Dyeing a game controller

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by sarujo, Mar 15, 2017.

1. sarujo

sarujo Cavalier

So here recently, as a PS4 player, I've been wanting a green Dualshock 4 controller. As green is my favorite color. But both Sony and third-party manufacturers don't offer what I'm looking for. With the closest being a clear green affair. While there are customisers out there, they only offer paint or sticker decal options, which I'm put off by. Since I feel such options take away certain details to the plastic as a whole.

That's when I remember this community's discussions on plastic dyeing and thought this might be a better alternative than using paint or sticker decals. So I think my question is can this be done on a Dualshock 4 or any gaming peripheral for that matter? Would acetone be necessary for such a project?

Right now, I currently have my eyes set on using the "Glacier White" variant as a base and going from there. The only thing is that while the top half is indeed white, the bottom half is of a light grey color. So I might consider just doing the top half and getting a black bottom half to reflect the the Magma Red and Aqua Blue variants. Plus, the sections around the button layouts are of a smooth texture, while the rest is a mat texture. And yes, I'm fully aware of the LED lens on the bottom half.

2. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

You're going to be able to get much better answers in the customizing questions section under Radicons than the general chat here.

3. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

Why don't you just save the hassle of dying it yourself and order a custom colored controller instead?

Custom ColorWare Design

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't know anything about the process of dying controllers, but I do know I've seen people selling controllers that are supposedly dyed. I assume you'd need to use a white controller. And in case it's not obvious, you'd need to disassemble the controller and not dye any of the electronic parts. Past that, I dunno. You might be better off buying a pre-dyed one like Fuzz said.

5. sarujo

sarujo Cavalier

Okay then. Can somebody higher up move this topic to the appropriate section, please?

6. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    I'll move it over to Creative GD...(tho I thought it should be 'more' TF related) hopefully that'll get you some more ideas! Good luck. :)