DVD Prime vs. 20th Ann. Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by fschuler, Mar 24, 2007.

1. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Just when I thought I had missed the boat on the super-cheap clearanced DVD Primes, I luckily found one for $19 at one of the last WMs in my area that still has them. They had marked them down from $50 to $30 a couple weeks ago, and, knocked them down again to $19 just the other day. I just love getting awesome TFs at great prices.

Anyway, prior to comparing him side-by-side with my 20th Ann. Prime I got a few years ago, I was under the impression that the only real difference, bot-wise, was the color scheme. Much to my dismay, I discovered that the QA/QC and overall quality on this version are waaaaaay below that of the original.

1) The front windows are misaligned, and when they are closed, the gap between them is much wider at the top than at the bottom

2) The silver paint pales in comparison to the chrome apps on the original

3) Numerous scratches, nicks and chips in the paint

4) Comparatively dull and sloppy paint finish overall (nowhere near as shiny, crisp and sharp as the original)

5) Sloppy sprue removal from the injection molded plastic parts and poor finishing of the diecast prior to painting

6) Plain blue painted eyes instead of the clear blue/chrome finish on the original

7) And, probably my biggest gripe, the waist doesn't lock into place like it should and his top half wants to flop backward when I pick him up

Granted, I only paid $19 for him, so I can't be too bummed about it, but I feel for those that paid full price for such a shoddy fig. If you're looking to pick up this Prime mold, go for an original.

Of course, this one's gonna make for some Prime kitbashing fodder...I dub thee "Deathbed Prime" stay tuned...

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The cheapest one I can find domestically is AU$110 online :(  Shoddy or not I envy you.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I bought 3 clearanced $20 Primes. None of mine have any of the defects you described about yours.

4. fschuler

How shiny is the paint on the legs and chest? The one I have has fairly dull and uneven paint with a lot of runs and pooling. Plus, I have noticed the uneven windows on a lot of the figs I've seen in stores. Maybe I just got a 5 o'clock special!

I'm not bitching, just disappointed that a fig that originally cost $70+ would get through with so many obvious flaws.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    As I said, the paint is fine on mine. My MP-04 however, has alot of the paint issues you describe. Considering he cost ALOT more than $20 and even has the word "Perfect" in his name, that's worth complaining about.

6. Guiltar

Guiltar Active Member

i got a 20th Ann.DVD Prime. no quality issues on mine.

7. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Damn, cheapest I ever saw it was 50 bucks. I wish I would have found one for $20. You guys are lucky. I think you should go back there and get me one. :) 

8. fschuler

Now that sucks!

9. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

QFTx2

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    oh man i thought you were gonna race em like you did with trypty/OS/lynx :( 

11. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

i bought 3 @ $20 and i had no QC issues with mine

12. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    mine looks fine, has no scratches or joint issues.....payed 30 for him

13. fschuler

I did...it was a tie...and not a terribly exciting race, either. I guess I could have thrown them against the wall or something, though.

BTW, it appears that I have just gotten a bum figure...since most of you have indicated that yours are OK. No big deal, I suppose, since I'm just gonna defile him anyway! Mwahahaha

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

does any one have comparison shots between the all the verisons? mp1 mp2 mp 4. 20th ann, and dvd primes?

15. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:

http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=769

The differences to me seem to be a little exagerrated. I mean granted, the MP Convoy has a more accurate paint scheme and looks cooler, but is that really worth the extra 50-70 bucks?

I guess it depends on who you ask. I just started buying/collecting this week after sitting on the fence about getting any TF for about 5 years, so those extra $70 I saved by buying DVD Prime for $40 allowed me to get a TRU Soundwave and Rodimus Classic. :thumb 

16. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

The ones at my WM are still $50. That was last week though, haven't been back yet to check.

17. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wanna see deathbed Prime!!