EB employes=Assholes

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by wikkiddavis, Nov 8, 2007.

1. wikkiddavis

wikkiddavis The wikkid man

News Credits:
    I went to EB games tonight to get the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Game ( i knew the game wouldnt be that good but i love the show so i had to get the game) no one else had it, so i was forced to go to EB. I walk in grab up the game get to the counter and the conversation goes like this

cashier dude: Wow Someone is actually buying this game

other guy: Its been here sence monday I didnt think anyone would be stupid enough to buy a crappy game like this

Me: Well this stupid guy would have gotten it monday if he would have gotten paid on monday.

Cashier guy: this show is horrible and this game is horrible but if u want to waste your money its ok with us

I pay for it and walk out I didnt say anything else cause i would have been just as big of an ass as them

as anyone else had this kind of trouble at EB games and or Gamestop?

2. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I think it's commonly known that EB only hires assholes.

(apologies to anyone who reads this that works there... hopefully you're the exception).

3. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    great sales tactics ;) 

I have worked in a game store and you never say anything like that to a customer even though sometimes they buy a crappy game. But hey for them it might be a fun game.

4. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Not exactly EB.. but at suncoast

I was buying the set of Samurai Shamploo figs. the ones that look like gashpon that you could connect together of the 3 characters..

cashier: "Oh so you watched samurai shamploo?"

me: "yea some of it. still watching it. like what i'm seeing so far"

cashier: "I like Cowboy bebop better"

me: "yea that was awesome. loved the ending"

cashier: "I kinda think samurai shamploo sucks"

Well gee.. thanks! I didn't get offended by it.. seemed like he was really into trying to start a conversation.

TRU: I think FF7 Dirge of Cerberus (sp?) sucks

.. if i could think of anymore "i think it sucks" comments.. i would have put them up here.. but those are the only ones.. since i found those funny :) 

5. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

They don't get paid enough to be nice to customers.

6. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    honestly.. i don't think anyone thinks they get paid enough unless you're filthy stinkin' rich.. and even then.. it's a maybe..

regardless of what you do.. you never get paid enough.

If it were me. I'd just appreciate i have a job with the way things are right now. (here anyway)

But like i've said before.. I don't think people start out with negative attitudes at a job.. it's grown over time.. especially if you have a bunch of asshat customers who degrade you and treat you like crap.

I hate it when i see things like that.. reminds me of this woman in her 50-60s.. wearing a veil around her neck and over her head (showed her face).. wore sunglasses.. dressed like she was one of those old hollywood star types..

she gave this young deli guy such a hard time.... the funny thing about this woman was she didn't even have a car! i literally saw her walk to the grocery store while I was stopped at a red light going to the market too..

bah.. I don't get why people have to be mean to customer service..

7. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I think awesome broad assuming generalizations come up like this every 3 months.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Erg, I was an assistant manager at a Gamestop and EB, and I knew a few guys that would act like this- but what you say they said is pretty damn bold. Standing up for yourself is not lowering yourself to their level, it just depends on how you do it. I would have certainly said something back, at least something along the lines of not asking for their opinions, and a bit more...

Anyways, it isn't the money most game store employees are upset about- it's their damn corporate rules requiring them to sell certain items and get preorders (Although I am sure they want more money). Workers either get tired of having their job threatened, or actually do get fired. Anyways, remember that they aren't always social elitists, so they may have thought they were being playfull and friendly, which is actually the majority of game store employees I know are like.

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bah, it's not as bad as the guy that a member of my family dealt with the other week.

Vangelus Bloodline Member: Hi, I was wondering about the game Rock Band?

EB Person: We don't have that game.

VBM: No, I know that, I was wondering if I could preorder it.

EB P: No, I don't know what that is.

VBM: Rock Band.

EB P: We don't have it, I don't know what that is.

10. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, it actually seems kinda common to see "eb = assholes" threads. Especially on game related forums. That didn't dawn on me till just now. Reading these threads is really like deja vu.

The last time I bought something from gamestop(same thing as eb), I also had an idiotic experience, they weren't really assholes, just kinda dumb.

me: Hey, do you guys have that 4 port charge station for the ps3?
    clerk 1: No, I've never heard of that
    me: It's on the website, and I know it's sold in the stores, could you look to see if you have one?
    clerk 2: A charge base, what's that do?
    me: charges 4 controllers at once
    clerk 2: 4, at once?!
    clerk 1: you have 4 controllers?
    me: yes, now can you check the computer maybe? I know the manufacturer
    clerk1: oh wait, i saw some sort of controller charger the other day, oh is this it?
    me: yes

I honestly don't expect much out of some highschool kids probably on their first or second job, but man...

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    atleast the EB games store I buy from , he knows what he talks about but then again he is stor manager.

oh and the girl that works part time on weekedns is HOT to ;) 

12. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

The problem is that you are not talking about EB games so with respect to all things EB they are dead and gone. EB was great and they really tried to make the store run well, and tried to hire gamers. But all managers where differnt and could hire anyone they wanted.

Which leaves me with you talking bad about EB but being in a gamestop. totaly differnt company and totaly differnt policys. I know I have worked with EB for 2 years before they joined gamestop and still am employeed there. The problem is that gamestop is all about numbers for preorders, magazine sales, and overall sales. Which is quite extreme if you ask me. They also require stores to have so many poeple per store. And I have helped with interviews and seen or talked to many poeple appling. Most do not know games and even fewer know there alphabet to orginize the walls.

Also there is no training, the only way I know what is what is by spending time on the net to keep me and the store updated. Ask me about counsles and I know a fair amount, but ask me about pc and I am not since I do not pc game.

Sorry for the rant, but please leave EB out of the picture. I can say the same about any place I shop as not every clerk will know about everything. And I am sorry but the PS3 is a very common system to get questions on, I have one so I know of the 4 controler charger.

13. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Seems like the lack of customer service skills has been a growing epidemic over the years in all types of business, not just video games stores. Its been a while since Ive seen a good waitor/waitress. Good cashiers have gone the way of the dodo. The best example was at Party City this last month when the male employees tried harder to get into the pants of the female employees instead of attending the customers. But back to your question: Yes EB games employees are known to come off as jerks and Ive learned to respond in kind which contrary to common sense, makes the conversation better with them. What bugs me is that they sell used games for almost the same price as a new game.

14. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's been hit and miss @ the local GameStop in the area that I just moved to. My first visit to purchase a new 360 game was OK...the guy there was really helpful, though did pass along some incorrect info regarding using non-Microsoft branded periphals voiding your MS warranty. None the less, he was helpful so I went ahead and signed up for the Edge program. I knew they were 'forced' to sell so many of those memberships so I thought I'd help the guy out. I rarely buy used games b/c I'm so anal about the condition of my items, but what the heck...at least I get the magazine.

My next visit wasn't so great. I had a e-mail coupon for 50% off a 2nd used game, so I perceeded back to the 360 area again. I picked out an inexpensive game (Prey) and while I was looking I remembered that my wife wanted one of the Donkey Konga games for the GC. Luckily they had DK2 so I took both games to checkout. The goth girl looked at DK2 and asked me if I really wanted to purchase the game. I said yes, my wife wants it. She then looked at me and told me that my wife must like to play lame games then. I looked at her and said "excuse me?". She ignored me and didn't say another word during the rest of the transaction.

So I've had good and bad in my first 2 visits. I think I'll just stick to buying new games and when I do want to pick up a used game then I'll just wait for the guy I dealt w/ the first time to be working.

15. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Unfortunately all my experiences with EB Games have been pretty awful as well. I once argued with a guy who told me that Castlevania games were no longer on Nintendo systems because of the poor sales of the GBA games. So of course I asked about the pre-order for Portrait of Ruin and the Dawn of Sorrow game; to which he replied. "huh". To which I replied "nice".

16. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    i just dont shop at EB or gamestop anymore. the line has to be drawn somewhere. absolutely shitty service, bad business practices, and then one of their managers has the balls to write an essay on HOW TO SHOP AT THEIR STORE
    http://consumerist.com/consumer/retail/28-confessions-of-a-gamestop-shift-supervisor-319436.php

My guide goes like this
    step 1: drive past the mall, go to any of dozen game retailers in Madison that aren't owned by Gamestop.
    step 2: order games online if they're not at the store. never, ever, ever give gamestop money.

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I just get alot of my games from half.com

18. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

I go to Game Crazy, Good thing too, apparently.

19. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

EB Games IS Gamestop now. They got bought out long ago. The EB at the mall I go to was rebranded as a Gamestop.

The Gamestop employees in the area have generally been more helpful than before... I rack it up to most of the ejrkass employees getting suckered into working at the new "vintage" game store which charges mass fortune for stuff and pays so little in trade. $25 for PS1 Doom?

20. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    I generally have no problems with the EB games by where I work. But it helps I drop usually $200-$400 a month on games.

Some of the other locations though, I did have a problem with. Alot of their employees act like elitest @ssholes. They think for some reason they are superior to every customer that walks in and give you some sort of snobbish attitude if you need to ask them anything.

One time I pre-ordered a game and they actually sold my preorder because I couldnt make it in on launch day to get it (turned out one of the employees bought my copy because they did not preorder one themselves).