Earth day!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crazy Ramjetty, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

turn off all envirementally bad things from 8:30 to 9:30 and if you are relly patriotic keep them off even longer!!!!!!!!did some body make a thread like this already?

2. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    It was supposed to happen here around 12hrs ago, but nobody actually bothered...

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I'm actually wasting more power than usual instead.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here. I switched on all my lights, turned on my TV, surfed the internet with my laptop plugged in, did a load of laundry, ran my dishwasher, baked cookies and microwaved supper. Surprised I didn't blow out a fuse somewhere.

5. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

Isn't this thread redundant? You need to be on the computer and using electricity to view/post in it....

6. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Ditto here. LOTS of people I know are fed up with this "green" BS and are leaving on everything tonight.

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Earth day can kiss my ass, i got Transformers Victory to watch

and how is turning everything off patriotic?

8. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    An impressive display of rebellion against common sense in this thread. Way to go! Turn everything on!

9. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

F that. I'm not turning off my lights for any dirty hippies.

10. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Rage! That will show those hippies! Who cares about future economic sustainability or the national security of any country outside of the Middle East, right?

11. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Tell me about it.

12. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

We shut everything down and unplugged. Me and the kids had a ton of fun!

13. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    This has nothing to do with either of those if the people in charge show some common sense. This is sort of a protest of sorts.

" I refuse to acknowledge, symbolically or otherwise, that electricity is the problem and that civilization can be saved by turning itself into North Korea for any length of time. The harnessing of electricity is among the greatest discoveries ever. It’s helped make the world safer and more sanitary. Electricity runs the equipment that is used to make the medicine that saves lives. It runs the cameras that allow us to see evils that are being perpetuated around the world that we might not have otherwise known about — except in North Korea, where you can’t see crimes at night because Earth Hour is mandatory 365 days a year. The list goes on. We should be celebrating electricity instead of pretending it’s some sort of cancer that needs to be cut out of our lives."

-Doug Powers

14. mineraljane

News Credits:
    I'm curious as to what you are really protesting? I mean, your personal reasons and not the man made of straw erected by the hilariously named (for this topic, at least) Doug Powers.

15. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    First of all, not a straw man in the least.

Secondly, I'll have to be careful what I say here so as not to get into political territory, but I guess the clearest I can be is the protesting of the idea of global warming/oil & natural gas is bad/by going about our daily lives we harm the planet/global governance of emissions is the answer.

16. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

must...resist...

17. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

:banghead: 

18. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Actually, most of the time, I conserve electricity. I'm only doing it this one day for the irony. ;) 

19. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Well, the author of the quote you provided erected a false comparison to buttress his argument. It's not convincing.

Regardless of the varying personal politics on how to deal with a certain issue, surely using less of a finite resource is a sound idea, right? I mean, at the least, it's a situation where you are more cognizant of turning off unnecessary lights, making sure your tires are inflated, turning off the faucet while you brush your teeth, et cetera. Those things aren't an inconvenience at all and don't disrupt normal life, yet when done on a massive scale, actually extend that same way of living many of us are accustomed. I don't understand why that needs to be opposed.

20. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    It's not a false comparison. It's the exact kind of thinking that is used by pretty much every leader of the green movement, which is what the article I was quoting was centered towards. Mankind & technology=cancer of the Earth, blah blah blah.

It needs to be opposed because we're using less and less of this finite resource to the point where energy prices (and thus the prices of everything) are going up needlessly up because we're too scared of "damaging the environment" to get more of it. Like many things, it's a good idea that's gone way too far. Yes, oil is a finite resource, but we've still got a lot lot LOT more of it we can use before we need to start worrying about running out. We need to stop artificially pumping dollars into other fuel sources that we simply don't have the technological capacity yet to make work nearly as efficiently as coal/oil/natural gas.
    So when the same people who are responsible for any energy crises we're having/will have tell us to turn off the lights "for the planet", although I usually turn off lights when I leave the room, etc., I give 'em the middle finger and turn all of my lights on for this one night. Don't they dare tell me that my existence harms the planet.