EB Edge

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by samtheman, Jan 12, 2009.

1. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Anyone else have an EB Edge card? If so what kind of discounts do you get on used games? Is it true if you buy 2 used games you get 1 free?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You get 10% off all used games and you get 10% extra on all trade-ins.

3. samtheman

Are used games buy 2 get one free or is that only at certain times?

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Only at certain times, as far as I know. I've bought 3+ games used multiple times with no freebie.

5. Darkfall

Darkfall Savior of Shadows

This is EB/Gamestops single most common promotion. They'll run Buy 2 Get 1 Free for 3 or so days at least every three months. About twice a year they'll do it for a week.

6. samtheman

Thanks for the info.

7. samtheman

Thanks.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    It is also an absolute waste of money.

9. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    How so? I get a subscription to a magazine I like for less than the cost of an annual subscription and I get extra credit for trades and a discount for stuff I buy. The card paid for itself before I even left the store. Not to mention I've saved about $80 due to that increased trade value plus the discount for buying used games.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    A magazine that is almost nothing with ads and news that's old by the time you get it. The card hardly pays for itself (I recall actual numbers somewhere, and the difference it makes is really not worth it), trade in values, even with extra credit are usually pretty bad if it isn't a fairly recent game (in most cases)...and I almost never buy used games.

And this is coming from someone that likes and supports Gamestop..and even trades in games on occasion (though not near as often as I used to).

11. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Who reads magazines for news? Really? How about I enjoy the reviews, the well written previews, some enjoyable articles and the magazine as a whole.

I have no complaints about the trade values of the games I've traded in. The card has always tacked on the extra 10%, and I like to time it when they are doing the whole (trade in 3 games get an extra 20%, 4 games for extra 30%). So by the time I'm done I have a 30% - 40% increase in the value of my trades. I will usually only buy used games unless it's a really recent release. I traded in Halo 2, Resident Evil 4 PS2, Uncharted and Stranglehold 360 and I walked out with a copy of Rock Band PS3, The Force Unleashed PS3 and a $11 gift card this past November. I returned The Force Unleashed 2 days later and walked out with Little Big Planet.

No ebay fees, no shipping fees (if I was buying or trading), no paypal fees. Which all would amount to over the $10 charge I paid to get the magazine and discounts.

The card is worth it if you are willing to take advantages of the offers. If you buy the card, and then don't trade anything in, don't buy used games and then don't read the magazine, then yeah, you wasted your money.

12. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Are you kidding?! I make back the money in a few months. I almost exclusively buy used games and trade them in again when I am done. It's worth the money if you buy used games.

When they do Buy 2 get 1 free you don't need an edge card.

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It also depends on how much trading/buying you do.

When I bought my 360 at a Best Buy, I traded in my PS2, all the games, some DS games and some PSP games. I turned in a lot of stuff. I signed up and got more extra money than the cost of the sign up. And I've used it a lot since then buying and trading in games. I probably saved/earned over $100 easily.

Now if you are not trading in a bunch of stuff and do very little trading and don't care for the magazine, then yeah it isn't worth it. But if you like the magazine and are doing a decent trade in and do a lot of trading or buy lots of used stuff then get it.

14. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I rarely trade in games, but I use the card all the time for used game purchases and love the little extra discount. Joe is spot on about the magazine. It's cheaper than doing a regular subscription and the reviews and commentary are enjoyable...IMO.

15. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This card is a must have for gamers that don't like collecting games and always looking for something new to play. I don't buy used games and I always keep the games I buy so I am not the target market. I have a couple of friends that all they buy is used and think this card is the greatest thing a gamer could have.

16. samtheman

Thanks for the info.

I used to have an Edge card maybe 5-6 years ago and I enjoyed the magazine and bought and traded used games fairly often.

Now I think it's a good idea since I noticed Assassins Creed came out about a year and a half ago and now it's 18 dollars. I think I'm just going to start buying used unless it's an absolutely must have game.