DVDs included with Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, Mar 10, 2012.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    So while this isn't exactly a new concept (there's mini ones included in the Entertainment Packs & Cyberverse Prime figures for recent examples), I think it's really too bad that we can't have it where each figure would come with a different episode, and to the point where buying 24 different figures would leave you with an entire season or something. My guess is that doing so is thought to hurt the DVD sales because of retailers robbing the disks to sell on their own (especially if an entire season could be gathered like this), increased piracy, and of course legality issues when it comes to languages... but what else would we hypothetically think would be cool?

Interview footage in regards to "the making of" said figure or line, adverts of upcoming product, animated shorts? Like, I get that there'd be additional costs involved & that most of us would like to see the attention go to the figures themselves, but I still think we can come up with some cool ideas, even just for the sake of doing so. :) 

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think there could be all sorts of cool things placed on a DVD that would come with a figure that wouldn't bother DVD sales. I think your suggestion of something from the designers' angle would be fun, as well as other "behind-the-scenes" types of featurettes. .pdfs of miscellaneous things (like scripts) would be cool, too. In short, I think this idea has a lot of potential if there were ways to keep it varied and engaging on a cheap cost level.

A DVD for one episode that packed with every figure is a waste to me.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, and it wouldn't really do anything to sell more figures unless you were committed to having the whole set or were one of those people who'd constantly buy shit & then return it after the watch either.

Advertisement things seem better for both sides, heh

4. lee9

lee9 Well-Known Member

I prefer video be on Youtube. 1.) Then everyone can enjoy. 2.) Even if I own it, it's easier to watch (rather than content scattered over a bunch of discs).

Yep, there's also that issue of being wasteful.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think it would cut into DVD sales much. Remember, the line is mainly bought for kids. How many kids do you know that get 26 figures each year? I know I sure wouldn't. I'd be lucky if I got 10-12 a year. If kids were really into the show, you know they would just ask for the DVD set and get them all instead of waiting to maybe get all the eps.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    would add weight to "collect them all"

7. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally I hate the dvd's. All it does is increase the cost of the product and never adds anything signifigant.
    Hasbro Cyberverse costs the same as Takara's. That should give you an idea of how over priced the commanders are right now

8. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. I view most physical media as extremely wasteful and avoid it where I can. Digital distribution benefits everyone. A company who's bread and butter is selling toys should be thrilled that people want to download half-hour commercials for said toys. It costs them effectively nothing if distributed digitally. I can't imagine that sales of TV shows on disc will remain strong for very long (if they are actually still strong at all, I don't know)... that really seems like a peculiarity of discovering an optical media that could cheaply deliver media before we figured out how to get fast internet connections to joe consumer.

I realize that people like DVDs for the display aspect of them, but I don't know anyone who still has their "collectors edition" vhs tapes. The same will happen with DVDs, then blu-rays, then whatever's after that. You pay a bunch of money for a collectors edition because you love the movie/show, then in five or ten years you can't even give it away. Buy a poster or an action figure. Heck, even a comic book would take up less space and you're guaranteed to still be able to read it in ten years.

But all of that aside, even, I don't like DVDs with figures because it makes the boxes bigger. Aside from the wastefulness aspect of it, bigger boxes mean less stores will stock it, particularly in high quantities. Shelf space is valuable. That generally means a bigger pain in the ass to track it down and/or a worse price. No thanks.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Hard to imagine anything increasing piracy at this point.

10. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's a thought:
    How about a coupon code for iTunes or seething thing like that
    Each figure could have a different code and if you buy every figure you get the whole season
    Sounds easier, cheaper, and has less waste

11. Evil'Con

Evil'Con Genericon

News Credits:
    There is a packaging variant of Cyberverse commanders with mini DVDs, so it could be episodes, character presentation or behind the scenes...

Attached Files:

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's an episode. And it's the same episode no matter which figure you buy.