Customs: Dye Question?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rodimus Mike, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Hey all,I need help with this. I have never used dye to kitbash one
    of my figs,I always used spray paint (Krylon and such),so which is
    better ti use in your opinion?.While I'm on the topic,where can you
    buy dye at?.Is it at walmart anywhere?. Thanks yall.

2. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I would like to know as well

I am planning on dying my joints for my BT Night Beat and my Alt Alert

3. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    R.I.T dye
    sold at walmart shoprite Acme most clothing and fabric stores.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Check out the <a href=http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=87627>"Exhaustive Kitbashers' Resource"</a> thread at the top of this forum for more on dying.

If that thread doesn't answer your questions, keep on a-askin'!

6. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I snipped this from a post from TFMaster a long time ago and saved it to my computer. I tought me all I needed to know about dying TF.
    First,you got your heat waaayyyyy too hight if it's warping.(I haven't had one warp in a long time) Second,your using a flame/burner stove right?
    Falme emiting stoves tend to heat the pot up too much because there is a steady flame under it no matter how low it is.If you have a electric stovetop then just put it on around the second to the lowest heating setting.

Are you adding Acitone to the batch?If not the plastic tends to take a long time to take the dye then with when your using acitone.If you are ganna use acitone make sure to pour it in the pot befor you heat it and not to get any on the outside of the pot.It is very flamable. If using acitone, use safely in a well vented area.Fumes can harm you and make you sic.

For best results put hot tap water in a pot of fairly decent size,add the dye,add a half cup of acitone, mix well and cover pot and heat on low.The acitone should make it bubble when heated no matter how low you set it.When the batch is bubbling, use a large stirring spoon to lower said part into the batch,hold a couple seconds(Usually all it takes with preheated acitone dye baths) and check on it a couple times till it's the desired depth of color you want.You Cannot dye yellow over blue!!!Color mixes like that do not work!People keep trying this and it never works.Your adding a layer of color over a color so keep in mind art class when you were younger and remember yellow and blue make green and red on blue will make dark purple.You have to think in color shades.

If you did this right it shouldn't have warped and it should have taken faily easy.Also,colors are one thing shades are another.If you have a gray part and want to dye it red you can do so as long as you are fine with a darker shade of red.

Hope that helps.

TFmaster

TFmaster

7. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

Its easy but be careful you can warp your toys! Oh and the best toys to take dye jobs are light colored and White toys. Darker colors always seem to turn Black.