DX9 War in Pocket Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

You're probably right. But if u put it into perspective, had it been a full sized figure, voyager, MP or bigger, you cannot forgive a neck swivel like that since the spacing is much more accommodating.
    But at the size they are now, you can forgive them for not including it.

2. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    There's no doubt in my mind that these are very ingenious figures at this scale. However needing a tool to transform it (if this is indeed how it ends up- let's hope that video just shows a stiff copy), would be a MAJOR design failing in my opinion.

3. Chosen Prime

Chosen Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Many of these legends scale figures require some sort of pry tool to easily transform some parts, usually removing a head from alt mode or hands. This one is very stiff, but I would imagine it stays that way for design reasons.

4. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

How does Grimlock compare in height to the Optimus out of the Leaders set from Generation Toy?

5. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    In order for the figure not to fall apart it has to be put together so tight you need accessories to open it? That risk damaging your expensive third party figure? I'm sorry but I can't accept that argument personally. These might be adult collectibles but their purpose is to be fun and to transform. Taking out either of these elements is a massive failure in the product.

6. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I watched the benscollectables video last night after it was mentioned and just watched again to confirm, he only used a screw driver to lift something on the head transformation of grimlock. Potentially he didnt really need a screw driver at all, it isnt shown. It is not a major difficulty imo if it just that... On the whole the transformation looked complex but smooth enough.

7. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I agree, that's not too bad. The last video I saw a tool was used for a good four or five steps. Hopefully it's not that bad.

8. Cha Chi

News Credits:
    People had mentioned difficulties they had with quaker, might be due to the fact they already mentioned it but yeah there are tight clearences but i didnt have an issue. Touch wood non of the difficulties with skyer either.

Biggest issue i have had with dx9 wip toys is the Mightron, impressive transformation but i did fear i would break it and also wreck the head. Non of that level of trouble with the dinos.

An issue with Thorner and Quaker is there tight upper arm rotation due to two parts being painted, that might have subsided with only one part being painted on these two.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Keep in mind that these aren't the final production versions; the tightness may be fixed on mass release.

Or not. My DX9 Kup has a foot that's too tight and needs a screwdriver to pry it out if I tuck it in too far. Hopefully it won't be a huge issue here. Also hopefully, it would be nice if DX9 accounts for the paint and how it will affect clearance this time.

10. Chosen Prime

Chosen Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Using a plastic tool will keep you from damaging anything, I never recommend using anything metal.

[​IMG]

This computer repair kit has a few plastic pry tools in it as well as some other very helpful items for working with figures. It is available on Amazon for $27.99 with prime shipping, just click the photo to check it out.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Cha Chi

News Credits:
    I was in conversation with someone in twofold thread about that issue. Mine is the same. I pinch him tight on both sides of pelvis balljoints so they don't bend as i heave ho the foot out... I dunno it works and thought it better than prising out with a tool.

I suppose the final product of these could vary but suspect this is exactly how the final things will be. Whichever legends toy dx9 have done they are always overly tight where they have two painted parts forming a joint. Thorner, Mightron and Quaker's arms, Mixmaster's thighs. I think their solution for now is not to have 2 painted parts it seems but yeah i do hope they find a way to factor the paint in. Whilst i haven't had it destroy figure it does detract from the enjoyment.

Not sure how excatly the review samples go, but i wonder if sometimes as i know can be practise the samples get sent around different reviewers so i suspect tolerences are loosened through that process and the fact it is sample. Not that i watch an awful lot but dont hear or expect a lot from reviewers on tolerences. Expect the production product to be tighter out the box.

13. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not sure if American football lineman practice or open latrine power dump position, but these guys can definitely hunker down. :D 

[​IMG]

The pin joints in the hips of Thorner were a bit loose on this pre-prod sample but I still got him to hold a high kick

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Is this the released figure you have??

15. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Apologies, was still adding another photo to that post -- they are pre-prod samples.

16. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Lol, no need to apologise, just keen to get him in hand to see what he's like :) 

17. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    lol they need to check out the Squatty Potty before they blow out an o-ring

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not used to seeing Gridlock without his glorious gold chest chrome, but I like the bright yellow. I like how the dino head goes into his chest. This one is cool. All these little guys are cool. This will be a fun set once it's complete! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  19. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    So his feet are permanently backwards in Dino mode? Only one toe pointing forwards... Super Awkward.

Unless there is not knee bend meant in Dino mode, which is how the protos from the OP are shown.

20. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Swivel. You can point whatever toe you want in either direction.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1