DVD Edition Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus Mike, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I was at walmart yesterday,and I found all the deluxe classics,and the DVD Ed.
    Prime,and I went to get him and he weighed alot less than the 20th Anniversary
    Prime,and also seen he was mostly plastic. So what gives,I remember reading
    about the SD Comicon or somewhere they had pics of DVD Prime,and Hasbro said
    he was gonna be all die cast like the first one. So what happened. Did I miss
    news that he was gonna be mostly plastic.If so then that bites. And I am glad I
    didn't buy him. I am gonna try to find the first one now.I will also wait to see if
    the mark them down or something to $20 or $25,but not at $70. Does anyone
    else aggree.LMK yall.

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    No chance in hell of getting them marked down that much. If the figure's all plastic it shouldn't be going for any more than $40, but then again, that'as Habro's repaint policy for you...

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The DVD Edition contains exactly the same amount of die cast as MP-01 and the original release of 20th Op. Wih the exception of some color changes, omission of chrome, and the comm stickers, they're virtually identical.

EDIT: Also, it appears that the chest doors close a little more securely than they do on MP-01, MP-02, and original 20th Prime... but I don't have any of the others in front of me at the moment, so that's purely going by memory.

4. jmacougar

jmacougar Well-Known Member

The DVD Edition Primes I've seen are entirely made of plastic. There doesn't look to be any diecast on it at all. I do not own one, but do own the original 20th and the MP-01. I've stuck my finger up through the "Try Me" hole (wow that sounds bad) and it's definitely plastic. The only thing that seems to have any weight is the stand.

5. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sorry, but I have it in my hands and that's simply not the case.

6. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

hmm, perhaps a running change? that would explain the number of people saying it appears to be plastic and then you saying its metal...

7. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, I'm afraid not - the packaging advertises the fact that it is die cast, and it is.

When news of the re-release broke months back, many were hoping that it might be plastic, to overcome some of the challenges in getting the original to hold poses. Some of the folks here that have Hasbro contacts confirmed long ago that it is a re-release of the original figure, with minor deco & paint changes.

There is no weight difference between the two, and both the legs and cab area have the same die cast content they always have. The new display base, however, is made entirely of plastic.

Also, you can't do a "running change" from metal to plastic or vice versa (to my knowledge) - they require different types of molds.

8. Altercron

just taking a random stab in the dark

9. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    The DVD edition does have die-cast and stands up fairly well compared to 20th edition I have. He does look "like plastic" in the package.

10. rayray40

rayray40 Member

Your right I own both of them and one is heavier than the other. I paid less for the diecast one.

11. Altercron

Hmm. Perhaps thinner die-cast? Like Hot Wheels-thin?

12. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Again, they both have the same metal content - and the back of the packaging on the new DVD version confirms that.

Please note in these pics from the Hasbro display at Botcon that the upper part of the cab and the lower legs/shins (the only parts of this mold that were EVER metal) are STILL metal in the new release.

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album=6593&pic=IMG_3598.jpg&dispsize=800&start=80
    http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album=6593&pic=IMG_3596.jpg&dispsize=800&start=80

Also, please see this thread with feedback from others noting that it a straight re-release of the same fig:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=112308

13. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Have to agree with ams on this. Op is not as chrome shiny or as dark red as the previous release, but he does contain the same die-cast metal.

14. jmacougar

jmacougar Well-Known Member

I can't believe that was diecast ... wow. I've even rechecked every time I see them. It still fools me. It felt and even sounded like plastic when tapped on it with my fingernail.

The packaging is cool ... but I'm glad I've the two originals.

15. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    After reading all the posts about whether DVD edition Prime was die cast or not,
    I have concluded that he is.and what some say about its the color and so forth
    on him.that seems right.But anyway I have decided to buy him,but not yet. I am
    buying a G1 Predacon set on here for $83.00 shipped,first,and they look in good
    shape,with some weapons and so forth.I haven't seen a set like this in a long
    time for that price.And I have always thought the Pred's were the best Gestalt
    team ever. They were huge I thought when I was that age when they released
    them.Now back to the subject,of thanks all for posting about this. I think he
    will be worth it,and I will finally get a 20th Anniversary Prime,even if its a
    couple of years late. Thanks all.

16. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    For some reason the Bullshit Express decided to dump a load of freight regarding this toy awhile back, and now everybody and their dog seems to think he's made of plastic, or made of less metal.

I will say that, aside from the display stand (which I think is pretty cool), this is one of Hasbro's worst repaints. Not only are the colours wrong (in context of G1 OR Classics - Blue gun?!?), but Hasbro had the cheek to remove all the chrome, yet retain the short-stacks all the while they said the reason they had short stacks in the first place was because of the vaccum-metalised plastic/chrome process making the plastic more fragile and prone to sharp breakage.

Bad show, Hasbro. Really bad show.

17. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're right on all counts, FFN.

As I recall, the same misconception happened with the original US release of 20th Prime. People thought the American version of MP-01 was going to be plastic, then were stunned when it turned out to be metal (which it was planned to be all along). I chalk that up to people misassociating it with BT/Alts - Japanese version metal, US version plastic.

For this second release, I'm guessing the misunderstanding is happening because a number of folks were saying they wouldn't buy it again unless it were made of plastic.

Regardless, it is what it is - and it is destined to be a shelfwarmer, I'm afraid.

18. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i finally saw one yesterday, and i only wanted it for the stand, then i pressed the button, and that voice is AWFUL...whoever that VA is sucks....they use lines from the movie and not the original VA...thats just lame, easily passed up by me...

19. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    I haven't seen it at Wal-Mart yet, but the one they had at BotCon sure looked like it was all plastic.

20. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm just going to add to the other reports to say that I've picked the guy up and it IS composed of the same diecast as the first release. Hasbro used a flat paint on the diecast parts this time which makes it look plastic. A paint job, I might add, that chips REALLY easy. I've only transformed him once and the corners on the chest are already bare. :p 

And yes, the voice box is hilariously bad...