Customs: Dye Questions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ravenxl7, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hey all, I have done a search on this topic, and have read the guide on it, but I still have a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers for. I was reading a thread about dying, and someone said that they used nail polish remover instead of acetone. Dose that actually work instead of acetone? and about how much should I use? Also, is there any peticular type of pot that I should use to heat the water in? I'd rather not ruin one, or have the dye react badley to something about the make of the pot. Thanks for any help. I've recently bought some RIT dye so I can get to work on some kitbashes that I've been meaning to do for some time.

2. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

I've used nail polish remover, which has acetone, and I use a cap full for a small stainless steel sauce pan. (put the acetone in BEFORE you start to boil the water)

One thing I suggest is to have another container of water near by. I dip the part in the dye for a few seconds and then dip it in the room temp water, then repeat a few times. I started doing this after i ruined (warped) a few parts because the dye water was too hot. It may not be the technique of choice for some but I cant argue with my results.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, thanks. Would a pyrex (i think that's what it is, kinda glass-like) pot work? I'll ahve to look, but, I don't think we have any stainless steel pans.

4. Rod

The upside of using a metal pot, is even heat distrobution. I've never used a Pyrex pot, baking pans yes but not a pot. Metal ones can be found cheap anyways

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok. What about a pot that has a teflon coating to it? (I think that's what it's coated with). I'm not sure if the dye would affect the teflon, or vice versa, in a negative way or not.

6. Rod

I'd actually recommend a pot with teflon coating. Just watch the heat and the water level, because the dye/acetone/water mix will boil over fast. and that can be a huge mess.

7. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I always put the nailpolish remover in while it boils and I dip usually for 20-30 secs at a time and I have never had a warped part yet

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, cool. I wasn't sure if the dye would ruin the teflon or something. I don't plan on putting too much water into the pot, as I've dealt with boil overs before and thought I had a huge mess. I can't think of how bad that would look with dye. I'm going to be safe and try not to dye the stove-top black, as taht's the first color I'm going to try out. A nice white stove with a big black spot on the top wouldn't look right, lol. Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm ready to start dyeing. It's a good thing I have a couple of junker TF's lyeing around so I can test it first.

I've heard different results from different situations. It could have been the type of plastic you were dyeing, as I've heard of different plastics putting up with heat better than others.

9. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I've had bumblebee parts warp at 20-30 seconds. I stick to high heat, usually dipped in for 5 seconds, never more than 10. After dunking in the dye, I dip it into cool water for another 5 seconds to give the plastic a chance to cool before dipping again. Make sure to have a nice big strainer to keep the pieces in while dunking - they'll fall off of a spoon rather easily, and it's not so easy to find a piece in colored water. =x

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks for the help guys. I was just getting ready to dye and realized, how much powedered dye do I add to the water? I'm not doing much for this first batch, and I wasn't sure how much powder would be enough.

11. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    No idea. I used the liquid stuff and was feeling rather generous. "The more the merrier." Then again, I've been saving the pot of dye, so it isn't much of an issue. The box should provide instructions for the amount of powder to use with a certain number of gallons of water.

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Yeah, it does. Should i just take that ratio and size it for my use? I'm only using 1-1/2 cups of water, and it says 1 package of powder for 3 gallons of water.

13. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    That'd be the way to go. ^^ Though 1.5 cups doesn't really seem like much water at all. o.o

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Yeah, it is a small amount, but, I only need to dye a couple of pieces black, and I want to try a small batch before I go onto the other colors that I need to do, which will have much more parts to dye, so I've decided to start out with black. I've also decided to go back to my origional plan and start dyeing tommorow, as I don't have anything else to do tommorow, and I won't have to worry about either one of my parent's getting in the way, or asking annoying questions about what I'm doing, lol. It'll also give me more time to take apart the legs of the 2 Ramjets I'm going to be kitbashing, as I've finally found an easy way to take the screws out, as they've been troublesome so far. Most of my dyeing will have to wait a while though, as I need to get some more rubbing alcohol to take the paint apps off of the figures before I dye them.

15. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    A problem with paint apps - the parts you take the paint off of will accept the dye much better than the plastic itself does. I'm not sure if it's remnants of paint accepting the pigment better or if the rest of the plastic has a protective coat of whatever on. I'm pretty sure the acetone helps a bunch though. ^^

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, since Kouri doesn't know, does anybody know about how much powder I should add? Maybe a ratio per cup of water or something? Again, thanks for the help, and for any more help I get.

17. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I always add the full pack and use a medimum pot full of water

18. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I didn't say I didn't know - I just figured you'd leave the calculations up to yourself.

There are 16 cups in a gallon. The directions refer to 3 gallons, so that would be 48 cups. You're using 1.5 cups, so that would be 1.5/48 or 3/96, which simplifies to 1/32.

Now there are 1 1/8 (1.125) ounces of powder in a packet. You'll want to use 1/32 of that amount, which comes out to 9/256 (0.03515625) ounces. I'll let you figure out how you want to measure it. =X

19. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I love reading threads about dye... I wish there was more info on successfully dyeing TF parts.

20. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Hahah, it's all simple stuff really. Overloading the pot with dye helps thing color better. *nod*

And disassembly is VERY important. I was really lazy with the first bits of Trailbreaker (Dropkick) and threw his legs in whole. The constant heating n cooling/shrinking and expanding caused his ankles to crack straight through because the rods wouldn't shrink quickly enough. Luckily, I ended up having to remove the feet anyway for more human limbs, but it's still a bit upsetting to deal with broken bits.