Heavy/Scratch: DX9 WIP X33 (Soundwave) Sonic Wizard's Apprentices

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by NOCV, Dec 2, 2017.

1. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    MFW my test print got delivered two days early and I won't be home until tomorrow..

Rumble.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Untitled.jpg
    You see, Soundwave? It is exactly as I told you: There is nothing that Decepticon engineering cannot achieve.
    I've been geeking out over this thing for the past day. My wife probably thinks I'm such a dork, but I couldn't be happier with how the print turned out.

DSC_0020~01.jpg DSC_0024~01.jpg

All of the details came through great. Even the smallest elements, like the tape cogs on his back, are very sharp.

I hope to trim, sand and assemble it today. I'm anxious to see how well it goes together and works.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

What material is that? Fud? Fed? How much did it cost to get it printed?

4. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Frosted Ultra Detail. It was $19 + shipping, but I'm pretty sure it was so expensive because of the thick trim I did around the sprue tree. I've never done pieces on a sprue tree before and didn't know how sturdy it would be. I totally overdid it. I'll have to update the model and see how it effects the price. @fakebusker83 has some small transformers in their shop at much lower cost, so I'm sure I can get that down somehow.

201801081343240027~02.jpg 201801081343060026~01.jpg

The FUD is a hard and slightly brittle material, but I'm happy to say everything assembled just fine. His head was the hardest to snap in, but all other joints went together smoothly. The blasters plug into the back perfectly, but it's a real tight fit in his hands when it comes to holding any of his weapons.

201801081346340028~01.jpg 201801081348430029~01.jpg 201801081349530030~01.jpg

201801081355350031~01.jpg

I think all I need to do is reduce the thickness of the sprue tree, make the ball of his neck the slightest bit thinner, his hand holes a teeny bit wider, and he'll be good to go. Then it's onto Laserbeak and Ratbat.

201801081402080032~01.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  5. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Damn that looks cool. I love that the transformation joint gives him an ab crunch. That'll be helpful when posing him with the piledrivers (as seen in your photos).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Congrats that came out unbelievable well. I didn't think it would work...

Well done.

• Like Like x 2
  7. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Just a quick update:
    When getting info off of Shapeways for other materials, I noticed an additional order for this guy would only be $11 vs the $19 and change I paid. I guess I paid the first print premium?

Anyways, the good news is that the $11 figure should only come down further as I update the sprue design. My initial design is pretty heavy duty, featuring a 4mm * 4mm hexagonal pipe frame. After examining the material and the strength of the pieces on the test print, I now know that I only need a 2.5mm cylindrical pipe frame. That will greatly reduce the materials being used, and so should bring the price further down from $11.

I made the planned revisions to his neck ball and hand holes last night, and hope to continue working on alterations today. If all goes well I should be able to order an updated print in the next week, and hopefully will have this guy publicly available before the end of the month.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Very nice! I'd be willing to pay $11 a piece for two of these. How much was shipping when you ordered your test print? Would ordering two at once allow for combined shipping? I've never dealt with the FUD material before: how much sanding do you suppose it would need to make for a smooth ready-to-paint figure? Did you happen to check how much more it'd cost to print in FED? Also, is $11 the price before your markup or does include your cut? (I've ordered a test print of one of my designs once but have never sold anything on Shapeways).

9. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    That's awesome, I'm glad to hear you're interested in getting some.

Shipping was $4.99 for standard USPS Priority Mail. Ordering more than one item at a time is ideal, as it does combine shipping costs since shipping is more per order and not per item.

FUD is rigid, translucent plastic. It is brittle, and small pieces that are less than 2 mm thick will break easily. I actually broke one of the balls off of his hip, and one of the receiving ports in his knees when I was disassembling him for painting, after taking the above pictures. Sad trombone, but I wanted to make sure it assembled, transformed and fit in Soundwave before painting. His knees probably have the thinnest parts on the entire figure, so I'm looking at making those stronger, as well as thickening all ball joint ball bases before offering the model publicly. It goes without saying that this is a small guy with some small, all-plastic parts, so some delicacy is unavoidable.

Different materials have different design constraints, and unfortunately this model doesn't work with several of them. The colored plastics, and HD Acrylics need structures to be bigger than some of the joint parts, so I have to do some extensive work on the model to offer it in those other materials. However, FUD did such an astounding job at capturing the detail of the model that I wouldn't even worry about the Frosted Extreme Detail if you're considering the two materials. Right now I think I am focusing on getting it done and available in the FUD (and I believe the polished metallic plastic will work too) before I rework the model to improve the joints so that it works with more materials. I may change my mind there, I don't know. I've been on this for a bit as a pet project and am getting a little burned out on it, so we'll see.

Oh, and the only sanding I did was to get rid of any sprue marks from where I trimmed the pieces from the tree. I didn't intend on doing any sanding before painting, but was going to give all pieces a good bath in diluted alcohol before dying them with fabric dye (You're not going to want to paint the joint parts) and then painting.

I think $11 was the price after markup. I only round up to the next dollar on my mark-ups, so if it's like $14.35 for me then I mark it up to $15 publicly. My cut then goes into my seller's account and I think I can get that as real money after a certain amount, or what I usually do, use it as credit towards my own orders.

• Like Like x 4
  10. UltraMagnusLRLL

UltraMagnusLRLL Well-Known Member

Well you have another customer right here; I am REALLY digging these guys and I also appreciate the information regarding the materials and working with Shapeways...

I eagerly await the release of these guys!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  11. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Good stuff! Yeah, I expect them to be pretty delicate. It's just an unfortunate reality of 3d printing. The durable materials are also the ones that are the worst for detail. SWF is some good strong stuff but it looks like garbage and you can sand it forever without it getting any smoother. FUD, FED, and BHDA are amazing looking: just make sure you don't drop stress them at all or drop them on a hard floor.

Does FUD take fabric dye well? That would be pretty amazing as I'm also a little concerned about how to paint without covering the joints (and making them too tight and having the paint strip right off by any movement at all) or leaving the joints uncovered and clear.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    It should. I've never done it before this project, but all of the research I've done suggests that porous, light color plastic takes dye very well. FUD is definitely that.

I'll post pics and instructions for assembly, dying and painting as I go along.
    Thanks so much for the kind words. I really appreciate the support and interest.

• Like Like x 2
  13. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    revised sprue.jpg
    The updated sprue layout is done. Changes:
    • Narrowed the ball at the base of the neck for easier fit
    • Widened hand holes to allow for easier accessory holding
    • Tapered accessory handle tips for easier insertion into holes
    • Removed leg height that was mistakenly added when including the angled foot bottom
    • Fixed missing nose from the angry face
    • Oriented all pieces to have open end of ball ports facing up for better printing
    • Redesigned sprue to use less material, include more area for additional parts, and fit within maximum print dimensions of Frosted Ultra Detail, HD Acrylics and colored plastics
    I'm not exactly sure what'll happen with the final price, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a lot cheaper. The first version was $19.54 to print the first time, then $10.82 for additional prints. With the revised model the initial price was $16.69, and I expect that will come down after the revised model's been processed and passed for printing by Shapeways like the first version did. So, if I'm right, this one should end up cheaper than the first version's $11 - even while including two extra blasters.

I ordered two prints. The first one took 10 days from order to delivery, so if all goes well I should have these on the 22nd.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

That looks great! I'm eager to see your results.

15. UltraMagnusLRLL

UltraMagnusLRLL Well-Known Member

Dude, you're an OG. I tip my cap to thee for the FIR/RIB tags on the sprue!:buttrock :rock 

• Like Like x 1
  16. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    201801221430430096~01.jpg 201801221435550097~01.jpg
    Parts dying in progress. This has been a super-easy process with fantastic results, so far.

• Like Like x 6
  17. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    201801221649410102~01.jpg
    All dyed and drying.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Very cool. I'm not sure I like the dyed clear plastic look. I think, if I order a set, I'll probably dye it like you did and then mask off the joints and paint it. That way the joints still benefit from the dye to make them colored and less clear but without the added thickness and the rubbing from paint, but the rest of the figure will be painted.

Anyway, I can't wait to see these finished. These are from your revised file? Or is one of them the old one and one the new one?

[edit] Did you give Rumble two happy faces and Frenzy two angry faces?

• Like Like x 2
  19. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Yeah, I only dyed these so that I wouldn't be painting the joints. Because the material is translucent, the dye will never be opaque, so it's not good to use alone with this material.

These prints are from my revised model, and everything turned out great. I think the only complaint I could find in this set is that the shin panel detail is very faint, so I want to look at the model one more time to see if I can bring the edges of the shin panels out a little more. I also want to compact things just a little more on the sprue, in hopes to bring the cost down as much as I can.

I don't think that I dyed them with swapped heads, but it's possible. I tried to keep all the pieces straight, but I snipped, sanded and washed both sets at the same time, and I know that they ended up with swapped thighs at the very least. Thankfully the thighs are a mirrored design, so the worst of it is any sprue marks that show through will be inner thigh on one leg and outer on the other (when it's intended to be either inner on both, or outer). Not a huge deal, and I sanded them well enough that I'm not even worried about It.

I hope to get these guys painted tonight so that I can assemble them tomorrow. I can't wait to get them all together.

• Like Like x 2
  20. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    I definitely underestimated how long it'd take to paint all of these.
    201801231338080104~01.jpg

• Like Like x 5