DW's or IDW's G1 continuity

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Jingjing, Jan 18, 2010.

?

Which G1 continuity do you prefer?

1. Dreamwave Productions

33 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. IDW Publishing

35 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. Jingjing

Jingjing Well-Known Member

My latest post just inspired me to create this poll. Which G1 continuity do you prefer the most, DW's or IDW's?

Out of the two I chosed Dreamwave's, although I really fancy both of them.

2. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I actually preferred IDW up until All Hail Megatron. Before that, it's IDW. After that, the scales tip decisively to Dreamwave.

3. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Im sorry to say it, but Dreamwave. And even then I only really cared for The War Within, War Within Dark Ages, and G1 Vol. 2.

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    IDW. In my opinion, the regular G1 stuff they did, moved way too fast. Unicron being introduced in the second mini, for instance.

5. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Even though current IDW TF comics have pretty much killed all my interest, the stuff prior to All Hail Megatron was incredible. AHM had it's moments, though mostly Roche's Kup/Springer/Prowl story...

6. Jingjing

Jingjing Well-Known Member

I for one actually enjoyed AHM, but I just can't stand the way Infiltration, Escalation and Devastation were drawn. It looks like crap, like some cross over between Transformers and Spongebob Squarepants. The stories aren't that bad though, but they're not in the same awesome league as the Stormbringer, Spotlight and Evolution comics.

7. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

IDW by far.

Never really liked DWs G1 stuff except War Within. Their Armada/Energon comics were excellent though. Hmmm, now who were they written by again...

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

DW by a mile. I absolutely loved the combination of cartoon and comic series. If it continued, we might have actually had a definitive G1 continuity. This isn't to say that I didn't enjoy IDW's universe. It worked well for the most part and major props to them for building it from the ground up. For me, it just didn't the sentimental connection to make me love it.

I'd hardly call a foreshadowed cameo without any dialogue an introduction.

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prior to Revelation, when everything just went completely off the rails, I really liked IDW. They were doing a unique take on the TF mythos and it seemed like there were some really good ideas that, given enough time to develop, would have been excellent. It was striving to be more than "let's just combine the cartoon and comics, add a few extra details and call it a day", like DW leaned on. After Revelation, I have basically zero interest in the IDW TF continuity...whatever it is now.

On the other hand, while DW leaned heavily on prior stories and fanwank, they generally did an excellent job at expanding on those stories and also brought some interesting ideas to the table. Had the company survived long enough to allow Mick to tie all the plot lines together, it definitely could have been a very impressive story. I also give DW points for not having to reboot their continuity twice.

Overall, it's hard to pick one, but I'd give the edge to IDW for bringing more unique concepts to the table. As far as I'm concerned, it's basically a comparison of two aborted continuities and I think the pre-AHM IDW had slightly more potential than the DW stories.

10. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here. A year ago I would chose IDW without a doubt. But now after AHM...I will wait and see. Ongoing seems to be good. But right now, i can't wait to get my hands on LSOTW. From what I saw, it seems it's going to be as good and fun, as pre-AHM stories.

11. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Other than the first couple of issues of War Within Vol. 1, I didn't really enjoy Dreamwave. The first two G1 Minis had awful story telling. They were starting to right things with the ongoing but never got to finish so we don't know if they would have eventually got things better.

I really like the IDWverse. Furman's arc may have been slow, but it was great to read stories written by someone that actually knew the characters. AHM steered it in the wrong direction at first, but I'm hopefull that the new ongoing will get things back to the character based stories.

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's called continuity for a reason.

DW.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'm curious to what you consider awful for the second mini considering that it was a lead-in for Vol. 3.

14. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IDW.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Marvel. I haven't enjoyed DW's OR IDW's comics much to be honest. DW's comics were just getting good when Twat Lee fucked the company through the floor, and it appears that IDW wouldn't know the meaning of the word continuity if it jumped up and bit them.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Dreamwave. IDW's stuff had this great sense of gritty drama, but lacked the air of wonder that Dreamwave possessed.

17. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

This about sums up how I feel.

18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    DW, I still want to see where the ongoing's story was headed. Plus none of the transformers seemed out of character. At times it felt like it filled the gap between the end of season 2 and the movie. They were just about to bring in the Quints when bam Pat Lee screws the rest of the company and the fanbase out what could have been some of the best stories. You could tell the writers had a plan and it was going somewhere.

19. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Honestly, I don't remember the details of the story of Vol. 2 all that well since I haven't read them since they first came out. I do remember thinking that it was quite a stretch for Magnus and co. to be fooled into joining up with Shockwave's group, and then have him come to the obvious realization that Shockwave was evil for the big showdown in the end. I'd admit that Vol. 2 was at least a better read than Vol. 1 because it took more than 2 minutes to read an entire issue. I was enjoying Vol. 3 a lot more because it took the focus off of the more popular 'Bots and brought a larger scope to the series. It also seemed like the characters were acting more like individuals, rather than hero and villain stereotypes.

20. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer Marvel over either by light years.

But as that's not an option (why again?) I went for IDW on account of Dreamwave being utter poo.