Dynasty Warriors - Transformers?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Polenicus, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I apologize if this idea has been suggested before.

But after playing Dynasty Warriors: Gundam with a friend, I have to admit I like the whole concept. Take various heores from all the ages and realities of Gundam, stick 'em together in mixed teams, and let them go at each other on the Dynasty Warriors battleground. It works for Gundam... especially as they took the time to develop interesting interplay between characters from different series. Who would have thought that Domon, Milliardo and Puru would be a fun combo?

So... why not Transformers?

Grab characters from G1 through Cybertron, cherry picking the favourites from each. G1 Optimus and Megatron, G2 Jihaxus, Armada Starscream, Beast Wars Optimal Optimus, Cybertron Hot Shot, Classics/Stormbringer Jetfire, etc. Put them in unlikely alliances. Toss in a huge number of grunts (Seekers, Terrorcons, Scrapmetals, Shockwave's Drones, Sweeps, etc) and have them fight their way through.

I think, if done right, it could work really well.

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd buy it.

3. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I'd buy it, but they would have to come up with a new/interesting gameplay aspect for the transformations. I'd also buy a Super Robot Wars-style TF game.

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds good. i was talkingwith a mate about this and my main arguement way that unlike on dynesty warriors where if you lose a horse it takes longer to travel you are the horse as well as the warrior. it would be so cool to go into battle with an army of Autobots and then transform and roll out to the next location

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Transformers Tatakai for the PS2 (Japan Only) was a similar approach to a game as Dynasty Warriors Gundam, though I felt it had more akin to the old PS2 game The Bouncer in soem respects. Unfortunatley it was a terrible game that made pretty poor use of the license.

If an approach like that is ever used again, I hope that Koei is not involved. I find the DW games to be bland and toeing the line between mediocre and bad. Activision had a solid base model for a TF game with the movie game. The controls were tight, the battlefields fairly large and graphics decent to spectacular. If they could make some overhauls to the fighting system and make the firearms actually useable, throw in a lot more recognizable enemies and a decent mission structure and they could have a serious winner that would blow DW Gundam out of the water.

6. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Oooh, sounds like fun.

But how was Dynasty Warriors: Gundam? Reviewers are having the opinion that it stinks.

7. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I quite enjoy it, but then I'm partial to games like this.

Make no mistake, it's a button masher. But the order you mash the buttons makes a difference (Determines which 'combo' you do) as well as your choice of machine.

Some Gundams are Transformable, and in this game that manifests as a short-term flight mode (You overheat fairly quickly, but it lasts long enough to get you through a couple of fields, and resets fairly quickly). The game requires a LOT of repeat playthrough to unlock everything, and the storylines are different depending on which pilot you play. We've had the most fun with 2 player, as it allows you to deal with those sudden attacks on your dropship much more easily (The game likes to dump these on you when you're on the other side of the map. With 2 player you can keep 1 Mobile Suit closer to home). There's also a number of small 'tricks' such as dashing right after a Triangle button combo and attacking 3 times to extend a normal combo, or using boost button to recover mid-air from a knockback.

It's a game that takes some time to unlock the really cool stuff. I can see it not being for everyone.

8. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Well, it can't be worse than the other Gundam games before this...

Sounds like Gundam fans will appreciate the game.

9. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I've played DW Gundam on the PS3 at Gamestop, was cool(i'm a Warriors fan i have DW5 SW1 and WO hehe) but yeah i think Koei would do a nice job with TFs long as they did make em transform to be like the horses of DW/SW fame heck the stronger horses can take the grunts out sometimes so i don't see why TFing to vehicle mold and running/flying into things wouldn't work also.

Though if they ever were to do such i'd hope it wouldn't be called DW: Transformers, i reall hate the name DW: Gundam, should have just been Gundam Warriors or Warriors Gundam.

10. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Dynasty Transformers...

o_O 

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I kind of agree with Joe.

Despite the complete lameness of the movie game I think Activision could reuse the assets and make another game of it. The controls on the vehicle mode would have to be completely redone, guns would have to actually work, and I swear to God, I will never play another game with "Action Zones". Never!

The reason why the Dynasty Warriors formula works with Gundam is that Gundams series typically show one hero character (and sometimes Heero character) blasting hundreds of "grunts". Also, Gundams typically have a weapon analagous to a sword or spear or the like.

If there was a Transformers "mash up" game, I am not certain that I would want it to be a Dynasty Warriors type of game. Maybe some other type of action game closer to Devil May Cry or something. However, I would want to see a reason to transform other than going from one point to another.

But, if another developer gets their hands on Transformers and the button to transform is called "convert", I will :cry .

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It could work, although there's a problem with the issue of "clones". Gundam works on that level thanks to the mass produced units, TF not so much thanks to the lack of "mass production" types.
    Energon had the Terrorcons, they worked. G1 does have Sharkticons, and the G2 comics had the Imperial Cybertronians. Ultimately to make the idea work for fans, you would either need new drone enemies, or a concept like the G2 comic (which would make a great DW type game, especially since you could play either Optimus or Megatron, or any number of other characters)

Though I personally would prefer something closer to the Armada game, maybe with more boss fights and vehicle modes that do more than the occasional jump.

Purely a prototype - needs some graphical tweaking, a new design for Soundwave, and a lot more besides, buuuuuuut:

[​IMG]

Made in RPG Maker XP, using the Zenith Tactical Battle System Scripts. FYI it's more like Brave Saga, transforming is only in the cutscenes and maybe the odd special attack (like Grimlock or Sen- oops, maybe I should keep him secret)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  13. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I'd play it. The Naysayers can complain all they want, but I've always found the series fun (the bazillion expansions... not so much).

Especially if they did it like Warriors Orochi, which has a decent set of storylines, a level up system, and the ability to switch out between 1 to 3 characters at once. They could also add some of the things they're adding into DW6, such as climbing, swimming (and for TFs, flying). With each character having a couple of completely unique skills (again, like WO), it'd be awesome. For example, using Blurr you could move incredibly fast, but it consumes your Energon Bar, so you can't do it for long. Mirage could go temporarily invisible, and Rumble could create shockwaves that knocks enemies back.

Imagine fighting as Soundwave, Starscream, and Frenzy... You are fighting with Soundwave and end up coming to a wall with Grimlock, Swoop, and Snarl guarding it. You could either fight through, sneak through using Frenzy, or get a running start with SS and transform into a jet, flying over the wall.

For the vehicle mode, they could go like Samurai Warriors where, after taking so much damage, you're forced back into robot mode. As for drones, just make some more obscure G1 bots the drones. Gestalts could be special bosses, not playable in the game. Again, taking a cue from WO, there could be four main storylines: two for the Autobots and two for the Decepticons. Each side would then have a story for the Season 1-2 and then the Season 3-4 TFs.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  14. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Wow nice. Where'd you get the chipset? Also is the battle system like Brave Saga 1 or 2?

15. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

That's not true though. The instances of a single mobile suit destroying hundreds of mobile suits in a single battle are so few that they might as well not exist (as far as everything up to SEED, which I haven't bothered to watch).

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Fair enough. I will clarify.
    The story structure in Gundam is more inclined to show a hero against an army of homogenous enemy types, or "grunts'. In Transformers, the enemies are almost always individual characters. I suppose the enemies could be Terrorcons from Energon -they fit the description.

However, if you want to see one Mobile Suit destroying hundreds of others I present Gundam Wing as an example. I know that does not represent every Gundam series in tone and style, but it does set the precedent that a Gundam is capable of doing that and the Gundam fans have seen it before.

Again, I am all for a Transformers mash up type of game, I just don't know think it has to be DW style. The main reason is that I want to have a compelling reason to turn into a car or whatever.

17. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

It's too bad Transformers were never included in Another Century's Episode.

Now THAT is a great mecha series.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's a Pokemon set, believe it or not! since Pokemon uses tiles about 1/2 what the RMXP script uses, you really get a sense of scale.

Battle system isn't quite Brave Saga standard - things like counter attacks and attack "scenes" are missing, but it seems to work about the same underneath. Provided I can set things up right, it ought to be a fun little game.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Sol, I have no idea what you are making.

Those are Pokemon chips?
    Are you actually burning a ROM?
    Is this something you can share when you are finished?

Pardon my ignorance. It's a state of mind. :) 

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    he's using the software RPG Maker XP to make a transformers game. chipset refers to the environmental tiles.

it's available at download.com as a 30 day trial, afterwards you can pay 60 dollars to keep using it. it's worth every cent.