Customs: Dyeing Parts painted in Krylon Fusion for Plastic White?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by OmarJT82, Apr 14, 2010.

1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it possible to do this:

Paint a particular part in Krylon Fusion for Plastic White paint and then after it dries completely, dye it into a different color?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd suspect that the white paint would melt off during the dying process. Yes, Krylon Fusion does adhere on a molecular level with plastic, but not to the point of permanence; it's still paint.

3. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    agreed....I am sure it would come off. Even if it did work, all you would accomplish is dyeing the paint, not the actual plastic, so it would be the same as using that particular color paint...

but hey, if you are willing to mess it up, you can't make accurate conclusions with out some scientific experiments:) 

4. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if your wanting to change the white to a darker colour you could use one of the citadel colours washes that are around now they work awsome, just not sure what your trying to achieve with colouring a painted part - just spray it the colour you want in the 1st place?

5. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm trying to make these parts: (jet boosters, cannon/sword, wings) from an ROTF Voyager class Megatron the same gray color as this custom ROTF Leader class Megatron I am currently working on: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...l-omarjt82-s-custom-rotf-leader-megatron.html

The reason I'm doing this is because of all of the hype surrounding the rumored cancellation/delay of the "Unite for the Universe" repaint of ROTF Voyager class Megatron.

If it's cancelled, then I need the aforementioned parts from an ROTF Voyager class Megatron colored in the same type of gray as my custom ROTF Leader class Megatron to complete it. If it's delayed, then I will buy one or 2 of them when it is released and simply transplant the aforementioned parts to my custom ROTF Leader class Megatron to complete it.

I've tried to find a durable acrylic gray paint that would work and even tried regular Krylon Gray spray paint. Neither of those worked! :( 

I hoping that I can spray those parts with Krylon Fusion for Plastic White and then dye them in the same shade of gray as ROTF Leader class Megatron without the risk of the paint either rubbing or chipping off.

6. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well....you would just be better off painting ALL with the same color gray or silver....

And just for the record.....no matter how great we prep, or how strong our paint is....with enough force, it can come off...