Heavy/Scratch: DX9 WIP X33 (Soundwave) Sonic Wizard's Bat

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by NOCV, Jan 29, 2018.

1. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    My test prints arrived today. I've already cleaned and trimmed them, and now they're soaking in dye. I can't wait to get them painted and assembled.

2. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    I put him together a lot sooner than I should've, but I just couldn't wait any longer to see if the wings went together without issue. Thankfully they assemble and work perfectly.

201802220102260255~01_20180222010408720.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You said you dyed them. How exactly does that work?

4. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    All of my kits are printed in a translucent acrylic material on shapeways.com called Frosted Ultra Detail, that will need painted to match the intended character. Because the joints are so small, you don't want to paint those parts or else the added mass will make them difficult to assemble and move. In order to color the joint components it's easiest to use a dye or marker. I opted for dye, which is just two teaspoons of Rit fabric dye mixed in hot water and a fifteen minute soak.

Frenzy's lower legs and Ratbat's body are unpainted and only dyed black in the above pic, so you can kind of see how the material looks when dyed only.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    1519328198-picsay.jpg
    This has been such a fun little challenge to paint. Putting it together before fully painting the pieces was such a time consuming mistake, as I had to be more careful around joints and neighboring pieces. I also ended up with a lot of cleanup work too, so definitely something to avoid doing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Neat. Can you show me some photos of your dyeing setup? Might give it a shot.

7. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Sure. It's nothing fancy, just some glass mixing bowls and strainers from my Dollar Store.
    201801221348050092.jpg 201801221417250094.jpg 201801221430430096~01.jpg 201801221649410102~01.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
  9. fawnheart2000

fawnheart2000 Autobot

When will this and the birds be ready to purchase off Shapeways? I will be placing an order for all of your little guys and a few other things as soon as these are ready.

10. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Thanks so much for your interest.

The vultures are next on deck. I have completed prints of their revised model here ready for painting. Once they're painted and I've confirmed that the changes I made to the model are adequate, then I'll put together all of the instruction files (paint, assembly, and transformation) before listing them for sale.

It takes about a day's worth of my free time to paint one of them, then another to do photos and prepare all of the instruction files, and then a third to get them all uploaded and arranged right.

With all that in mind, I intend to have them painted this week so that I can have them for sale early next week. So, definitely next week the birds will be available.

I ordered a revised print of Ratbat last night. It needed alterations to make the mouth detail of his closed mouth head more readable, his flight stand attachments fit a little more snugly, and changes to help flip out his feet without ruining the paint on them.

Shapeways has gotten much faster with their print times, so I expect to have the new Ratbat print in hand in the next 10 days. Then it'll be the time consuming matter of paintint, pic-ing and posting before you can buy it.

With all of that in mind, my intention for Ratbat is before the end of the month, but it is possible that he may not be available until early in April because of commitments and responsibilities I have later this month.

Both the birds and the bat come with flight stand adapter accessories that have a 3mm ports in them. They're designed with these stands in mind.

The bases of those stands have multiple ports in them that would allow you to mount all three of them on, but one stand only comes with the two arms you'd want to use to have them at an above-legends bot height. I hope that makes sense.

You can see how I use them here. I combine multiple stands to get enough height for my jets, but if you look above Soundwave you'll see Laserbeak's prototype swooping in above him:
    201802271447470370~01-picsay.jpg

Ordering multiple items from Shapeways in a single order is the best way to do it so that you're only charged for one shipment. I always recommend Ariel's Customs and Mechvoid Arsenal as designers I've bought great Transformers products from.

• Like Like x 2
  11. fawnheart2000

fawnheart2000 Autobot

Yeah, I've ordered lots of things from Fakebusker's store.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  13. fawnheart2000

fawnheart2000 Autobot

Yay! one step closer to getting the band back together, Any word on the Vultures or Stego?:D 

• Like Like x 1
  14. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    I have both Laserbeak and Buzzsaw dyed, just need the hours to do the painting. Then the hours to do the instruction files. Then the hours to do the product photos..
    :lolol 

I haven't touched the dino-designs in a while. I will get back to them soon, but I want to focus on getting the vultures done next.

What would be great for me is a lull in the release of things I'm collecting and then adding pieces and accessories to!

• Like Like x 3