for the shipping when I resend the package? I didn't include shipping in the original auction, and it wasn't my fault that the package got returned, so I'm thinking the buyer should have to pay it, but I wanted to get some input from my fellow TFWers. So, what do you all think?

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    was the address recorded in paypal?

if so he is liable for the second shipping

if not you are liable.

3. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

If you sent the package to the address registered to paypal, then you shouldn't have to pay shipping twice.

However, if you are concerned that you might get a negative feedback, I would contact the buyer to try and see if he will pay.

4. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    1)Yep, APO means Military, and shipping to them is quite well known for being hassle. I can't remember the exact way packages are distributed, but it is slow and even haphazard.

2)The buyer admitted he was having trouble.

In reality, you may choose to eat the shipping costs for fear of neg. feedback, but it would seem there's no error on your part.

5. The Crazy Collector

Ebay:
    Thanks for the input. Yeah, the address I shipped to was the address registered with PayPal, so I really couldn't see why I should have to pay the shipping, but I wanted to get some other view points.

6. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    All kinds of weird things can happen with APO's. The most important thing to remember is a customs form. The good thing is that it's only shipping to California for APO, AP and New York for APO, AE, the government picks up the tab for the overseas part.

I'd recommend emailing him asking him to pay the shipping this time, most rational people would realize that was his bad on his end... If he says no, then don't argue and eat the cost.

7. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think if you politely ask him to pay the stating, and state your reasons why, he'll likely cover the cost.

-Silvershot

8. The Crazy Collector

Ebay:
    So I sent the following message to the buyer shortly after my last post in this thread:

To which the buyer responded:

Honestly, I'm kind of at a loss here. I really don't think I should have to pay the shipping. It's not like I made a huge amount of money on the action, (ended at $36.00) or else I'd be happy to ship again at my cost. And it's not my fault that the item wasn't delivered. The buyer even said "my mailing has been putting up a big ordeal," admitting that he's having problems. I'm thinking of just offering him a refund if he doesn't want to pay the shipping, but I can see where this could get messy, which I'd like to avoid. However, just on general priciples, I do not want to pay the shipping myself since it wasn't my fault. Am I just being too stuborn?

9. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    Call PayPal. Someone here went through the same thing about a week ago. They actually credited it to him so he could reship it.

Check this out: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/general-discussion/319116-anyone-deal-before-ebay-related.html

10. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Hey, I have an ebay question too and I'm sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't want to start a new one. This is for all the sellers; I recently sold my first item on ebay, twas a Magic card and I'm wondering what's the best shipping method?

I'm aware this is a silly questions as I can place it between two pieces of thin cardboard and send via lettermail but I don't want the buyer getting the card and claiming it was bent or anything. Any advice or tips would be awesome!

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I don't think so. Besides, what happens if it gets returned a second time. You could end up paying out over and over again. I would call Paypal, as others have suggested. That way you can be sure you've followed all the correct procedures should a dispute arise.

12. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    media mail in a padded 6x9 mailer with cardboard braces.

13. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Honestly,

i would refund him at this point.If he refuses to pay for a second shipping then his loss.

14. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Thank you, apologizes for hijacking the thread too.

15. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Personally I would call the ebay customer service phone number & inform them of the AFO difficulties.

since you have the package in your possession. it might be easier to refund the buyer the money he paid for the item.

perhaps from now on you should block any AFO buyers from bidding on your ebay auctions.

16. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    That's fucked up. APO/FPOs are, for the most part, American military. Speaking from experience, sometimes ebay is the only way to get something you really want overseas. I hate it when people/businesses won't ship to them. I boycotted Amazon and called repeatedly until they included APOs as domestic shipping. They do so now.

17. The Crazy Collector

Ebay:
    Update - I emailed PayPal's help desk thingy..... and was told to call their 1-800 number. Blah. I'll probably just eat the shipping and send it out again with the stipulation that if the package comes back again, I'm just going to issue a refund. Still irked by the whole situation though, and I really kinda think the buyer is a jerk for expecting me to pay the shipping again. Oh well. Whatta you do?

18. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Being as APO addresses are for overseas bases (i.e. 'APO AE' means a European, African, or Middle Eastern base) and can be subject to other countries' restrictions, problems aren't uncommon. Its not like he's here in the US, and its not like its his fault, either, so I'd eat such a small amount of postage.

--Moony

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Ebay can be soo annoying at times. Lost so much money from miscellaneous crap like this.
    Usually have to pay up somehow, to prevent an avalanche of b*llshit to fall on ya.

20. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Offer to split the new shipping.