E-bay shill bidder question.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by wheeljaxx, Sep 26, 2007.

1. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

ok, so i'm bidding on something, and i go see who's bidding as well, and i see something fishy. i see ( example only) a***b (8) for the bidder, then, the othe rbidder is c***d(21)

is this something that e-bay does now to hide the user or are these the bidders user names.they never used to do that, i was always able to see the other bidders full user names. if so, then i'm retracting my bid, because the same bidders are bidding on all the sellers auctions driving the price up.

2. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yeah, did some digging, all the other "bidders" have only ever bid on this sellers items except one, but has bid on this sellers items, and i mean, it;s REALLY obvios its' shill bidding, all the user names are pretty much teh same, and all have very low feedback and all with the same seller, and FUCK, i really wanted it too

3. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Retract NOW.

This happened to me when I finally got my Browning, I didn't realize it until it was too late. :( 

4. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    That sucks, man, What was it?

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:

Yup, retract your bid.

I would also suggest posting up the auction link or the sellers ID so we can all watch out for him.

6. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I'm losing my patience with eBay. Our fees are constantly going up disproportional to the service we are receiving.

7. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Ya ebay's initiative to stop fake email about 2nd chance offers by hiding the bidder identity is backfiring.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    All the weird names like c**t and f**k are just ebay's new way of hiding bidder names. You see it all the time now.

That doesn't mean there's no shill bidding going on.

9. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    This is from another thread about the same thing but it still sounds like good advice.

Shill bidding is why I tend to wait until the last 30 or so seconds until the auction is over before I bid.

10. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

What's shill bidding? Is it a way to force the auction to end at your maximum bid?

11. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I
    It's having other accounts (or friend's accounts) bidding on your auctions with no actual intent to win, but to drive the price up. I suspect the last two auctions I bid on to have been inflated by shill bidders.

12. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes.

You use anothe ebay account to keep driving the price up to try and hit the buyer's maximum bid, regardless of how low it actually was.

Like say there's an item currently at $1, and you put a max bid of $30, but people only bid it up so it's at $5. The shill bids drive the price up, and even if they go over, the seller can just send you a second chance offer, which would end up being at your highest bid, or at least close to it. When otherwise, you would have paid $5.

13. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Are all the other bidders names, hidden, or just a few?
    There is an option,in the bid set up, to have all bidders be annonymous. Auctions over a certain amount become annonymous too. You will be able to see your name but that's it, if they have the annonymous feature, set up.

14. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I'm seeing a lot more of this lately. There are several auctions I'm watching right now that have this shill bidding bullshit going on. One of the auctions in particular is for an entire Alternators lot. The same guy has been trying to sell it for weeks with a "buy it now" price of $1600.00 USD. It never sells. Then this past week someone finally bid on it. What came next? A bid from someone with a "0" feedback rating who just signed up. Yeah, because I'm sure someone who has never been on eBay just signed up solely to buy a $1600.00 auction. I'm actually tempted to alert the legitimate bidder about what's clearly going on.

The other thing that eBay *really* needs to get control of is how feedback is issued. I am sick to f*cking death of winning auctions, paying for them right away, and then have to beg the sellers to leave me feedback. More often than not they try to pull the "we'll leave feedback once it's left for us" stint. That is complete bullshit. As a buyer who alreay paid for the item, I should not be the one who leaves feedback first. Obviously I know why they do this: in case they take forever to ship the items and are left megative feedback, they can leave negative feedback as well so as to bring your rating down. Then if confronted about it, a "mutual withdrawl" is done, in turn meaning their rating doesn't go down while yours doesn't go up.

There should be some sort of automated system put in place where if a buyer pays for an item immediately or within the specified timeframe, that the seller has to leave positive feeback *before* the buyer is even able to leave any feedback for them in return, good or bad.

15. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Well said IMO

16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Whenever I see the ridiculous amounts that some customs go for, my first thought is always shill bidding then I realize most of the people buying them probably just don't know any better.

17. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yeah, i checked other in progress auctions and none of teh ones i checked had any bidders user names hidden like this, so it's either just totaly random e-bay applies this new method of buyer protection, or it's the seller shill bidding his auctions up.

the auction is for a liokaiser. i have 4 of the 6 bots, but missing the misiles and breast partners, plus, i havn't seen either drill horn and killbison up in a long time, so i figured id just get this and sell the ones i have, but this shill bidding thing pisses me off, and i have the patience to wait for an honest seller.

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Easy to avoid most Shill bidders, SNIPE, it's legal!

19. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i was outbid by one of the bidderds anyway, oh well. patience is a virtue

20. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Correct. Actually, there for awhile, I couldn't see any other usernames at all. I just bidder3, bidder15, bidder 7, etc.