Dzko Vs ToysRUs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Nov 7, 2011.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

So, I have a little story for ya'll. Not sure if I am in the wrong, or they are. However... -busts out the campfire-

So, on October 18th I applied to ToysRUs based upon the website saying that they where hiring. Fair enough. One of my friends mentioned to me that it is a good idea to call management and inquire about the status of my application. So I do so.

"Hello, my name is -insert my name here-. I would like to ask about the status of my application."

" Mmm, based upon the application. Says here you are not elligible to work at Toys R Us... sorry."

"May I ask why?"

"Sorry, I am not allowed to give that information out, however if you call tomorrow the hiring manager will be in and he should give you some answers..."

So, I call the next day.

"Hello, my name is -insert my name here-. I would like to ask about the status of my application, I was told to ask for the hiring manager."

"Hello I am the hiring manager. Hm, yeah sorry you are not elligble to work at Toys R Us..."

"May I ask why?"

"I am not at liberty to answer that, however you may call corprate for a better answer."

So, I do so. I sit on the phone for three hours waiting for somebody to answer, and finally I get a man by the name of Greg. Who I explain the situation to, and get hung up on, only to call back to receive the answering machine directly.

Needless to say I am a bit furious...

2. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cover up!

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    See, now I'm curious as to what sort of things makes someone ineligible to work at TRU. Like, if this was *insert place we hate*, I'd think it was something to do with having respect for customers, but I don't think Toys R Us would be against that sort of thing.

... guess it could have to do with not having enough experience or mistakenly saying that you can't legally work in the country or something (I fucked up on something like this before because I thought it was asking if I was an immigrant or whatever and the same goes for saying that I wasn't Bondable because I took an idiot teacher's word on what that meant instead of actually looking into it on my own), but those aren't nearly as entertaining.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Is there actually anything on your resume that might make someone think twice before employing you, like a criminal record?

5. TheDemonDzko

Nacht, the worse thing about me... I collect toys... And that obviously isn't on my resume.

6. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, considering that most places won't even let you inquire at all (or they give you the usual bullshit about reviewing resumes because of how badly they're set up/because they have a flawed understanding of what customer service is), I think you got a pretty solid amount of info.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That seems strange. I mean, you might have something that makes you unhirable at this time, but why wouldn't it be something they could tell you? You filled out the application, you know what information is on there, so why can't they just tell you what bit of information is stopping you? The only thing I can think of would be that you filled something out incorrectly or spelled something wrong, and when that happens they just can't tell you.

8. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I was a Department Manager for them once, you are better off with Unemployment

9. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As someone who regularly reviews applications, normally, just to avoid any kind of legal hassle, we won't disclose the reason for not hiring. For example, maybe someone put down that they can only work from 9-5. My business stays open much later than that, so we generally won't hire anyone with that availability. But if we tell someone that, they may come back with, 'Well, I'm blind in one eye, and can't drive after dark.' Then it becomes a discrimination issue. Instead, we just say 'Based on your application, we have chosen not to hire you at this time, but will keep your application on file.'

10. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Toys r us do criminal background checks to the day you were born. Why? Kids store. Regardless they are at liberty to not hire you for any given reason much like at will employment there is at will pre employment unless you find a reason that is unconstitutional (racism for isntance).

Also more and more places don't hire people with bad credit scores (talk about catch 22s). Don't forget that a previous employer can say they wouldn't hire you back (by law, at least in michigan, they can't give a prospective new employer any details).

11. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    They probably found all of your nasty comments and pictures on Facebook.

:p 

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ This...to an extent. I've also been in a recruitment role and basically, whenever anyone is unsuccessful in an application we just feed them BS until they go away. The reasons for not hiring them can even be as trivial as the fact that we didn't like their name, or they worked somewhere we got some bad service from once. It sounds like they are just fobbing you off with some vague excuse and passing you on to the next person who doesn't give a damn.
    Sorry, sounds harsh but that's what really goes behind the scenes. Plus I've heard some absolute HORROR stories about working for TRU from a lot of different people, so sounds like you sidestepped the landmine there buddy.

13. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I was turned down for employment at TRU, and the reason they gave me was that I was overqualified. The manager said that it wasn't worth it to pay to train someone who is likely to get a better offer within 6 months.

14. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Like there's a whole lot of training going on at retail. Trucks come in on M-W-F, take boxes off of trucks, take products out of boxes, put products on shelves, wash-rinse-repeat. Oh my God, that was, like, soooooo difficult and expensive!

15. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

That happened to me once. Back in '02 when I was fresh out of college, and was having trouble finding work in my field, I applied at Wegmans up on Walden. The exact reason was that I was overqualified.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^did you explain that you drool a lot and hate corporate america to violent degrees?
    instant hire.

17. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I hope that this is legal, but are you allowed to show us your interview?

18. TheDemonDzko

Regardless, now it just makes me wonder what I am supposed to do. Sit here with my thumb up my ass... Or.

19. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, you could always look for another job while retaining your toy collecting hobby. That seems like a pretty solid way to come back from this.

20. TheDemonDzko

=P I'm always looking for work dude. Remember i'm the guy, that was bitching about his life being crappy.