Customs: Dye question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by OldsCut78, Feb 9, 2009.

1. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

Do I have to boil water? Is there any other way? Thanks Olds

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    not really, no. you bring it to a boil, but then let it slightly cool below that temp before you dip the parts in. The heated water softens the plastic up, allowing it to accept the dye.

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't boil. I used very hot tap water, to heat the figure, then just left it in the dye for 3 days.

Try to use as small a container as possible, maybe even a drinking glass, that way you can keep the dye as concentrated. Also used about a cup of acetone in the dye.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    the hotter the water, the more likely you're piece is susceptible to warping (trash)
    I learned trial and error, best way I've found is like DP said, boil the solution so the dye, acetone and water melt together, then put in a bucket, leave the parts in there for 1 day (or more) and you'll be safe.

5. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Awesome that this popped up! I'm getting ready to try my hand at dying a couple things. Thanks for the tips guys!
    -G

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    everyone is repeating what I already said :lol  bring it to a boil, then let it cool down a little before dippin parts.

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    actually, it's a bit different. In our tutorial(and other places as well) it states to keep the water at a hot temp and dye the parts. The method I've been having good results with is solution that was boiled, then cooled to room temp, then parts added, and a loooong dye period: 24+ hours.

Another way is tedious, but quicker results. This would be keeping the dye solution very hot, and dunking each piece a few seconds, pull it out, allowing it to cool, then repeat until desired color is achieved.