DVD trade in costs?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Wreckgar, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I'm looking to ditch some DVDs and was wondering if there's a guide somewhere on how much they are worth? I'm getting rid of a bunch of stuff I rarely watch, if ever and figure I might as well get something for it, even if it's not a lot.

Help is appreciated.

2. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Gamestop, Suncoast, FYE, etc... will give jack crap for DVDs. Even the pawn shops don't pay much. You're better off having a yard sale these days.

3. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You'd seriously be looking at a dollar or two per disc. There's really no reason for a reseller to buy used dvds. A new dvd of a movie a year old can be had for 10-12 bucks, beyond that they get as low as 6-7 bucks. And a lot of customers know this, so trying to sell a used dvd for 5 bucks doesn't work very well, and the store still has to make their own margin for reselling the thing.

You'll be very disappointed with the trade-in values, if you can even find a place that still takes them(a lot of places quit buying them, and have tons of dvd's collecting dust that they can't sell).

A yard sale, or ebay is your best bet. The ebay fees are annoying, but at least you might make a couple bucks a disc if they sell. The only catch is, even if the buyer is willing to pay shipping, you still have to ship the things.

About the only thing you'll get anything for is like boxed sets of tv shows and anime might get you a few bucks.

4. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

take a look at secondspin.com. Ive used them once before and they paid a decent amount. FYI though, they will return any disks that have even the smallest scratch on it.

5. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I traded in some DVD's a few days ago at Gamestop. As said above you don't get very much. I called them to inquire as to how much I would get and they said that I would get $1 or more if it is in the system. If not, they will give you forty cents.

May be different at different stores but that is my experience. If the discs are rare you may be able to get a good bit of cash on eBay.

6. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Do you itemize your tax deductions?

If so, I would check out half.com or amazon or ebay, get a general idea as to what the fair market value of the dvds are, and then donate them to goodwill or other charitable organization. Take the deduction on your tax return.

I would guess it's probably not worth the time to sell them or trade them in for a buck or two a pop...

If you're set on selling them, have a garage sale.

7. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unless you have sets of anime or something it's tough to get any decent amount of money like others have said. I usually give them to my friends if I really need to clear space.

8. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
  9. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I got one of my 360 by trading DVDs to BB, they give 5-8 dollars credit depending on what time you catch them. Its not cash sure, but its more value.

10. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Discussion with a local store yielded that most used DVDs don't sell too well. People are upset over the fact that DVDs they pay $20 for can't be sold back for that much, but I see it as a simple fact that while a DVD may sell well upon release, it dies down and suddenly becomes hard to sell used. Most of his assortment sits there.

Disney DVDs are generally of interest but people who take them to his store want $5 each, and he can't pay it because he'd be lucky to sell them for $5 each.

Same problem with sports games... new Madden comes out, sells like mad, then the next year a game you paid $50 for is worth $1 if you rub a lamp because of a new Madden title.

11. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Yea, sports games are definitely disposable with no resale value. Any of the game shops around here that didn't open recently, half their used game inventory is madden, nhl, nba, and mlb games dating back to the ps1.

12. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

Of course, CDs are the worst of all, because everyone pirates everything nowadays. . .

13. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only dvds worth anything are the rare ones that are long out of print.

The mickey mouse in color volume 1 treasure set will cost you over $100 on ebay!