Customs: Dying plastics. Need some help.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Optimus8404, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Optimus8404

Optimus8404 Autobot Commander.

Ebay:
    Anybody done it here? I was thinking of getting a Tracks and dying it black like the e-hobby version. Can anybody help me as to where and what to get??? Thanks in advance.

2. Baby Bumblebee

Baby Bumblebee Well-Known Member

ebay would be a good bet to start. a mixed lot with a couple of junkers.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Are you asking how to dye Tracks black, or where to locate a tracks? And are you talking about G1 Tracks or alternator Tracks?

4. Optimus8404

Ebay:
    I'm asking about dying a Tracks black. I'm gonna pick up a G1 reissue at TRU since they're down to $6 (as well as a Hoist and making him into Trailbreaker). Also if it's possible to dye him another color (I'm hoping red, but it may not be possible since he's already blue)

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Have you read the stickied thread at the top of this forum yet? If not, it's got lots of information on dying and repainting. Also, check out www.tfmaster.com for more information on kitbashing and repainting goodness.

Man, I sound like a commercial.

Quick answer, though: Dying tracks red is going to be impossible. You can only dye DOWN the color wheel, not up it (i.e., you could add red dye to blue Tracks and make him purple, but you can't take away blue dye and make the plastic white.)

6. notpicard

notpicard Well-Known Member

I've already done this one. I bought some RIT dye powder Black and powder Pearl Gray.

I ran into a few problems that will probably help to know beforehand.

1. The white plastics used are not the same. When dyed all together in the same pot, you won't get colors that look even close. The two plastics end up similar colors in groups like this:

wings
    missiles
    launchers
    head

and

seat/body
    springy arm pins
    upper arms
    upper arm plugs
    back end underside
    feet bottoms

Using Pearl gray, the first group came out kind of blue. The second group dyed a lot faster and came out purplish. You might want to try something other than pearl gray (but not black because that will result in purple). Remember, you have the sprue of the missiles to test on. So however that turns out, the others in the first group should follow.

2. Getting his arms apart in order to dye the blue (black) part of the shoulder is not easy. I ended up using a pair of pliers being careful not to crack any of the plastic. This was the most time consuming part of the whole project. There are actually two pins going in from each side.

I'd even suggest putting masking tape on the chrome of the wheels before you start to at least try to save them from being scratched.

3. The missile launchers are glued shut. The glue will get darker faster than the plastic. I "solved" this problem by using extra silver decal pieces when I applied the stickers near there. It looks ok now but I was really upset when I first pulled them from the dye.

4. I suggest going to Wal*Mart and grabbing a set of Rose Art metallic markers. It is a 5-pack (blue, green, gold, silver, and purple) about $5 and has two sizes of tips on each marker. The gold one worked wonders to paint the face.

Looks like we both hit upon the same idea. :) 

I got mine at TRU a few months ago for $9. With the added cost of dye used, about $15 isn't bad for a toy that now looks a whole lot like the one that would otherwise cost in the hundreds. Mine came out satisfactory, but not perfect. I'm satisfied and imo it looks better in vehicle mode than Robot mode because of the unmatched grays (which should have been silverish anyway).

7. Optimus8404

Ebay:
    Cool! I was just gonna dye the blue parts black and hand paint the silver pieces. Do you have any pics BTW?