DX9 Stunticons

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by oku, Jul 10, 2017.

1. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Deceptive Clone

[​IMG]
    This is so satisfying. Once again, XTB released something I thought was cool- and then someone else follows it up with visible improvements. At a glance Dx9 made so many better choices in this design.

I love how the back cleans up, and how the wheels are recessed with smaller gaps. The detailing and shape of the crotch area are significantly better than XTB, and I love the pop of red on the forearms. Sure they're not present in the G1 line-art, but the animation model should only be a guide line. Even the scale is perfect! If the rest of the set come in at this level, it could be one of the best 3P combiners ever.

To be honest, I didn't even care to own a Menasor, I could have easily gone without one- now this could be my first Dx9 purchase. A + effort! First Gabriel and now this! If the price comes in at $50-$60 per piece TW's Constructor will lose all of its priority.

Dx9 you are very rapidly making a fan out of me! Seeeend moooooooar....

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  2. OstOgBajer

OstOgBajer Well-Known Member

If the rest of the bots look this good, I may be in on this just for the alt and bot modes, even if I don't like the combined mode. I really hope they don't go super Sunbow, and make some changes so Menosar actually looks good, rather than just accurate. Kinda how Zeta Toys made their Bruticus combined mode look G1 and good.

• Like Like x 3
  3. nomolos

nomolos Well-Known Member

Re: the cartoon argument...the toys existed before the cartoon and the toon was based on the toys. In all the other TF lines the toys have been based on the media.

That also goes for star wars. That crappy Luke is based on the movies, they didn't try to find an actor who looked like the crappy toy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Well-Known Member

Your question is pondering a false premise. You're asking why TF fans try to "sweep he little quirks and inconsistencies under the rug". The TF fan base isn't doing that. There are subsets of the fan base that do but as a group of tens of thousands of people, that statement is false. The fanbase is inherently split in large part due to how important the toys AND the show where. Whereas for the other franchises, the show/movie itself was the big deal and toys where supplemental. it makes getting THE ultimate version simpler.

You're follow up point to help support your original point is also faulty. Yes, some people want every little quirk in Vader's helmet represented in their Hot Toy. But again, not all do. I personally don't care whether my HT Vader has an ESB breathing box but a New Hope helmet. Whatever looks awesome. Not only that but there ARE fans of those franchises that prefer one version of another. So again, your premise is entirely false.

Now, if you what you are getting at is that you don't understand why G1 toon purists don't always want the MP toys to be 100% faithful to the cartoon, the answer is simple. Because it can't be all the time. It was a cartoon that didn't obey the laws of physics or maintain any consistency. Makes it much harder to recreate IRL. Also, personal preference. :eek: 

• Like Like x 2
  5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Looks nice. If they can hit somewhere near, if not below, $60 that'd be great. I grow a bit weary of high priced 3rd party stuff that inevitably winds up clearanced.

6. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Punched a squirrel.

News Credits:
    I need to see the cars compared to mp-cars.
    I'm not going to be sold on these if my Lamborghinis are two different sizes.
    Didn't gentle giant make them, this guy got one:
    maxresdefault (1).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The fact that that exists makes me irrationally happy...ok...fine...the toys can be source material, but when they just pull details and proportions from nowhere that's where I draw the line :p 

8. Wheeljoker

Wheeljoker Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sold on the size of Breakdown..that being said,I think both modes look great. I'm eagerly awaiting more information on the rest of the team.

9. 18inchcombiner

18inchcombiner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the size of Breakdown. Just like in the cartoon. Who ever is the tallest wins in my book and wallet.

10. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC Schmuck

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Apparently these guys despite being seeker sized in bot mode are still able to compact down to mp lambor sized cars like holy shit. I cannot wait to see how they engineered that.

• Like Like x 5
  11. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    I thought Breakdown looks like an "upside down" Sideswipe, transformation-wise.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC Schmuck

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yeah pretty much but if it's true I want to know what got specifically hinged in what way to make that work. It just seems so hard to believe given a lot of the bot mass seems to vanish so the torso n limbs must do quite a bit more than simply be covered by the unfolded car parts.

13. GrimSwipe

GrimSwipe Shock Trooper

Kind of an interesting aspect, that I hadn't given much thought to before. In general, I like to imagine the limb-bots of the scramble city guys to be about this size, with the torso bots being a smidgen taller. Maybe it's completely arbitrary, but that is what seems to be accurate to me from my cartoon memories.

OTOH, with the episode "Masquerade" in mind, and the general uniformity that would seem appropriate with the MP car bots for any MP Stunticons, it seems like these guys ought to be the same height as the car bots.

Odd, as there doesn't seem to be a good answer here. What seems intuitively right (having them the same height as the car bots, as XTB is doing), makes them too small in comparison to the other scramble city bots (in my arbitrary scale accuracy).

• Like Like x 1
  14. unexistance

unexistance MP Gen-0 Collecting Officer

come-on DX9, show us the transformation magic, MP-11 bot-mode height with MP-12 alt-mode size :D 

15. nomolos

nomolos Well-Known Member

Dx9 has the highest probability of making motormaster right. The folding box trick they engineered for mightron was pretty genius. I suspect they worked some of that magic to make these guys get so big.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm really glad DX9 stepped up to the plate and gave us another option for G1 MP Stunticons besides XTB's version. Now we're no longer at XTB's mercy when it comes to hoping for good qc on MP Stunticons.

• Like Like x 1
  17. boomerdave

boomerdave Well-Known Member

While XT's price of $39.99 is really hard to pass up, the skeptical side of me is asking "Are ALL the other cars going to be $39.99 or just the first one because someone ripped off their design in a KO and it's a way of sorta sticking it back to them with the first being this cheap?" I wonder how much these guys are going to be?

• Like Like x 1
  18. motorthing

motorthing Polarised.

News Credits:
    This looks better, and I'll take DX9 for quality all day and all night ahead of anything XTB is going to put out.

But........£27 for an "MP" is hard to argue with and the fact that this may be way oversized in Alt compared to the Hastak Cars is a real drawback for me.

I'll see how the price for this shakes out before I make any more Stunticon-related plans.

19. Glyder

Glyder Well-Known Member

Looks like Breakdowns left calf only has a rim and no tire compared to the right.

Rubber tires confirmed?

20. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

ibot has gone on the record to say that all the small dudes will be 40 and they won't pull a dick price in respect of MM, IIRC.
    Of course you're free to be sceptical ... just saying that it'll be a hard wiggle out for XTB if they screw the pricing and definitely something that would severely dent credibility.

But who knows; yous puts your moneh and yous takes your chances.