e-Hobby Robot Masters Victory Saber Black Version

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zipdisk, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Zipdisk

Zipdisk Seven Color Carrot

Just got the above figure from TF Source. Having recently begun watching Transformers Victory, I was worried I might never be able to get my hands on a Star Saber figure for less than the price of selling my kidneys. So, when TF Source had their Summer Sale and a Robot Masters Victory Saber set, I had to get it, even if it is black with Decepticon symbols on it.

Quick Aside: The reason for the Black Version with Decepticon symbols has NOTHING to do with it being Nemesis Saber or Black Saber or anything like that. According to Teletran-1 the Transformers Wiki, it was because Star Saber and Victory Leo were trying to infiltrate a Decepticon operation in the Middle East and so, disguised themselves as a Decepticon. Which sounds kind of odd to me. Like George Bush putting on a fake beard and wandering into Afghanistan claiming to be a Taliban. Oh no, we'll never recognize the SUPREME COMMANDER of our enemies just cause he slapped on a new paint job. Then again, this is the Victory Decepticons and if it was the Dino Force, you could probably fool them by wear a few leaves and the world TREE written across your chest in crayon and they'd buy it. Aside over... and man, not that quick of one, sorry.

Anyway, the box is rather nice and the packaging is pretty standard. The set comes with Star Saber and Victory Leo plus a few weapons including guns for SS and VL, SS's sword and a big gun for their combined form: Victory Saber. The figures are about Deluxe size, maybe a tad bit smaller but well made and decent representations of the characters from the show (aside from coloration and markings). They transform rather well independently into a futuristic jet and a robot lion. There are a few complaints though.

I really wish Star Saber's head was better concealed. He has a smaller robot inside of his chest that forms the bulk of his chest unit when in robot mode (he was originally a Brainmaster figure in the G1 line and this is as close as they could get to that in such a scaled-down version) with a tiny head and a larger head on his back that fits over the tiny one when converted. In jet mode, however, the head is obvious on his back as is the hinge that holds it in place. A minor complaint really.

My second complaint relates to Victory Leo. In his Beast mode, his back section (which forms his legs in robot mode) does not peg together and tends to seperate easily. I wonder if there was some engineering reason for this or if it was a cost thing or just an oversight. I don't know but it seems a pretty big flaw in the figure. A minor quibble is that his robot face is visible from beneath his lion-head in robot mode but that's a little thing that doesn't bother me too much.

Combined into Victory Saber, the figures look pretty cool. He's got some nice size to him, he's pretty tall and the wings on the back look great. His arms seem a bit short though, since they are only his Star Saber arms, expecially considering the extra inch or so you add to his feet with parts from Victory Leo.

Still, for a relatively obscure (in the West) character that is hard to find, I would definitely suggest picking up this set. Especially if you can still get him on the Summer Sale for $35. All in all, a good figure and one I am glad to add to my collection.

Now I just have to find some way to get a Deathsaurus.... Deszarus... whatever. Maybe they'll do an e-Hobby repaint of him in 'Autobot Disguise'.

2. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    $35 is not bad considering how much the other Robot Masters black exclusives are going.

3. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shouldn't this be over in Feedback?

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    $35 is an excellent price for this set. Another really nice thing about it is that e-hobby Starsaber's sword handle is a tiny bit looser then the regular version; this means he can hold it without the handle breaking off in his hand (a common problem with the regular one).
    Incidentally, Zipdisk; boxed Starsabers do pop up at non-ridiculous prices occasionally. Just keep a close eye on ebay. He's WELL worth getting too; of course, then you'll have to get Victory Leo as well... ;) 

5. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the two-pack metallic version set of these, and they are OK, but not great... they're cheap quality plastic and lazily engineered... my set is currently in pieces in the middle of a full articulation and detail upgrade, but I ran into a setback with the paint bc/ of the terrible plastic quality. I will point out, however, that Star Saber's big head works exactly the same way on the full size toy... It basically forms a turret on the big cruiser. Your observations on Leo are in consensus with most other reviews of the toys... they're floppy and lazily designed.

On an aside, don't count yourself out of getting an original Victory Saber pair completely... if you're looking for loose subjects, the deals are out there. I got my Star Saber in gorgeous mint condition (needs new stickers, missing the sword blade) for $115 shipped, and just had a Victory Saber in dead mint with beautiful stickers and no missiles secured for me for $225... it's a fair bit of money, but not as astronomically expensive as ebay would lead you to believe... less than $350 shipped for the pair seems like a great price considering their condition, and that I paid $275 shipped for an Overlord with major yellowing and no stickers. You just gotta be patient... and on the prowl.

6. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Just a heads up, another cheap SS figure you can get your hands on is the non-transforming Mega SCF figure, for 10-15 bucks. I got one of them when I became a big Victory-head.

7. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I own that pair as well... the Mega SCF figs are kinda hit or miss... the PVC is really poor quality, and IMO the fully transforming RM pair is a much more fun to own set than the MSCF set.

8. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I have the metallic two set. I like them both. But as you guys have said, the quality of the plastic is pretty poor and the sword cant go all the way in or you risk breaking the handle. The tabs that hold his arms to the legs in alt mode is also a tight fit. The combination int that original but its like the original so nothing you can really do.