DX9 Stunticons

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by oku, Jul 10, 2017.

1. El Duque

El Duque Well-Known Member

So glad DX9 is getting away from chugsterpiece designs. Really excited for these guys, their Omega, and their Powerglide.

• Like Like x 3
  2. HnH

HnH Masterpiece dumbass

News Credits:
    Need real pics....grrrrrrrrrrrrr

3. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Well-Known Member

So he should go post in that thread about it instead of posting about ithere.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

The idea of making high end collectibles entirely off a low budget 70's sci-fi movie is freaking comical to me: Star Wars Luke Skywalker Sixth Scale Figure by Hot Toys

The idea of making high end collectibles entirely off a low budget, lazily written 60's sci-fi drama is freaking comical to me:
    The Who Shop - Doctor Who Merchandise, Dr Who Toys
    Star Trek Collectibles | Action Figures, & Models | Star Trek Shop

So I ask, why is our fandom the only one that does it's best to sweep he little quirks and inconsistencies under the rug? Why is the g1 cartoon the only major sci-fi source material I can think of that people don't want their collectibles to be accurate to?

5. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

You are comparing a LIVE ACTION movie actor, to a poorly drawn cartoon. FAIL.

Does that Hot Toys Luke Skywalker look like it came from a poorly drawn cartoon? No. Thanks for adding evidence to support my position.

• Like Like x 3
  6. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    I like the opening doors and lights, and the height of the bot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Prime135

News Credits:
    I know Star Wars fans that freak out if a Vader figure has the ring vacume tuning on his arm for a particular movie, and doctor who fans that freak out if a certain dales uses the wrong plunger... none of these (original) shows or movies were well made, yet those fans celebrate the inconsistencies. There are entire plots to explain why the exposure in one scen makes a prop look black, and the exposure in another makes it look blue.

And who said anything about actors? I didn't know paramount acually had a starship flying around in the 60's or that the BBC had made contact with aliens, or maybe youre referring to those laser swords that are all the rage these days and appear to be different lengths, widths, and colors depending on the scene...

8. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

The G1 TF "source material" has to include the toys because the toys were an incredibly important part of TF. The cartoon was a TOY COMMERCIAL.

So I don't hear anyone saying they don't want masterpiece Transformers based on the G1 source material. All I hear are people who fail to acknowledge there is more source material than the poorly drawn 30 year old extended toy commercial.

9. Prime135

News Credits:
    Where's my hot toys luke based on this source material:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    I don't see anyone failing to acknowledge that. There is simply a preference to the toon as that was most likely the biggest nostalgia/memor(y)ies as a kid for some. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm sure they had toys too but they were brought to life on the TV and that is/was a powerful thing, no matter how much those that hate it wanna talk down on it.

• Like Like x 3
  11. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

The person who I was responding to failed to acknowledge the existence of more G1 source material than the cartoon and it literally happens all the time in these threads now. That is why I said it. You may want to look more closely.

Again, I love the cartoon.

This is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
  12. rubadubspawn

rubadubspawn Rubadubspawn deals @ rubadubspawn1@gmail.com

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The TFCON images looks pretty cool. So many new bots. Not sure which I really like the best at this point. It's like a crazy flood of options - plus with all the crazy names, gonna be hard to keep track...

13. El Duque

When I was a kid it frustrated me that the toys weren't more representative of the cartoon, looking at you Ironhide! Would anyone want a MP G1 Ironhide toy figure? The answer to that is probably yes, but for most of us it would be a resounding no. I think blending qualities of the toon and toy is okay, but for the most part I want a figure that closely resembles the onscreen appearance.

• Like Like x 2
  14. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

See, the living breathing movie actor and real life props look realistic and are therefore perfectly suitable to be the only source material required for a modern masterpiece.

This original toy of Luke Skywalker, plays the role of low budget cartoon in this comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would argue though, the "Hasui" era of MP satisfied both sides of the MP collector market until we started seeing the official line steering towards the smooth flat surfaces, hiding of altmode parts, lack of detailing and "straight from the toon" proportions.

Since that turn, we've seen a divide of 2 very distinct sectors in the MP market. An amalgamation of source material (Hasui) and then a toon only (post-Hasui) collector market.

Personally, I'm in the same camp as CVprowl here. I have far too many MP's that fit the Hasui look, my preferred look, than the "toon accurate" figures post-Hasui. As a result, the new MP's stick out in my collection, so I've got to look to 3rd party to carry on the same styling Hasui had done. Luckily there are options, however, what makes it difficult is that, despite there being a very toon accurate Menasor currently being made, it seems the fandom needs this version to be just as toon-centric as XTB's leaving the collector of the Hasui MP era forced to either settle or wait it out in hopes that another party jumps in to the mix.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Prime135

News Credits:
    I didn't say it was the only source material. There were Star Trek Star Wars and doctor who Comics and toys just like with transformers. And just like with transformers they reissue the original toys, and release special edition products to homage the comics. But in every case the show or movie is what the big collectibles are based on.

I just can't understand why g1 ironhide is almost universally decried for looking nothing like his onscreen/comic counterpart, but if I say something like "jazz shouldn't have door wings" it'll start a 10 page argument.

Look, I grew up with the Unicron trilogy and bayverse supplemented by g1 on DVD and my brothers old figures. No one wants a masterpiece armada starscream with the chinstrap unpainted because that's how the toy was. No one wants a masterpiece movie bumblebee based on the 07 movie's concept art because that's how the toy was. I just don't understand why g1 is any different. Growing up, I spent long hours trying to figure out a way to fold away jazz's door wings, or move Megatron's barrel up to his back, or hoping beyond hope that Ironhide was simply horribly mistransformed in all the generation one catalogs. That longing for accuracy to the source material, to see my favorite on screen characters represented in real life has never gone away for me.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  17. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

Sure, I am all for blending as I continually state. But when they look like toon Menasor, we are def going to need to call for some toy/real world back up to achieve a true masterpiece.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    'all I hear are ppl'

That's what I'm getting at. Maybe reign in the hyperbole next time ;) 

@RustyBarnacles I don't see this huge divide between the designers. Sideswipe looks just as good next to Inferno and Tracks as Prowl looks with Downbeat and Megatron. The day I start nitpicking over designer styles is the day I walk away, for me it's golden times as we nearly have a full cast upto the movie. There is no negative there imo.

One day it'll all be over and ppl will realise just how good we had it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. El Duque

I agree. The whole cars as calves thing is kinda weird and I do prefer how the toy handles the legs. In the case of the Stunticons I want the individuals to be as screen accurate as possible, but I can definitely bend quite a bit when it comes to Menasor mode.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Autobot Spike

Autobot Spike Original Gangstabot

I think I'll start speculating on whether I make a purchase once I hear price-points.

When can we expect a pre-order announcement, do you think?

-A.S.