DX9 D-05 Chigurh (MP Astrotrain)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by RinAldo, Sep 8, 2017.

1. RinAldo

RinAldo Well-Known Member

Astrotrain has always been one of my favorite TFs, I still have the old G1 toy I bought in the 80's (in good condition and with the rifle), I also have Astrotrain Henkei classic, and after that I thought that only a MP Takara would consecrate definitely this TF (never realized by Takara), so imagine my surprise when I first saw the photos of DX9 Chigurh, the masterpiece I was looking for! The model is inspired by the G1, but with a design and a completely innovative transformation (the kind I prefer); when I bought it, and I was able to analyze it, I was surprised by its sophisticated and complex structure, provided with numerous joints. The head is attached to a segment articulated in two sections, which allows it to be positioned differently, depending on the three modes; for the neck there is a ball joint, which allows the head to laterally rotate 360°, with a little movement up and down. The two sections of the cylindrical body of the locomotive, form the arms and the two sides of the robot's back; two joint at the sides of the metal panel at the base of the bust, are the main joints that guide their positioning, forming the robot bust by hooking the two side panels (pectoral of the robot), on the front panel of the bust. The shoulder joint allows a 360° arm rotation, plus a 90° lateral displacement; between the shoulder and the arm, there is a joint that allows the latter to rotate (on itself) 360°, plus an additional lateral displacement of 90° (to bent the arm beyond the standard measure), the elbow joint bends the arm 90°. The wrist joint allows a 360° rotation of the hand, as well as a displacement of the same 180° within the forearm (when it is closed the hand can only make a short lateral shift); the thumb (rigid piece) is connected to the palm by a ball joint, the index has three joints, and the other three fingers are a single component with a joint connecting it to the palm. The two side sections of the basin are two articulated segments that allow the legs to move 180° forward and behind, plus a lateral displacement of the same, by 90°; the knee joint bends legs of 90°, the sophisticated joint of the ankle moves the foot in all directions (360° rotation, up and down side, up and down front), allowing even extreme legs positions. The joint between the torso and the basin allows a rotation of 360°, the pelvis/thigh joints and those of the knees allow independent rotation (360°) of the thighs and legs. The locomotive mode of Chigurh is different from Astrotrain G1 alternative mode... in fact, I noticed a remarkable resemblance with 0660 Baltimore and Ohio in 1904, known as "Old Maude" (a name that Americans of the time called affectionately this old and huge locomotive). I invented an armed mode for Chigurh/locomotive (and I also invented an alternative armed mode for Gewalt/tank, read PS at the end of the text), position the rifle barrel 180° outside, and connect it to the left of the cylindrical body of the locomotive. The shuttle mode is better "in hand" than in the photo... rich in details, and with a particular structure that makes it unique (different from any other version of Astrotrain realized); for example, its wings have sophisticated design unlike the simple wings of the true shuttle... it is likely that the DX9 designers wanted to create an experimental terrestrial aircraft mixed with Cybertronian design details! The platform is formed by the detachable shuttle cart, joined by means of the telescope of the rifle (bent out of 90°) inserted into the central hole of the panel. The Chigurh metal parts are: the base panel of the bust, the thighs and the eight large wheels of the locomotive (all rotating independently), the rest is all a good solid and thick plastic (when handled, you feel the quality and "weight" of the materials used to make it). The face of Chigurh, has the furrows on the cheeks like Astrotrain G1... but with a more pronounced sculpt, which gives it a more disturbing aspect. I conclude with the praise of the original design of all three modes, in addition to the design quality and the materials used.

PS - My review of DX9 Gewalt was published by my friend "Parigi41" in Agust 2016, the period when I was not yet a member of this forum; search it in the "Maz" thread, where it was put togheter with his review of DX9 Gewalt.

Attached Files: