DVD player won't read TF Movie DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DilaZirK, Nov 14, 2007.

1. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I apologize if this has been asked before, but a search for "dvd not working" is not gonna cut it since "dvd' and "not" aren't accepted search terms, and a search for "dual layer" turned up nothing.

I recently bought the 2007 TF movie DVD, and the first thing I did was pop in into the DVD player. Did not work.

But, my computer has no problems reading the DVDs, so obviously the fault lies with the DVD player itself.

Is this because my DVD player can't read Dual Layer discs? (I tried using a lens cleaner on my player, but still doesn't work) And if so, any way to go about this besides getting a new player?

2. BallaTron

BallaTron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks like Your getting a new dvd player from santa This chirstmas!
    p.s
    Santa is not real,just ask Your parents....same thing!

3. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

keep headbutting the dvd till it works.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

To my knowledge, ALL dvd players are supposed to read 2-layer disks, as this has been the standard for commercial DVDs for quite some time. However, I have heard about some DVD players starting to burn out having trouble at the layer change. If the movie starts to freeze up about halfway through, this could be the reason...

Also some newer discs include copy protection gimmicks that cause problems with older DVD players. I work in a video store, and so far I haven't heard any complaints from customers about the TF movie, so it probably isn't that issue.

Also, on a random note, do you have your DVD player connected to your television via a VCR? If so, any copy protection on the DVD would be detected by the VCR, which would scramble the signal before it reaches your TV. That happens sometimes too.

zmog

5. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    WHAT?!?!?! O_O

XD. I had the same problem when I get mine. I just went to the store, changed it and problem solved. ^^

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

It happened to me. The DVD player I have is a Magnavox, and is 3-5 years old. I played it in the living room's DVD player, which is Sony and one we had gotten this year, and it played just fine.

Definitely, might want to get a new DVD player. I'd go with Sony if I were you. Sony's reliable... in all electronics!

7. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    The only time it didn't work was when I was at my friend's house who had a cheapo dvd player. We used a cleaner (on the player) and it worked fine.

8. BallaTron

BallaTron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I did not experience this problem with TRANSFORMERS but when I bought a dvd from ebay I had the same issue.It would not play on my dvd player but spun like a dream on my surround system setup!

9. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Actually, this is gonna be coming out of my paycheque, my very first paycheque for that matter... :( 

*WHAM* BAM*

Didn't work. Now the DVD player is dented, and I have a splitting headache. @.@

Funny you mention that, my current DVD player IS a Sony. Albeit, it's 5 years old...

Tried that, no dice. Unless even my lens cleaner doesn't work as well...

I'll probably try this first.

Thanks for the input.

Thing is, it won't even recognize that there's a DVD in the player at all.

And my family did away with VCRs quite some time ago as well.

I'll get the DVD exchanged first. Failing at that, it's either time to get a new one, or give Sony Service Centre a call.

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Buy a phillips, they'll read any disc.

11. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

My friend's PS2 wouldn't read the movie, but mine would. His was older than mine by about a year or 2

12. SMOG

Interestingly, working in a video store, you tend to get a pretty good overview of DVD machines and how well they work. I've found that Sony DVD players, and especially older ones, tend to be quite fussy... perhaps over-sensitive. Often the more expensive machines tend to be more issue-prone than mid-range machines too.

Definitely try to swap your TF disk... it could just be a manufacturing defect or something. But I also second Cataclizm1's suggestion. Phillips machines are great... very very versatile, and generally quite affordable. Between home and work, I've used 3 different models of Phillips players, and they've all held up quite well.

DIVX compatibility is always fun too. :) 

zmog

13. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I went back to the video store to try and exchange the DVD, but they tested it out and it worked perfectly fine for them.

So I gave Sony a call, and they told me that apparently, my old junk of a DVD player can't read dual-layer discs. Hmm.

So now I'm in a quandary: Get a new DVD player, or move up higher and get a BluRay/HD-DVD player instead?

14. SMOG

That's bizarre.

Even old DVD players usually can read dual-layer disks. Most DVDs, even some of the first ones, are dual-layer, so it's hard to believe that you've never run into this problem before.

Weird.

And as for deciding what kind of machine to get, I say just get a decent mid-range DVD player... like a cheap Phillips or something. It'll cost you about $50-60 bucks now, and by the time you need to upgrade to HD-DVD or BluRay they'll be half the price they are now (and probably have all the bugs worked out by then too).

zmog

15. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    For all I know, Sony could just be saying that to get me to buy more of their stuff. :p 

That sounds reasonable. More so because I am still completely undecided as far as this format war goes...

Once again, thanks for the input. :)