Minor/Repaint: E hobby black megatron black chrome

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by convoymagnus, Dec 12, 2010.

1. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    Hi, this is more a kind of informative thread of a product I found that could be useful for all radicons here.

It all started in 2000 when ehobby launched their black megatron special. At that time I did not find it that interesting so i skipped it, what a mistake!

well last year e-hobby re-launched it and I got it, however when I received it I realized the sad truth. NO BLACK CHROME for this re-reissue, they applied some blackening but they did not do it right so it looked like regular chrome, and this really bugged me because it does not look real, a black gun with a chrome main body, just sucks.

well I found a product called "SHADOW" chrome black out,It is a translucent black tint followed by an ultra clear gloss finish that will give any chromed piece the appearance of black chorme, so I tried it in my black ehobby megs.

The first pic is of the pieces before applying the coating, the rest is the beautiful results(the pics do not make justice, because it really looks chromed but pics almost do not show this).

point to consider:

1- follow the product instructions carefully
    2- do not overdo on the black coating do light coats until your desired tone of black (I wanted mine to be as dark as possible but then I ended with the black coating looking more like gunmetal than black chrome, fortunately, when you apply the clear it fuses with the black coat and brings the chrome shine back again)
    3- The clear coats MUST BE WET!!! otherwise it wont bring the chrome shime back again.

I want to keep the post short so if You have any question on this experience feel free to ask.

Hope you like it and find the info is useful.

Attached Files:

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could have done this as easily with possibly better results with tamiya clear smoke paint as well, but your results look good here as well.

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Nice ! This 'issue' has withheld me from buying the e hobby "black" Megatron.

4. convoymagnus

Ebay:
    Yep I thought of this, but tamiya is an acrylic hobby paint, I do not think would blend good over chrome, but the most important is that I do not know how chip or scratch resistant would be , and this thing I used being automotive paint (from duplicolor is very resistant to chips and scratches.

5. Sparkplug2517

Sparkplug2517 Member

all the paint is,is a candy coat of black you could have bought a pint from sem for like 30$ and mix to you want then spray.

6. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yep, I agree. Looks slick man, nice!

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like yours better than my official 00 Black Megatron lol. Good work!

8. convoymagnus

Ebay:
    Kandy $30.00 + clear coat around $10.00 = 40.00, plus you have to thin it and apply with aibrush.

The shadow kit is $18.00 includes the black and clear coat.

I am lucky to own 3 airbrushes, but for those who do not, this thing comes in a spray can ready to apply.

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, but you see, there is also tamiya's lacquer spray smoke clear. Lol, sorry, I couldn't resist to through that out there. I don't know how much this costs, so that is an alternate choice for doing this, :) .

10. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    neat

now all u need is cough cough a new head for him :)