EB/Gamestop fun fact

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by geerave, Sep 10, 2007.

1. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Always go to your friendly neighbourhood pawn shop. I just got a wii at my local for fifty bucks less than EB charges for a used one. Better return policy, too.

2. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Well thats GREAT. All my favorite game series are niche titles that the stores only get 3 copies of already. Great way to treat your customer base. Walmart and Best Buy already cater to the casual market, and they do a better job of it.

3. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

Was thinking of getting a part-time job at Gamestop. Now I'll steer clear lol.

4. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

That would explain why the one next door to the Target here has so many copies of Catwoman on DVD...

5. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I did once, and it was worth every penny. Back when lego star wars came out, it was first released on blue discs(for ps2), which somehow caused a problem. After four months of play, my copy just stopped playing. I took it back, and got a new one. Two months later, same thing. Again, I got a new one. After that, I left it sealed till the Greatest hits version came out(on silver disc).

6. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that was more of an issue of your ps2 slowly dying and not being able to read blue disks, than it was the software.

7. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I did with KH2. Good thing too. My PS2 burned a ring in the disk and it would no longer play.

8. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

i was a store manager at gamestop for many years, and to be fair, its not like you can just tell someone "hey you stole this!!". in my store we would always cut people off if it got too out of hand. if you want to get anywhere in gamestop, or any other job, you need to lick a few butts!

9. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:

Maybe, but I doubt it. Gamestop said it was a disc problem, and had many people return/exchange them. I've got the same ps2 to this day, and it plays my other blue discs fine. In fact, i've never had a problem with any blue disc other then those sw lego ones.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That isn't exactly true- but it is for retail anyways. I was an assistant manager and I just don't like having my job threatened for things out of my control.

11. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

I used to work at a Suncoast that had similar used DVD policies as well as a "sell a certain number of magazine subscriptions/customer club memberships or you're fired" racket.

It is honestly not encouraged to turn someone down even if it's painfully obvious they've stolen the DVDs or whatever. If you so much as imply that they might be thieves they'll register a complaint, and of course your District Manager will hear of it and berate you. So far as they're concerned, incoming product is incoming product, whether it was stolen or not is irrelevent. And the fact that we'd buy DVDs for as low as 50cents and then turn around and sell the things for upwards of $10 was just icing on the cake.

12. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks. This thread explains the high turnover. Everytime I go into one it's a new batch a people working, and why forever they've had a Now Hiring sign up.

Good buddy managed a Disc Replay here and they had the same regulars show up on Tues with that days new releases. $5 is what they'd pay for them(max for any DVD), but they couldn't be sealed in plastic.

Ebay is the only place to buy games. You save $10 on new sealed ones, or wait a few months and buy it used for $25-$30, while it's still $45 used at EB or Gamestop. Then again, I'm not the type of person who must have it day of release(I need to get Metroid soon). I preordered DS Zelda, but that was 7 years ago.

13. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I refuse to go EB or Gamestop. The employees are; for the most part, ******ed lil dill holes who think they know everything there is to know about gaming. Yet they can't seem to answer a single question correctly. I bet the week the managers are away the amount of stock written off as "damaged" drops by 75% for the entire company.

Those blue disks were shit. Good luck getting one of them to load.

Amen to that. I bought Darkness for PS3 last week for $30 shipped. I've bought most of my PS3 games on eBay, played them through, then turned around and sold them for within $5 of what I paid a few weeks later.

14. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    The EB closest to my house is actually pretty decent. My brother used to work there, and for the most part the staff is knowledgeable. I just traded in my old 360 for one of the new ones with the Zephyr mobo and HDMI port, no problem. For once insurance on a system was worth it.