Earth may be a Binary Star System? Planet X real?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Earth may be in a Binary Star System? Planet X real?

What the article states is that the Sol system may actually be a binary star system, with a brown dwarf (A proto-star that didn't quite reach the main sequence stage of a star's life due to a low mass which is innsufficient for the fusion of hydrogen). It may also be the reason behind all these mass-extinctions that happen every 26,000,000 years. Scientists think it may be somewhere in the Oort Cloud which surrounds our solar system. Brown Dwarfs are nowhere near the size of our sun, they are very similar in size to gas giants, which means one could be obstructed from view by the massive asteroids that occupy the Oort Cloud.

I remember reading all these 2012 doomsday scenarios and many believers claim that a brown dwarf will be the cause. It was also featured on an episode of Penn&Teller's Bullshit which was hilarious indeed. I doubt that this means that a massive cataclysm will occurr 2 years from now, but surely if this is proven to be correct (And the 26,000,000 year extinction pattern) another global-extinction could be within the next few thousand years, but long after our lifetimes luckily, and hopefully we would have colonized other planets by then. I'm actually doing a research paper on Binary Star Systems at the moment so this would be an interesting tidbit of info :D 

Article Summary:
    Link to the Article:
    NASA Could Be Close To Proving The Existence Of A "Death Star" In Our Solar System - Space - io9

AstroBio Article:
    Getting WISE About Nemesis

Comet head-on collision into the sun:
    Comet's dramatic death dive into the sun - Times Online

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    earth is not the sol system, despite what your topic title says. :p 

3. Tyrannosaur

:inquisiti  Then where is it? I'm pretty sure it is. Sol is the name of our star that is in the center of our solar system.

4. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well If Humans survived the first gas ball explsion we can survive this one :p 

5. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Interesting article, but what does it have to do with Planet X? As far as I knew, even in theory Planet X and Nemesis were separate concepts.

6. Tyrannosaur

The entire planet X scenario that many 2012 followers believed in was that planet X was a brown dwarf that passed through our solar system over a certain amount of time. Of course something like that crashing into the Earth would be clearly visible by now. I think Nemesis is another name for it like Nibiru is too.

Someone get Aernaroth and Coeloptera in here they'll love this :D 

7. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    I thought thought planet X was real, but it was confirmed to be the other half of Pluto?

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Quoted for truth and get them STAT!

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm seeing a whole lot of maybes, "possibly"s, and circumstantial evidence in that article, but not much actual substance. If WISE shines more light on the situation (no pun intended), so be it, but at this point there doesn't seem much more than a number of theories that noone seems to be able to agree upon.

As for the comet impact article, that's pretty awesome stuff, but remember that the sun is a way bigger target than the earth, and actively attracts stuff like comets to their spectacularly firey ends.

10. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Yes, there is a planet that has been given the name Planet X......

11. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

I like how NASA can drum up pictures from the opposite end of the friggin' Universe but they can't tell if there another star hanging out next door to our solar system. American tax dollars well spent.

12. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

I like how NASA can drum up pictures from the opposite end of the friggin' Universe but they can't tell if there another star hanging out next door to our solar system. American tax dollars well spent.

13. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Yeah, it certainly has nothing to do with those objects on the other side of the universe being gigantic and pumping out tons of easily visible radiation...

Sort of like how you can see the moon and stars at night, but can't see someone standing a few hundred yards away in the dark unless they turn on a light.

14. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

While I'm going to go with "I don't know" if there's a brown dwarf hiding out there in the Oort Cloud, simply being unsure isn't proof positive of anything. In my opinion and according to my understanding, if a brown dwarf was out there we would have noticed its gravitational effects on other bodies in the solar system. I haven't seen or read anything about gravitational anomalies that point towards a relatively high mass object such as a brown dwarf being out there.

It's like saying all volcanoes will erupt on such and such a date. There's no proof that it will happen but there's also no proof that it won't happen. People seem to freak out at the thought that there's no proof that it won't happen and take that as proof it will happen.

Agreed.

:banghead:  I should probably point out that brown dwarfs aren't really "stars" per se. They're star-like bodies but lack sufficient mass to ignite main sequence fusion at their cores. So while a star like our sun shines brightly a brown dwarf smoulders but doesn't produce such light. They're a lot harder to spot than a normal main sequence star.

Excellent rebuttal, my friend. I think that qualifies as a burn.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  15. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

So if the sun always attracts the comets what are the chances that the earth will attract one?

16. Tyrannosaur

Also agreed I too am skeptical about this debate. Would a Brown Dwarf the size of Jupiter though have enough mass to cause gravitational anomalies, or would it cause them but are not noticable because it may be residing inside or beyond the Oort Cloud? Forgive me my knowledge of Astronomy is only so vast I'm still doing a bit of my own research. It became such a discussion in my Astronomy Class it became a homework assignment :lol 

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    EARTH itself is not the sol system. Earth is in the sol system.

your topic title says "Earth my be a Binary Star Sysyem". A single planet cannot be a star system.

:p 

18. Tyrannosaur

The title didn't change? Oh crap my bad :lol 

19. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Well, the "attraction" in question is gravitational, and gravity is a function of mass, distance, and technically size (as gravity is not exerted from a single discrete "centre of gravity", but across the entire volume of an object). For our purposes, we'll forget about size, and just keep in mind that the more mass an object has (meaning how big and dense is it) the more gravitational attraction it will exert on other objects, and this attractive force will be weaker the farther away they are.

So what?

Well, the sun is about 109x bigger than the earth, and more importantly, has around 332,900x the mass as earth. This means that, not only does the sun represent a much greater gravitational force than the earth (hence why we orbit the sun, not vice versa, sorry non-heliocentric astronomers), it also represents a much bigger target for an object to strike or get close to. So its hundreds of thousands of times more likely the sun will attract a comet than the earth will attract a comet, possibly even more, because the earth's gravitational field lies within the sun's.

The most likely scenario I can think of is one where the sun attracted a comet, rather than the earth, that just happened to intersect the path of the earth at the right time, colliding with the earth. And the probability of this occuring, especially within our lifetime, is not very large.

20. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

Just like I thought not very likely to happen my guess if that the probability is .0000000000000000000000001%

The whole nemesis thing is pretty interesting it will be cool if they ever send a probe to over there or something so we can now more about it