Heavy/Scratch: DX9 WIP X33 (Soundwave) Sonic Wizard's Apprentices

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by NOCV, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Been busy on other stuff. But the print looks great. Planning on getting to the store sometime in the next few days for a pair of snippers for the sprues and some rit dye.

2. Trikeboy

Trikeboy Well-Known Member

I got my set today. They look amazing but oh so small. I'm just getting them prepared for dyeing now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Terrific! Dying is super-easy, just make sure it doesn't get anywhere in your home that you don't want.

I'm sure I've said it enough, but please make sure you refer to the painting and assembly instructions on the kit's shapeways page for best results. The painting instructions highlight all of the joint surfaces that should be left unpainted, and the assembly instructions cover how to put it together without breaking it.

Have fun and let me know if you run into any snags.

Ps: I noticed in your pics of the trimmed pieces that there are still bits of the sprue connections on some parts like the insides of his legs and arms. You'll have a hard time transforming this if those aren't removed.

Some gentle swipes with a file, emory board, or high grit sandpaper will get rid of those nicely. Or, if you're handy with an x-acto, you can do like I do and run a fresh, sharp blade parallel to the surface of the part to cleanly trim away the sprue connections.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. UltraMagnusLRLL

UltraMagnusLRLL Well-Known Member

Late to the game, but FINALLY about to purchase. I didn't see the Vulture or Bat..?

5. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Still perfecting those. Kind of got low on funds and there wasn't a huge interest expressed. I will be completing them soon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. UltraMagnusLRLL

I got my FIR/RIB on the way! Looking forward to working on them and finally getting them into my collection!

• Like Like x 3
  7. kingjakethe11th

kingjakethe11th Scourgeintor

i wish i could buy these guys finished because that's a lot of hassle

• Like Like x 1
  8. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Well, my time's pretty valuable, so be happy I supplied all the information needed to make your own. I'd probably ask $75 a finished set on par with my own personal set, and even then I wouldn't really want to take up my time with it.

• Like Like x 4
  9. kingjakethe11th

kingjakethe11th Scourgeintor

i think i will gust end up making them because 75$ for 2 figures the size o a penny is ridicules but thanks for the offer sir :3

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Right there with you. I can barely muster up the gumption to do projects like this for myself (still haven't gotten around to painting mine). I've had people offer to pay me to do 3d printed figures for them and paint them up. My response is, "there's no amount of money that would be worth my time to do this and that you'd be willing to pay." And even if there were, I'm happy with my income and don't need the extra from painting stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  11. UltraMagnusLRLL

I GREATLY appreciate the effort you put into creating these, and that you released your designs so that we can all benefit from them. It may take me a while to get around to actually painting them, but I know that when I do I'll be glad to have them available. MANY THANKS for this awesome contribution to the fandom(and, my collection)!

• Like Like x 3
  12. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    It's awesome seeing how many of these that have been bought, but there have been a couple people who've ordered two Smalls vs a single Extra Small.

I just want to reiterate that if you're looking to get two of these (a Frenzy and a Rumble) then it is most economical to order the EXTRA SMALL version, as it is two whole kits on a single sprue, and is $5 less than getting two separate single kits, which are the SMALL version.

• Like Like x 2
  13. zeroblue2099

zeroblue2099 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder! I wouldn't have figured it out without reading this thread.
    I finally put in my order; once I get unpacked from moving I can start working on them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
  15. fawnheart2000

fawnheart2000 Autobot

Cool!

16. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Nice. But I kinda thought the original was already a good size for legends+. Also this is the resin dust plastic, right? What they used to call swf? That stuff is so hard to get looking good - that sandy texture is almost impossible to get rid of.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    The legends scale ones are only about 3.5 cm tall and could probably stand to be a bit bigger to work at that scale, but that's the size they need to be to go with the figure I designed them for.

The plastic that the legends plus ones are made of are different than the legends scale ones, and is a nylon base fused by selective laser sintering. My models are uploaded at a high resolution so that surfaces are as smooth as they can be, but you are right, the printing process does leave a textured surface. It's not the most ideal, but I've found it is a better surface than no surface.

• Like Like x 1
  18. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  19. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Yes, I'll be doing all of Blaster's minicons to accompany MS toys Blaster. He uses the same size cassettes as DX9's Soundwave.

• Like Like x 4
  20. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Sounds great! I prefer the HS Size for them but they all LOOK perfectly fine together regardless of if they fit the chests or not. You're awesome!

• Like Like x 1