Dylan was an imbecile

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jan 30, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Dylan Gould is portrayed rather differently in the comics/novel and the film. In the former, he is more comfortable with being Decepticon agent, as well as being an ambitious maniac: he believes his service will be rewarded with the position of Earth leader, which he desires greatly (never mind an alien invasion, human losses or that he’d only be a puppet). The film has him more rational and fearful (perhaps realistically): he is very aware that he’s working for evil robotic aliens, but is too cowardly and selfish to care beyond preserving his own hide.

Anyway, he made some serious blunders (I refer to the events in the film):

- On the first viewing, I was confused as to why they didn’t kill Dylan after the Xanthium was destroyed; I was under the impression that he’d extended his usefulness to the Decepticons by literally selling out the human race, with the proposal that he rule them as slaves. I was wrong: the enslavement was always Sentinel’s plan, and Dylan was kept alive for the slave-leader post. This would mean he had nothing to offer his clients; his life was in their hands to do what they would, as soon as his usefulness ends or they were tired of him he’s dead. He probably would have found nothing to use as a bargaining chip, but still if you were working for guys who’d kill you (family connection or not) wouldn’t you try to look for one?

- Keeping the hero’s girl for yourself is a great plan, unless you consider the fact that “she is very smart.” Right after this compliment, Dylan proceeds to tell Carly the Decepticons’ plan, including how it’ll work. He warns her not to jeopardize things (“Don’t jinx me. You want to survive, you listen to me!”), but of course that didn’t really stop her from deliberately provoking him (“I guess they didn’t tell you about this part, did they?”). It’s probably me, but I got a really inept vibe from Dylan that he couldn’t keep control over the girl he stole.

- He didn’t notice the transfer of Decepticon leadership. Of course the situation hadn’t really change that much (his main contact was Soundwave), but still it seems he wasn’t aware of it and things might not have gone well for him under the new leader (Sentinel Prime is a mostly unknown factor with humans, but as he himself has stated he does not take orders from them).

- When he confronts Sam at gunpoint, he says there’s only one future for him. Apart from the fact that he could have made a getaway from Chicago and be free of his masters (with his wealth he could have become the next Mengele), he’s fighting for a future that was non-existent: his contacts were gone (Starscream, Soundwave) or out of commission (Megatron) and the other Decepticon troops would not have known or cared what he did and would gun him down for the fun of it.

- He fights Sam off and reactivates the pillar. I’m figuring that from his POV all he had to do was keep the pillar working till Cybertron was fully through the space bridge, and that the Decepticons would handle the rest. Great idea, except the battle is going on around him; right around the time he got electrocuted Megatron was BFRing Sentinel, the Wreckers took Devcon’s head off, and NEST along with Ratchet and Bumblebee were on their way to the pillar. So with the tide of battle having turned, what was he going to do then?

- When he faces down Sam, he does nothing; not even a defensive posture. He lost his gun and his adversary’s got a rebar, and yet he does nothing but taunt him, riling him to the point where he strikes him down. A apt fool’s end right there.

What is interesting to me is that these could have been deliberately written into the script; kind of emphasizing that Dylan would have been nothing without the Decepticons. It’s more likely these were more plot elements though.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    He probably made the decision that it's better to rule in hell than serve in heaven, and just kept going deeper and deeper down that hole until he was completely trapped in the consequences of his decisions and had to made more and more irrational choices out of fear of those consequences.

Sunk Cost fallacy, basically.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    He picked the wrong team. :p 

4. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    I think he kept fighting Sam to save Cybertron because for one he knows how the cons operate and that he would not be safe leaving. He also thought that protecting the pillar would get him favor with whoever lived to be leader. Not realizing how little Megatron cares about honor.

5. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did like how they gave him a tinge of fear regarding his own fate:

"They will slaughter her, you understand me? In the time it takes you to blink...they will do it to her, and they will do it to me."

Anyone notice how his voice drops when he considers his own safety/worth to them?

6. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Dylan was one of my many complaints about DOTM - I just couldn't buy into the character or his motivations.

I thought it made very little sense why he wanted to keep fighting Sam when he knew the Autobots were about to win.

Dylan is the kind of character that needs a little bit more backstory than what they gave him. As it stands, I could have done without the entire subplot with him - it seems added in for the sake of Sam rescuing his damsel.

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

If the Autobots won, Dylan would be brought to justice for his crimes.

To put it simply, the whole rhyme and reason of his character was fear, he feared being killed by the Decepticons, so he served them faithfully, he feared being brought to justice, so he sided with the 'Cons even in the darkest hour.

80% of the time we see him, he's having a mental breakdown due fear ["They told me I'm safe. They told me I'm safe.", "You think they give you a choice?"], and 20% of the time being a rich jerk. Sometimes both.

I do happen to prefer him in the movies because he's less of a cunning mastermind and more of a poor bastard caught in the middle of a storm.

8. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

Yeah by the end, the only way he wasn't ending up in jail or executed for inhumane war crimes and treason (he sold out his own race to slavery remember. He'd get 100 times worse what they did to Nazi war criminals) was if the Decepticons somehow won. Hence him doing his best to help them win, and nudging for them to execute their prisoners.

As for not doing anything when Sam kills him. He seemed under the impression that Sam didn't have it in him to kill another human. Especially since he didn't shoot him earlier. And he was almost right, because Sam does kind of break down temporarily after he does kill him, as he just kind of stands there staring into space, while Ratchet and Bee take down the pillar.

9. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes didn't really care for the actor...

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That he was.

11. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I agree. What asshole bosses Soundwave around?

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Megatron, traditionally.

13. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Human asshole, I should say...

(Get that thought out of your head)

14. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

True.

I just didn't buy into the character. Part of it could be the actor, as Dempsey didn't fit into the movie to me. I don't think he's bad per say, just didn't fit.

Another part could be that the character was just thinly written- he felt shoehorned in to give Sam someone to fight. Without Dempsey and the "save the damsel" plot, Sam wouldn't have had very much to do.

15. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    agreed. Dylan's too stupid to actually be an accomplice in this movie.

16. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

I thought he was a great character IMO.

17. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same here. I rather liked his character, especially since he was nuanced beyond just, "Hahaha, Ima take over the world with the Cons!" I enjoyed that he feared the Cons as much as he was working for them. Wished that his relationship with Soundwave was explored more in depth, but what can you do.

Then again, when the past comparisons for costars are annoying scrubs like Leo and the evil nameless bureaucrat that Lennox parachuted out the back of a plane in ROTF, Dylan looks to be as deep as a Shakespearean character in hindsight.

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    They were bros. I doubt Soundwave minded.

If Dylan had a shred of common sense in him, he'd have defected to the Autobots the moment he found out about what happened to the Decepticons in Egypt, which I'm sure he would have.

19. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Yeah, this. I didn't see it as "bossing" him around. To me, they were basically partners. There wasn't any "controlling" going on between them. Soundwave probably say Dylan's siding with them as an efficient means to accomplish a goal.

20. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

a weakling of a man