Heavy/Scratch: easy way to mod/combine Darkwind and Dreadwing/Treadbolt/Jetfire WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by shinobi77, May 10, 2009.

1. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    So I was fiddling with Silverbolt and Treadbolt today, and just......wasn't satisfied with the twistings and clunkiness of his combo forms, even had Treadbolt legs torn apart trying to figure out how to get them to combine and look okay.

Now, this is just a starting idea, and I'm going to get this farther done when my friend Deejay sends me my Darkwind.

But, I figure, that those that have Dreadwind already, may not want to destroy this 'spensive botcon exclusive, so I came up with this.

Now, all the mods would be done to Darkwind, and I've only started on this, but, as I get farther, I'll keep it updated.

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I will be doing this eventually myself. What I don't like about how you're doing it so far is that the rear jet is not able to touch the ground. I know that makes things a lot tougher to do, but I really think that's the way to go, to make the combined form still solid and everything. I'm actually toying with something kind of odd, basically a drone that you'd "imagine" the powermasters are inside of that would facilitate the connection of the two jets. This can TF into a robot, so it could work even when they're not combined. I figure I don't want to muck up my BC exclusive any, so I'm not gonna actually make powermaster ports anyway, so it seemed a cool way to go. *shrugs*

3. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Not a bad way to go. Im a little biased to my method haha. I like how it sort of resembles the G1, where Darkwind's nose cone flips up and points backwards when combined.

4. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    since this is silverbolt and not Darkwind, I wasn't going to rip silvy apart right now to finish it, once Deej sends me Dark, I will finish the mod so you can see how it will work, and yes, the other jet will be able to touch the ground when its done.

I can't wait to see how you are doing your Red, ought to be interesting as always.

Sol, I can understand your partialness, and while I do like the G1 ness myself, I don't like the way it looks like it all wedged together it seemed, not to mention he seems to loose any streamlined shape.

To each there own I suppose.

5. cowclone

cowclone I am lost..were am I?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice can't wait to see it done. so what are you useing to fuse them?:confused2 

6. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    well, I just took apart Treadbolts fastpack, and used the connecting bottom to make them join.

The other bits could make for good pylons for weapons mounting. :wink: 

7. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Very cool! I like easy mods that are effective!:drool: 

8. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    you'll have to excuse my ignorance on this one, did they combine in G1 or something? I don't remember this at all I like the idea for a non traditional looking Superion base though...

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    yep, sure did. look either of 'em up in the resources :) 

10. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    progress

okay, so I've got Darkwind from my buddy finally, and have proceeded on my modding.

a little trimming here, a hacksaw/blowtorch/sledgehammer there and....

even have it so they both touch the ground RedLine :gen069: 

Attached Files:

11. REDLINE

News Credits:
    pretty cool, and no modding necessary for the jetfire mold? Only thing I don't like is your transformation for Dreadwing... It looks better if you bend his arms so they still point forward instead of hanging out the back end, but that IS an opinion, so if you like it this way, there's nothing wrong with that. :) 

12. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:

I put the out the back, to add as another set of jets/thrusters since you are taking away treadbolt/dreadwing/jetfire's thrust.

and that is correct, no mods to jetfire mold.

The it's set up, there is plenty of room to move things around abit to make the look you want.

13. megatron784

megatron784 Well-Known Member

very cool.

14. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    and a bit more......

I've put the pylons on, but, I'm thinking the big boosters need a bit more breathing room.

Any ideas?:inquisiti 

Attached Files:

15. REDLINE

News Credits:
    honestly, I wouldn't want to use them at all, because neither character ever had a booster pack. the only reason the botcon repaint does is because it was cheaper to produce it with them than to change the mold to remove them, even with all that plastic.

16. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm REALLY liking that overhead view, but I think the only reason you're putting the pylons there is because that's where everybody stores the original Darkwind's guns.

RL's suggestion is best; leave them off. If they didn't have that forward-flippy action, you could add peg handles for Righteous Gunz Of Righteousness or something, but toss 'em in the project parts bin, and save yourself the hassle :)