Minor/Repaint: Dyeing instead of painting Powered Convoy

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Solscud007, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ok so I have been on a Diaclone craze lately. I picked up a junker Powered Convoy trailer. But I needed a blue cab. I missed a yahoo auction with a real one in a lot. So i decided I need to paint one.

Im also a collector of Surefire Flashlights. In a flashlight forum, someone dyed a polymer yellow light into rescue orange (a color that Surefire does NOT make) it came out really well.

So I decided to test it. Here are the results. I used a loose G1 ultramagnus as the donor for the missing parts.

ramps
    large fists
    gun
    small fists (came from 25th anniversary prime)
    white cab
    chest planre thingy
    trailer hitch
    helmet

as you can see the gun, ramps, fists, and head all came out black. again this is NOT paint. the parts are dyed this color. of course if you cut or sand far enough you will reach white plastic again. but this method does NOT scratch off like paint does.

Same with the blue parts on the cab. That was all once a white ultramagnus cab

I will try dyeing the diecast parts as I noticed that some parts like the head and helmet have paint and the dye does affect the paint a little bit

As you can see the helmet did not take to dyeing very well. The problem with this method is that it only works for making light colors dark.

But the results are pretty good. Look at the chest thingy it used to be that teal blue color. now it looks pretty darn close to the trailer dark blue.

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Everything is looking great! For your dyed parts that didn't get to a full black, you can always redye em. If you don't want to do that, you can at least cover them with a top coat of black paint.

As far as your diecast parts are concerned, I think I'd recommend stripping the undercoats of paint and simply priming and painting them.

By the way, if you've missed my posts in "Cool Stuff" . . . I heart Powered Convoy. :wink: 

3. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    yeah I plan to re-dye them. The ramps and trailer hitch didnt get a full coat of the dye. This was a real quick test to see if it would be possible and it is.

I may use this technique to custom dye a Classics ultra magnus into Powered Convoy. Cause im expecting a FP trailer to come eventually.

thanks

4. kamtimus_prime

kamtimus_prime Radicon Visionary

To quoat my favorite phrase from Robocop. "I'll buy that for a dollar." that really is awesome work.

5. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Hey man that looks pretty good. I have an interest in dyeing Transformers myself, maybe I could watch you work when you redo it, get some ideas.