EA Sports Say "Eff This Used Game Sh!t"

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, May 11, 2010.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    EA always tends to squeeze customers for as much money as possible, be it DRM or by making them pay too much for a game that's terrible.

I wonder how long before car manufacturers start trying to stop used car sales?

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dunno? I think retailers buy the stock and its their loss if they can't sell it for retail. I don't think EA swoops in and pays the difference.

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Never bought a sports game in my life, and I don't play online that much, so this doesn't really affect me.

But maybe when developers go all digital, this won't be a problem any more.

4. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I wonder how much it costs to produce the disk, boxes, shipping, etc for Video Games. However, you know the consumer won't be saving any money if they went 100% digital lol.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    damn straight I don't see a price drop at all for games once it goes 100% digital. I don't see that happening for a long ways yet but it is indeed coming.

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

cause instead of the prices for etc, it'll just go towards the server spaces to store the games and the bandwidth so d/ls wont be days.

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    DRM doesn't cost the customer extra, it just causes problems for the PC communities and creates bad blood between the buyers and the company.

Entirely untrue. See Steam. The only notable exceptions in the last year or so being Assassin's Creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2, which were both listed for $60 because the publishers felt they could get away with it due to the "triple-a" nature of those titles. Needless to say that backfired for Activision at least, as MW2 was the most pirated game of 09. Digital customers usually pay about $10-15 less, per new title, and usually even more if they wait, and that's not just VALVe. For instance, I only paid $30 each for Borderlands and Fallout 3 on Steam and $15 for Assassin's Creed 1.

8. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I paid $5 for Assassin's Creed 1, gotta love sales on Steam.

9. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate Digital games. I want to "own" the games I buy.

10. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thats it? wow, I like those prices.:thumbs2: 

11. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well that didn't take long...

Ubisoft is jumping on the bandwagon with EA

Ubisoft To Tackle Used Game Sales - X360 News at IGN

lol, check out this IGN video

IGN Video: IGN Game Scoop! TV Video - Buying Used Is Bad News

If you buy used, your a scumbag!!!

People, will you please take a stand? lol, if anything else, buy the game USED :lolol 

Don't buy a game at launch. Wait 2 weeks and purchase the same game for a lot less (20+ probably NO TAX!!!) on Craigslist, Half, ebay....

FIGHT THE MAN!!!! Don't bend over for video game companies. They need YOU, you don't need them.

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In which case, the only person who helped them is the guy who bought the game originally. They really have no clue who the hell you are.

13. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, earlier someone said "Well... Mass effect was the greatest thing since sliced bread" so if you really feel the need to BUY THE GAME, get it used.

That way, when EA talks about "Madden sold X amount" of copies, they will have to mention the sharp decline from previous years and wonder why this happened.

I'm doing it. I have purchased Madden games since the Sega. I remember Madden when he looked young and was actually on the cover. I remember when madden introduced (well, stole it from Joe Montana Sports talk football) sound. I remember when the Ambulance would run over all the players to pick up the one guy that was injured.

For the first time in a long time, i'm not going to buy or play Madden. Screw EA, Activision and Ubisoft if they follow EA's model.

14. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I, personally at least, refuse to. I usually don't buy games until after the reviews have come in, or if its franchise with a proven track record. However, I'm aware that it takes upwards of 100 people to make a game, and they usually put blood, sweat and tears into their projects. If I buy used, those developers don't get a penny from me, and that just rubs me the wrong way.

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Yeah man, buy used, that'll show those damned developers who's boss and when they're all jobless and shit and you don't have anything new to play ever again you'll have won!

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  16. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I love that new game smell and the satisfaction in the knowledge that I'm the first to break the seal on the game or unwrap it and marvel in it's untouched glory.

Plus, it's a nice thank you to the staff who worked on the game that will consume my time.

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I try to buy my games new whenever possible. If companies want to give me a bonus for doing so, I welcome it. As Boardwise said, that new game smell when you open a sealed copy is fantastic. Strange as that is.

Exceptions being titles for older systems, or stuff I had to pass on due to lack of funds when it came out.

To be honest, now it seems a preowned copy can be less than £5 off of the price of a new copy. I'd rather pony up that bit extra to support devs.

Example, bought SSF4 for DK the other day. Could have gone with a used copy and saved a few quid, but I think its a great game and I want to support the people behind it. Im more than happy to have bought it twice :D 

18. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Always buy new, most of the time via Pre-order. Only time I buy used is when its for a console no longer in production, same with its titles.

I buy new, I know that 99.9% of the time I will have 0 issues with it, and I know that it wasnt abused by someone else that would of owned it. I don't need anyone to break in my games for me.

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think the last used game I bought was... uh Halo for the Xbox maybe?

Seriously, I just can't see the problem with Publishers wanting a slice of the used games market. As long as I can buy the game and have it physically in my hand, I'm happy.

Brick and mortar shops make money on sales of new games, as do the publishers and developers, whereas used games only benefit the shop.

This whole 'I won't pay full price for a crappy game' is meaningless, and, dare I say it, stupid.

20. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

THQ leads the charge!

UFC Undisputed 2010 requires code to play online (Update) - Destructoid