Customs: Dying unpaintable plastic?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by underwear-ninja, Oct 31, 2010.

1. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Can the kind of plastic that paint won't adhere to be dyed with the usual RIT dye and boiling water method? I know joints are a common example of this kind of plastic, and I was hoping to just die joint parts black so I won't have to worry about paint rubbing so much.

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    No. Typically whatever it is about the plastic that resists paint, resists dye as well.

Now if you use the acetone cold dye method, but heat it up ( careful, it's flammable ), it can take. In my experience, I had to use extra acetone and do one part at a time because they get soft and can stick together or make "impressions" on each other.

3. underwear-ninja

I've never heard of this method. Any tutorials, or just advice from your own experience, on how to do it?

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wait... is this actually true?

Because in my experience, the plastics that paint does not want to stick to tend to be the softer, more flexible/less brittle ones (like joints), and these surfaces tend to dye FASTER and darker than other areas.

Are we talking about 2 different types of "unpaintable" plastic here?

zmog

5. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have never come across a type of plastic that wont accept my dyeing method.

RIT, Almost boiling water, Acetone, and keep it a constand temp. 15-30 mins dyes almost anything. (At least in my experience)

6. SMOG

15-30 MINUTES???

Wow. I tended to do stuff for 10-20 seconds at a time, with 3-4 immersions. When the dye was fresh, and with a couple of drops of acetone, that was enough to turn a brightly coloured toy pretty much BLACK.

I find it really interesting how people's personal experiences with dyeing really seems to vary a great deal. I suspect a lot of it must depend on the temperature of the water.

zmog

7. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Hey anyone that can dye my extra backwind transparent brown?

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    NM

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  9. SMOG

I find that clear plastic is one of those things that really does not want to take dye, unfortunately. That could be a real tough one.

zmog

10. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Depending on the "unpaintable" plastic, there are in fact kinds of paint that it will accept. These are just not the same HasTak used for the rest of the figure. HasTak doesn't do this themselves because it wouldn't be cost-effective to acquire such paint just for these cases.

SMOG, I think they are talking about the same unpaintable plastic that is to blame for Powerlinx Starscream's dead gray eyes.

11. SMOG

You mean Energon Starscream? I thought he was supposed to be a ghost, hence dead eyes.... though I actually successfully painted mine with a gold paint marker.

So what's the story on Classics Prowl? Was that the wrong paint for the plastic or just bad paint period?

zmog

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I could've sworn I responded to your post... Did I send you a PM? Or did the post disappear?

13. underwear-ninja

Ah sorry about the lack of posting here. I've been busy the past few days! Anyways I looked around Radicons for a tutorial on dying plastic and my results were pretty good for a first try! I dyed the gold-ish parts on Cybertron Cannonball for practice, and they turned black in a matter of 15-20 minutes or so. I'm going to try to dye an junker Armada Thundercracker next, as soon as I can find it.

The Cannonball is actually going to be used for a custom. Hopefully I'll have photos worth showing in the future!

14. underwear-ninja

Powerlinx Starscream, AKA: Armada Thundercracker. Thundercracker has a lot of the supposed unpaintable plastic- this is why I'm going to try him out next.