DVD to AVI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpha Prime, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Does anyone know of a good free* DVD to AVI program?(if one actually exists)

*Some sites give these really crappy trail versions that don't work, so i really don't want to buy the full versions. i'm mean if it can't do the trail functions..how bad could the full version be?

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

3. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    as long as its not a protected dvd, I think there is a software DVDripper or something. I used it to rip my wedding video to trim it down.

4. Alpha Prime

It's really confusing. No instructions. The only thing in the preview window is a green block.

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In my experience it's never been an easy one step operation. Go to videohelp.com and under the convert section do a search for DVD to AVI and you'll find a boat load of tutorial on how to do it.

The way I do it involves 3 or 4 different programs. A program to rip the vob file off the DVD. A second program to take the VOB file and create a project file that is then pumped into another program where you then select what AVI codec to use for the video.

Its been a while since Ive done it, but from what Ive seen by quickly looking over videohelp.com, it hasn't changed much.

6. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

First rip the BOB file off the disc, then look up "Pocket Divx". It'll convert it so you can put it on an mp3 player, or palm.

7. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    WinAVI is pretty good. It can convert VOB files into AVI and can use a bunch of codecs. However movies might be in more than one VOB file so you will need to combine them after.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

EDIT: Nevermind, was thinking of something else

9. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

There isn't a good free option. I just spent the better part of three weeks looking for one and finally gave in and tried a commercial one.

DVDFab is completely awesome though. Put in the DVD, specify format, specify which chapters (with a visible preview of the chapters so you can actually tell what you're selecting) pick your device or set up a generic and click rip. No extra steps beyond that.

And the best part is, the download "trial" version is the full commercial version. It just locks itself out after ninety days. I ended up with the Plantinum edition just because of all the extras it packs. Now I can pop in a DVD, pick the PSP setting, step it up to double-pass encoding and I'll have a movie for my PSP in about an hour.

Give the trial a shot anyway. It's the only one I found that actually works.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Actually, I recall VirtualDubMod working very well, and it's completely freeware. http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/

I think it only works on unencrypted DVDs, so you might need an, I dunno, some kind of a "DVD decrypter" or something... ;) 

Also, it won't rip subtitles without an extra plugin. Shouldn't be too hard to find. One of the ones here might work.

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

The makers of DVDFab also make a driver that renders encrypted DVDs un-encrypted. And also, makes any DVD drive region free, except for three specific drives which they list. You can be assured I'll be picking up that hunk of beautiful software soon. I've been wanting some way to watch those RID box sets from Europe. Now to see if they're still available. Unfortunately, I left the URL on my home computer and can't remember it right at the moment.

12. Alpha Prime

Thanks guys!

13. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really simple, rip with Mac the Ripper, convert with Handbrake...oh wait, NM

14. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

15. Spaceman

Spaceman Shaken not Stirred

Ebay:
    Kinda Late but if you have VOB Files I recommend this program: http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html

It's an All in one kinda thing. Though it doesn't turn DVDs into avi files, it can trun VOB files into avi files or anyother type of file you want. It evens converts media files for use on PS3/PSP/iPod/PocketPC/ect.

16. frizzgee

frizzgee New Member

17. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mpeg streamclip is free and rips DVDs well. Haven't tried going to AVI on it though... Because AVI is a terrible codec.

But if insist on using AVI for whatever reason, I'm willing to bet streamclip can handle it. It's a great program for converting files so its probably got AVI in there.

18. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Dude, did you look at the year this was originally posted?

But on topic, I'd recommend Handbrake.

HandBrake

19. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lol, I just saw that too after I responded. How does one arrive at finding this thread and deciding more input is needed 5 years later? Haha

AVI still sucks :) 

20. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

MKV is the best for DVD rips.