Heavy/Scratch: DX9 WIP X33 (Soundwave) Sonic Wizard's Apprentices

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by NOCV, Dec 2, 2017.

1. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Update 6/27/18: Development completed and available for purchase if you want both Frenzy and Rumble then order the EXTRA SMALL. It will save you $5 vs ordering two single (SMALL) kits. Also available in Legends Plus size.

DX9's Sonic Wizard fits perfectly in my G1 Legends collection, but I didn't feel he would be complete without Frenzy and Rumble. Since DX9 hasn't given any indication that those two little scrappers would be available in the future, I figured I'd have to take a stab at them if I really wanted them.

SW1.jpg SW2.jpg
    Despite its simplicity, I was really impressed with the Ravage that DX9 packed in with this Soundwave. It has a double-cassette mode that allows for more parts and joints than their Ratbat and Laserbeak, and still fits inside the deck. I used that double-cassette form as the basis for my design.

c.jpg c2.jpg c3.jpg c4.jpg c5.jpg c6.jpg c7.jpg c8.jpg
    It's not the cleanest alt mode, but I really was only concerned with it still fitting inside of Soundwave.

FS1.jpg FS2.jpg FS3.jpg FS4.jpg FS5.jpg FS6.jpg FS7.jpg FS8.jpg
    In "storage" mode the ground pounder weapons peg into the back, the very, very small blasters peg into the hands, and everything lines up nice and evenly so that it should stand in any orientation.

R1.jpg R2.jpg R3.jpg R4.jpg R5.jpg R6.jpg R7.jpg R8.jpg
    Showing off the blasters with Rumble. The ground pounders can peg onto the back, but when I captured these images I hadn't designed them yet. Looking at Frenzy in "storage" mode makes me think they can stand in as a jet pack, or something.

FP1.jpg FP2.jpg FP3.jpg FP4.jpg FP5.jpg FP6.jpg FP7.jpg FP8.jpg
    Frenzy's too heavy duty to do geeky assignments with the articulated ground pounders. I didn't think I'd be able to pull these off because these little guys can't stick their arms straight out to the sides due to the construction of their shoulders. Some swiveling and rotating got the arms in the right position, but unfortunately necessitate rotating the blasters on the back for clearance.

FIRRIB.jpg

In robot mode they stand at ~35mm, and have a small recessed area (the purple) in their waist joints that is sized to fit the "Symbols for Micro TF" stickers from ToyHax.com. In an unintended bit of awesomeness, they end up being pretty close to scale:

scale.jpg

With the figure and accessory designs finished, I hope to design the sprue tomorrow and order a test print before Monday. It'll be publicly available for purchase in my Shapeways shop once I know it prints, assembles and works as intended.

I'm excited to get this printed and in hand. I've made plenty of parts and accessories before but this is my first full figure. Hopefully I got the joints right the first time..

PS: DX9, I could really use a job.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 27
  2. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

These look awesome. Really nice job.

3. badasp

badasp Well-Known Member

That looks cool! I hope it works out. I thought about getting the DX9 figure, but I gotta wait until I get some extra cash... It's Christmas season and the family has to come first... Dangit!!

4. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

...what, you think you can call the blue guy rumble just because you designed him?!.

...seriously, though, this is extremely impressive work: you nailed the characters’ proportions, poise, and attitude at a scale seldom matched, with formidable articulation to boot!..

...i’ve never really gotten into the shapeways scene due to its limited fidelity and printing artifacts, but i’d buy that figure from a molded sprue in a heartbeat...tall order, i know, since the cost of entry to bulk manufacturing is so high by comparison to the niche volumes involved...

...i suspect you’ll find that getting the tolerances right is a lot trickier than most folks presume; if it were an easy process fewer manufacturers would struggle with it in finished figures...regardless, this kind of design work sells itself, so i hope you catch the right eyes at an deeper-pocketed boutique operation...

...kudos!..

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. pilotmaster70

pilotmaster70 Space Nerd

U wot m8. He's right!

• Like Like x 2
  6. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

At this size who cares about the alt mode! It's hard to believe you made something so awesome that coukd still move and transform at this size! That's like wizard level stuff here....
    If only these would work for the Hot Soldiers Soundwave

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz Well-Known Member

Love these! I'm down for sure!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

RIBFIR ;) 

• Like Like x 4
  9. wwoptimusprime

wwoptimusprime Till all are one

These these look great! Can't wait to see the prints!

• Like Like x 1
  10. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    He'd be tough to adapt this for since his chest cavity is more shallow than DX9's.
    You may want to give the service another look. I'll agree that when I first started buying prints from them that the quality and materials left some to be desired, but the technology and materials have improved in the past two years. Not all designers produce the same quality of work, though, but there's some really impressive ones making great things for Transformers. Shops like A1 Kitbashing, Ariel's Customs and Mechvoid Arsenal are ones I'd recommend.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback on this project, everyone. I had a busy weekend but managed to squeeze in enough time to design the sprues and hollow parts out to reduce cost as much as possible. I lucked out and had enough space on one of the sprues to include an alternate angry head and a duplicate of the waist hinge (in case one of the pegs break while assembling). An extra set of blasters would've been ideal, but they just didn't fit:

SA.jpg SB.jpg sC.jpg SD.jpg SE.jpg S4.jpg

Pending the discovery of any errors once I upload it to Shapeways, I should be able to order a print today.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    Looking forward to it. Will you post a link?

12. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Definitely. Once I've got one in hand and know that it's not going to be a waste of money for someone.

• Like Like x 3
  13. XBow Nation

XBow Nation I'm too poor for my robot addiction

Screenshot_2017-12-06-09-32-39.png

• Like Like x 4
  14. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Nice! These look amazing! It's a shame they wouldn't fit in THS Soundwave but I doubt I'd ever stow them anyway: they look too good in bot mode.

Hey, you were the guy talking about KO'ing the THS Ravage that comes with Bumblebee, right? What else have you got on your store? I don't see any links to it in your signature or anything.

15. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Thanks so much for the kind words.

I stopped working on my THS Ravage KO for a couple reasons.

One, I had already done a lot of work on my design based on early photos of the THS version, and then more came out the showed perspectives that I had wrongly filled in the blanks in my design. Two, I prefer DX9's Ravage with my legends, so I only wanted to make it because it looked like it was going to be some goofy exclusive that was going to be hard for fans to get. Then it came out that it's a pack-in with THS' Bumblebee, so everyone will get one who buys that. Three, I got into doing this guy, which I'd been mulling over for a month or two.

This is my shop. There's not much there because until this I've been spending a lot of time on a custom TFP Lockdown that I've modelled a lot of parts for. I've got a long list of projects planned ahead. Of interest would probably be more articulated Laserbeak and Ratbats based off of this double-cassette form.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    I got held up with other things around the holidays, but I finally ordered a print.

fr.jpg

Unfortunately there are wall thickness issues that prevent it from being printed in the favored black HD Acrylic, but I was able to get it printed in Frosted Ultra Detail. FUD was $19.50 +shipping, and black HDA would be $34 if it were printable.

• Like Like x 2
  17. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Hurray!
    My test print ships out tomorrow. Waiting for a freshly printed project to arrive in the mail is probably some of the worst anticipation.

Booo!
    I started work on my Laserbeak double-cassette design and found that the angry Frenzy/Rumble head got its nose chopped off when I was putting the sprue together.

Hurray!
    I only ordered one for Frenzy, in case it needed modifications for Rumble.

Such a rollercoaster.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

When I ordered a test print of my Arcee head, I was terribly impatient. I ended up terribly disappointed with the wsf plastic from Shapeways: you can't sand that stuff smooth no matter how much you try.

19. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    It's a pricey world of trial and error, isn't it?

20. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Yup yup. I was so happy when I got my own 3d printer and could prototype myself. It's fdm, though, so it's not really useful for final prints. I've tuned it as much as as I can (well, there's a little more I could do) and it's much better than it was out of box. I printed my Arcee head on it and it was... almost usable. I managed to minimize layer lines and jitter but they're still there and the face detail was mostly adequate but just not as good as I'd like it. Also, anything that isn't flat on the bottom is going to end up mangled: I just can't get it to where the supports come off and leave a nice clean surface no matter how hard I try.

Got a friend who has a UV resin printer, though, and that thing is fantastic. Only problems are the resin is more expensive and the cured resin is much more brittle so it's not really good for anything structural. I have given some thought to designing things in parts where the main body is printed in fdm with cutouts to insert detailed pieces printed in resin. Someday I may take a stab at it. Especially if I convince my wife that a resin printer is a thing we need :p 

• Like Like x 1