DVR Dilemma...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aaron, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hi, my name's aksmth and I'm a DVR addict.

For the last couple of years I've had a DVR cable box and have mostly used it to record things when I'm not home, or it's late at night. However lately I've found myself setting it up to record things that I could be watching, and going off to do something else. Such as right now. Star Trek: Enterprise is on and being recorded (don't laugh it had it's moments), and I'm in the computer room doing some fiddly homework that I could do just as well in the TV room. Yet I almost feel compelled to NOT be in there. I think I do it so that I can just fast forward through commercials, and watch 4 hours of TV in 3, so instead I have to go and do something for a good portion of that time to "save" time.

Tell me I'm not alone.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I love Smallville. I have every season either on DVD or on my harddrive.

But I'd never watch it on TV.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I record stuff all the time to watch later. That way I can zip past the commercials, pause or back up if I miss a joke.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I desperately need a DVR.

As it is, I just download most of my stuff to watch it without commercials.

5. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Love the DVR. It's had me watching TV again. Fast forwarding through commericals is great; being able to watch Heroes and 24 is even better.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I record Headbanger's Ball on Saturday nights. So that when I watch it, I can fast foward thru the crappy videos, and watch the good ones.

7. carnage717

carnage717 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I do the exact same thing. Tha way I see it, if I'm going to sit in front of the TV and watch something I would rather watch 3 programs in a 2 hour time slot that 2. I usually very busy in the evening so I really dont feel like sitting through 20 minutes of commercials for every program I watch. I've had my TIVO for about 2 years now and I never watch commercials. I normallly just do some work on my computer and start watching my TV programs when I know I wont have to watch any commercials.

8. carnage717

carnage717 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is a good example of what I do. On mondays I record Prison Break, 24 and Heroes. I start watching Prison Break at 8:40, 24 at 9:20 and Heroes at 10pm.

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    my parents just bought me and my fiance a tivo with a 3 year plan thing, and im gonna get that hooked up soon, then ill be even more of a vegetable....i kinda dont know the total difference between tivo and a DVR, but ive always wanted something so that i wouldnt have to use my vcr anymore, so this is cool....i just wish the stupid tivo people had told us we needed a home phone line or the internet first, cuz we have neither of that...yet....now we gotta get stupid comcast cable (i hate those guys) but our place wont allow a dish cuz our patio faces north, and the dish needs to aim south....oh well...such is life.

10. lordsidious001

lordsidious001 Well-Known Member

no i do it as well. ill do what ever. while the show records on my dvr then ill go and watch the program 2-3hrs later. if thats not bad ill record all episodes of one seies then watch them maybe 2-3 weeks after they were on.

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only TV programs I'll watch live nowadays is sports, mainly football.