E3 2007: Killzone PS3 (looking impressive)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gigatron_2005, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I'm trying to care, but Halo 3 is out soon.

3. Gigatron_2005

4. McBradders

In all seriousness, Killzone is too little too late, had it been a launch title... maybe. But now? Seriously, who gives a crap? Who even liked the first one?

They've been working their fucking asses off since the original e3 unveiling to get it looking like that trailer. But at what cost?!

5. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

I dunno, it looks pretty awesome. I never really played the first one, but I don't really like Halo all that much. It's been less than a year since launch, how is that "too little too late?" It's looking like it'll definitely be the title to defend the blu-ray inclusion for gaming though (2GB on a single level good lord!), and the detail within those levels they're talking about sounds pretty amazing. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the video myself.

edit: Oh, the trailer is on Gametrailers. :p 

Lol, it starts like the CG one, only in realtime. And ooo, once they land and get to the gameplay, it looks AWESOME! Looking forward to seeing more (and this in HD).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  6. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Will it be enough to save the PS3?

Well...there's God of War 3 I guess.

So many threes...

7. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

Why do people get excited about this game?

8. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Let's not forget MGS4!

...in what? 2008? ¬_¬;

9. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That trailer was crap.

A trailer is supposed to get you excited about a game, I just kept wondering when it was going to end. At least they showed some action at the end but even then it was...well, ok.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I completely agree.
    Not only did Sony promise this kind of game at launch -they showed a trailer for this game that was 100% prerendered footage.
    So, it seems the goal of this trailer was to have it be similar to the first but actually have the PS3 pushing it this time.

Maybe I'm just jaded. If I had seen this one first I might have been impressed, but knowing the history behind it, I'm kind of like "So?".

11. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

So I am the only person to like the first KILLZONE game and also be utterly indifferent to HALO 1 & 2... okay *quietly leaves*

12. Gigatron_2005

Too little too late? Did you also whine that the 360 did not have Gears as a launch title?

And yes. Its such a bad thing when developers spend all their time and money to make a successful game. :rolleyes2 

Yes because all consoles have all their top tier A+++ games come out on launch day.:rolleyes2  And because Sony has NEVER shown prerendered footage before E3 2005.:rolleyes2 

Seriously guys. Its does not look like the E32005 trailer, but it is amazing that they're getting as far as they are with it. I dont think anybody really expected them to be able to pull it off as well as they are.

Link to trailer:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21490.html

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    With all of the hype that Sony continually shouted about the PS3 and the quality of its games (4D Gaming? True HD Gaming?) then, yes, they should have had a game of this quality at or near launch.
    If they wanted my money -absolutely yes.
    All they offered were the same games that were available on another system that costs hundreds of dollars less.

Every company shows prerendered footage. But when you have prerendered footage designed specifically to look like it is ocurring within a game's engine then I have a problem with it.

Especially when I am also seeing footage for something like Mass Effect and I am saying to myself "that couldn't possibly be in game" -but it is.

Do I think this footage looks impressive -yes. Very impressive.
    However, I am negatively impacted by Sony's deceptive marketing of the game.
    I am still waiting for the thing that makes me buy a PS3, and this is not it.

14. McBradders

I don't recall Microsoft hedging all their bets on the Gears of War moneyshot to impress everyone. The GoW footage created a buzz, and as has been discussed to death around these parts, there were some genuine decent titles in the time between launch and GoW, many of them -exclusive- to that system.

Let's see what we got on PS3... oh, well, you had Motorstorm and Resistance and... oh snap!

"Don't worry" they said "It's all coming soon!" so we waited. And we continued to wait, twiddling our thumbs and nothing came but shitty port after shitty port and it's still going on right now.

The Wii has/had the same issues, but then you're waiting on the PROVEN franchises. Metroid. Smash Brothers. MARIO. Garuantedd big sellers, worldwide.

Killzone was a FLOP. It sold shit, worldwide, for the money that was put in to it. And how much longer do we have to wait for a sequel which will likely be, yet again, all presentation and little substance?

Even with the pricedrop, it's still going to be hard christmas for the PS3, perhaps if Killzone 2 was on shelves at the time the pricedrop goes through it might boost sales some. Chances of that happening? Slim to none.

Guess there's always MGS4.

So, sir, I give to YOU;

[​IMG]

Good day.

15. Gigatron_2005

Wow. Awesome of you to completely pass judgment on a console thats been out for less than a year while bringing up as many red herrings as you can. The topic here is Killzone 2 for the PS3. Not the price of the PS3, nor the current game drought the system is in. Criticism of both the game's/Sony marketing and the suckyness first game however are valid.

360 has so many exclusives because it was the only available next gen system for almost a year. And lazy developers and lower budgets are the reason for "shitty port after shitty port". Right now, market share is obviously in the 360s favor, so the 360 will receive higher priority from 3rd parties. You seem to be blaming the first party for the actions of the third parties. Same ignorance that helped sink the gamecube. Wii is in the same game rut as the PS3 right now. Only difference between the two is that Wii is still flying off shelves because of its low price and "casual gamer" market. PS3 is getting good games. The lineup for the rest of the year past August is quite promising.

Because the first Killzone was not-so-good, how is the second game guaranteed to be bad? The Killzone spin off for the PSP is regarded as a very good game for the system. I think there is a lot of hope for this PS3 game. Thats like not wanting to play Zelda 3 because Zelda 2 sucked balls.

Then again, when somebody seems to have the Halo series as their gold-standard in console gaming, arguing is pointless. (and yes I know, argumentum ad hominem)

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think that arguing Sony's marketing of the game is quite on target, actually. Why is it not?

Also, why is it also off target to compare this to Halo? You know that people who are considering buying a system are going to.

I have a Wii, too. Yeah, it has ports, but it also has lots of exclusive games.

So far, Sony does not. The market seems to indicate they won't have a lot of them either. They have lost Katamari and the new Looney Tunes game isn't being developed for it. Looney Tunes is a minor game, sure, but it indicates the market's direction.

Killzone 2 looks good, real good. I hope you enjoy it.
    But Sony still has yet to show me something on their system that I just have to get.

PS -I had no idea the Gamecube tanked. Does anyone at Nintendo know that it tanked?

17. Gigatron_2005

I was referring to the 2005 CG trailer.

Yes I know it will be compared to Halo. Just like Metroid is. However, I really dont like the Halo series at all, so the bar there is pretty low IMO.

Yes. Wii is picking up, but there is still criticism about Wii games, or lack of. And in a head to head, 360 is outselling PS3, therefore multiconsole games will shift towards 360. The Katamari move to 360 however puzzles me. The market for 360 seems different than the market for PS2. It will be interesting to see how well Katamari sells on 360.

I sure do hope I enjoy it. :)  As far as other games go for PS3. Ive been impressed so far by games such as Lair, Little Big Planet, and Warhawk, but none of those games are out.

Most people say so. :p  I think GC was an awesome system, but sadly it got shoveled a bunch of crap ports and often lackluster third party support. I think some of that was the motivation to go to the Wii and to capture a more "casual" gaming market. Thankfully, Nintendo seems to doing just fine at the moment.:) 

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I guess I see your point. Now that I think about it 100% of my Wii games are from Nintendo. (I just found $100 so I will probably get Resident Evil -even though I just don't have time for it.) They do need better 3rd party support than ports that just have you swing the Wiimote instead of press buttons.

The Katamari move puzzles me, too. I figured it would also come out for 360 but I never guessed they would exclude the PS3. Why? You can't tell me it is that hard to port Katamari to the PS3.

Has Sony announced anything about God of War for PS3? That would get my interest. It would also be nice to see them revist Legend of Dragoon on PS3.

19. Gigatron_2005

20. McBradders

You brought up Gears as some kind of gold standard, be all end all of the console. I was merely making a counterpoint to that. As for the price and marketing of the PS3? Why -not- bring it up? It seems as relevant a point as any regarding Killzone, especially as it's been touted as a "killer ap" and "something to look forward to.

...that position didn't help the Dreamcast. At all. Even with Sega's incredible development teams working exclusively for them. As for the Wii, it has solid, bankable exclusives coming. This year. That has a lot to do with it flying off shelves.

As for the third parties situation, I can totally blame the first party. I have first hand knowledge of how Sony got in to such a great position in the first place, and can see exactly why they're slipping now beyond the price of the PS3, pre and post cut. It's very similar to how Nintendo slipped during the 64/Cube era.

A very good game in a completely different genre to the precursor? I can see how that logic works. And Zelda 2 sucking balls is highly debatable (not by me, I totally agree with you there).

:p 

Halo rocks, pure and simple. As does Rainbow Six Vegas, the Darkness, Riddick and probably another half a dozen console FPS's I've failed to mention. Halo is the yardstick, one I enjoy immensely. When you talk console FPS's, failing to bring up the most successful one ever is folly, regardless of your opinion on it. You may not like it but it does -so very much- exactly right (and just as many things exactly wrong).

But you're right, it may be a super neat game, I honestly don't know. What I do know is tales from inside development, the previous game and the enourmous uphill struggle it's going to have as the PS3's White Knight right now. It's going to take more than that to shift a $500 console...

...like maybe a Gran Turismo. Or another price drop.