Customs: dying

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by katch26, Jun 30, 2009.

1. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ive looked through alot of the threads on dying but didnt quite get the exact answer Im looking for so I do apologize if its been covered before. A white plastic would be ideal but on colored plastics is there a limit to how much you can get the color to change? I have an extra prime figure thats incomplete that I wanted to make nemesis prime so I was really curious to see if red/blue can be made jet black?, or will it just get darker red or blue whatever the case may be.

2. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love dying figures, but it really depends on the plastic I think. I have some figures that I do the exact same process (sometimes in the same tub of dye) and one will come out black, and one will come out just darker.

Here are some basics.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214539-how-dye-figure.html

I use RIT dye with a bit of acetone, and leave the figures in for a couple of days, in cool temperatures to avoid the warping issue.

For example...these two were done with just dye:

Still see the decepticon logo:
    [​IMG]

The original Silverbolt figure was orange. This is with just a bit of paint on the shoulders. You can still see some orange on his fingers/hands.
    [​IMG]

There is some paint on this one, but the beast head/fur and balljoints are just dye.
    [​IMG]

I'll see if I can scrounge up some pics of dye jobs that didn't take so well.

3. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    dang I totally missed that bottom part where redline explained it.