DX9 Richthofen (Masterpiece Powerglide)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scourgatron, Jul 15, 2017.

1. boomerdave

boomerdave Well-Known Member

He's still really sharp, I just think, as you do, that the dark rich red would look better. Someone else said they hate it when photographers use filters to make them look different. It doesn't bother me excessively but if I was gunning for that red, I'd be disappointed because of those "modified" photos.

2. oku

oku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm thinking of selling/trading mine. 65 shipped in U.S if anyone's interested

3. Ramjet555

Ramjet555 Well-Known Member

Shot you a PM!

4. Madgame

Madgame Well-Known Member

Having the figure for a bit now I still like him and feel is an excellent representation of the character, but the color being off is annoyingly noticeable. Comparing the color of my figure to the official pics from DX9, they are nothing alike. Like not even close. I honestly feel the official pics are misleading compared to the final product received. Can't really see it being a lighting issue either.

5. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Instagram:
    Cool transformers toy...horrible stand! Still I took a chance to get this pic

IMG_5375.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  6. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Then its another hanzo situation.

7. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I dunno about that. He looks pretty spot on colorwise in pics by people like Sixo here on the forum...that said, the "faded" red look he has in hand annoys me as well but not to the extent that I am not okay with it.

8. Madgame

Not sure what you mean by he looks spot on in pics? I'm saying the figure I have does not have the same color (or even close) to that of the official pics of DX9. Mine is a bright red with what seems to be pink hues (but not quite). I'm not the only one saying this, you can look back on comments and see a few others saying the same.

Sorry I don't know who that is.

9. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

DX9's Sixshot. The green on him was difficult to photograph accurately.

10. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Everyone thought that he was gonna be green but when released he was blue. Then they came out with a green version.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Teal Sixshot ftw

12. Madgame

Oh, thanks. Yeah could be I suppose. I went back and looked at DX9's pics again. The one of Powerglide, MP inferno, MP Ironhide and MP Prime appears to have all their colors wrong...I own each of those and the red of my figures looks way off in comparison. This is the pic I'm referring to, from a retailer site:

[​IMG]

None of my figures in the above picture match the hue. Ricthofen is by far the worst offender followed by Ironhide. Most pictures I see of Richthofen show a hue that does not match my figure.

I love the figure but the in-hand color doesn't match anything I've seen in pics.

13. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm saying his color looks correct to what we want (richer red) in pics even by members here, so I'm not so sure Dx9 changed anything. He may have been the color we got all along was my point.

14. Madgame

I understand what you're saying now, thanks for clarifying. In hand, the hue of mine doesn't look similar. Oh well.

• Like Like x 2
  15. martan

martan Member

I'm with you on this one. Opened him yesterday and he is certainly not the deep, rich, shiny red I was expecting. Mine is also (compared to the pictures) washed out red with a pinkish hue. Really like the figure, but think it was a bit misleading in the pics.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JAZZBLASTER

JAZZBLASTER LOOSE CANNONS / WRECKERS CREW

Go for it, dude! You won't regret it! Richthofen is awesome!

I also have other red MP's - Ironhide, Red Alert, Hot Rodimus and Road Rage - but was too lazy to get them out to take photos. Really looking forward to finally doing it, though. Will post pics of my Red Team with the expanded roster soon!

• Like Like x 1
  17. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    So I finally got my Richthofen today, and he is indeed awesome.

I do have some complaints though, so I'm going to go over some things (some nitpicks, some not) and I'll post some crappy photos to go with each point.
    Oh, and I'll put it in spoiler tags because it'll be long.

Tight joints. Maybe too tight:
    As with others, mine is super-tight, but it's detrimental on some parts.
    The landing gear in the chest is almost impossible to get out, and even with the various tools I have, it's very hard to get it out without damaging it. I tried putting some ceramic grease on it (I know some people use shock oil, but I don't have any and ceramic grease usually works like a charm for me) but it didn't help much.
    Getting the chest part open itself was nightmarish because mine had stuck paint out of the box, and it took a parts separator to get it open. It's still tough to open but not the worst.
    IMG_3056.JPG
    (You can see the paint chip from the stuck door on the right side (our left) of his chest, and the scraping to the landing gear from trying to get it out, even using the gentlest tools I had).

The backpack hinges that fold down by the waist seem incredibly tight, and never seem to sit completely flush. The clearance for all the backpack pieces that fold down in alt mode seems quite tricky. It's doable but man, it requires some real force in a couple of areas.
    IMG_3066.JPG
    (This always looks like it should go down further... but it won't).

Even the face was tough to move at first, and like the landing gear, there's nowhere to really grip it, so to get it moving can be quite tough. One it's moving, it seems fine, but I always worry about scratching the paint when turning it, and the gun and mask are still super-tight to peg into the back of the face.

In fact, almost every joint is very tight. The rear wings, for example, were scary to move the first time because I wasn't sure if they had a solid stopping place (they do, but there's quite a wide range) and didn't want to break them. I recommend keeping them folded up against the legs when you move them the first time so that they're a bit more stable and hopefully won't snap.
    The landing gear in the arms are really tight to move too, and one of them popped off the first time I tried to pull it down. The other one wouldn't pop off at all (I wanted to put grease on those too) and I ended up damaging it a little, but oh well...

Damage so far:
    That leads me to my next point: I've already damaged the figure a little.
    To be fair, I'm a little ham-fisted, but I'm no Bobby Skullface (or whoever you want to compare me to).
    Still, I've chipped some of the paint already just from trying to move parts, primarily paint chipping on the diecast arm panels (which, as a side note, are a lot lighter in weight than I feared and seem to add a premium feel to the figure without actually making it feel less durable or anything).

The worst offenders, again, are the landing gear pieces in the arms. It seems the inside of the diecast pieces is thickened too much with paint for the landing gear to slide cleanly past those diecast pieces... and so the landing gear scratches the paint like hell on the inside of the arms. It's not very noticeable but geez, what a pain, and it makes pushing the landing gear all the way in very difficult.
    IMG_3063.JPG
    (In case you can't tell, the black/silver parts there are paint scratched off diecast, and I put a screwdriver part in the landing gear and screwed up a bit of the plastic when trying to remove it, though it's hard to see. It was the only tool strong enough that would fit and wouldn't completely break it, but even that didn't work).

In fact, when I got Powerglide out of the box, the landing gear pieces in his arms were sticking out slightly, meaning his arms couldn't go completely straight, but I later found out that you can push them in all the way... but it's very tight, especially on one of them, and it makes it even harder to get them out than they already were.

Also, while fiddling with the landing gear, the arms have separated a bit (they're pinned together in opposite corners, with nothing else holding them together, which is a little worrying), but I think they were a little like that to begin with.
    IMG_3061.JPG
    (I swear the gaps have widened a tad since I first opened him).

Finally, I've had paint rubbing on the wing tabs (both the ones that tab into the sides and the ones that tab into the arms) as well as on the grey piece at the back (it came with red paint all over it and was quite tight; I cleaned it up with some isopropyl alcohol and it didn't remove too much of the grey paint), and there are some parts that really worry me, especially the diecast arms, the silver and pearlescent pieces, and the face.
    IMG_3070.JPG
    (Still not perfect but it was starting to take away the grey paint so I stopped at that. It looked FAR worse than that out of the box - almost all red on the sides).
    While typing this, I've noticed the face on mine has a little chewed-up spot. I'm pretty sure I didn't do that but I don't remember seeing it like that out of the box, so... Ugh.

Finally, issues out of the box. Mainly a paint issue:
    Thankfully I don't have many major problems right out of the box, but there are a couple I wanted to mention (other than the red paint issue on the spine/back piece, as previously mentioned).
    First, the major one: there is red painted pooled on the chest and now that I've seen it, I can't un-see it. It's really horrible. You can unscrew the chest piece (the screw is behind the landing gear in the chest) so you could theoretically replace it, but I'm not sure if DX9 will send me a replacement. I should at least ask. I assume I'll have to contact them through Facebook.
    IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3076.JPG

The next issue is an odd gap between the legs in alt mode. At first, I thought it was just because the shins/calves don't tab together, but looking closer, one leg has a bit of a rounded divet of sorts cut into it, kind of like what happens when I get carried away trimming mould flash off a model (I'm sure any other modellers know what I'm talking about). It's not great, but it's not the end of the world.

IMG_3064.JPG IMG_3065.JPG
    (The lower half of the two is where the problem is. I realise I didn't tab the legs together spectacularly for this photo but the issue is there, trust me).

Overall, I really like him, and for the most part, the problems don't bother me (other than the paint pooling on the chest). I just wish some things were less tight. Geez, I never thought I'd say that. Usually figures are too loose, so this should be a good problem to have, but it actually seems detrimental in some areas (especially those damned landing gear pieces in the arms).

The transformation is fun (though the wings can come unhinged fairly easily in both modes, unfortunately), he looks great in both modes, and I actually quite like the colour in person even though it's not as deep a red as I wanted. He's also quite weighty, has a ton of articulation, and, I would say, is great value for money.

Oh, and yes, the stand is pretty useless, unfortunately. After seeing Peaugh's video, I had hope for it, but... eh. It's okay. It works. That's about all I can say for it.

An honourable mention is the gun, which uses no pegging or tabbing system whatsoever (at least, not in robot mode) but still sits in his hands rock-solid. It's also quite a bit different to Bumblebee's gun once you have them together in person.

QC aside, my only real complain would be the outermost back panel not having a way to tab in (it's sort of loose but it doesn't really have anywhere to go, so it's more of a nitpick than anything else).

Finally, if anyone has a problem with the wings untabbing from the feet, I had the same issue on one of my Richthofen's feet, but I found that if you shimmy the wing on its hinge a little, you can get it where it'll line up perfectly. In other words, if the tab keeps popping out, the wing isn't lined up perfectly.

So, I would definitely recommend him, but just be really careful with some of the parts. The main wings, for example, are probably best rotated down first before you fold the wings down, so that they have more support, and you should probably hold them in place around the pins to make sure nothing breaks, but it's overall quite solid. Be prepared for some tight tolerances, but be prepared for an excellent (not entirely) little figure.

Hopefully this has been helpful/informative to someone.

• Like Like x 4
  18. WyldeBill

WyldeBill Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Where did you buy him from?

19. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    From eBay, weilangaofeng2015. Got here in... two weeks, I think it was? Quickest purchase from China in a long time.

Actually, I was meant to go post about my positive experience over in the eBay Seller Check thread. I should do that now. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay Flash sale. Hurry! Save $15
    On Purchases of $75+
    Shop now and save big. Use coupon code PSHOPNSAVE15.
    Don't wait! This exclusive offer ends today (9/30/17) at 6PM PT/9PM EST.