DVD Choice Help

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by redstar_dan, Sep 7, 2008.

1. redstar_dan

redstar_dan New Member

Hello all,

I am looking to finally purchase a fair chunk of tf dvd box sets. I am a little stuck in choosing between US and Jap versions of series, for instance should I go for Car Robots or RID?

My main concern is the dubbing and how annoying some of the american voice overs could get. So far the only solid choice that ive made is Micron Legends over Armada, as from the small amount of Armada episodes that I have seen dubbed have anoyed me immensly. I also hear that the Micron legends has better animation, and was not rushed as much, not sure how true that is.

So far I currently own the G1 Tin (all region version that spans all 4 series of G1) and Headmasters TAKARA DVD.

Hope you can help, cheers for reading,
    Dan.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have Rhino versions of G1 etc. but I I'm also a being fan of Metrodome's Headmasters, Masterforce Victory and RID. I haven't been sorry for any purchase.

3. walruslaw

walruslaw video archivist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The main problem with going for the japanese versions of Transformers series is that they are sold in single volumes with arround 4 episodes on each dvd and they also have no subtitles in English. Only the takara collection (headmasters,masterforce,victory) has been released with subtitles the rest of the series availible have been dubbed or never released.

The only way to watch some of the japanese versions of the series is to download fan subs. below is a list of whats been fan subbed:

Beast wars II (1-12 and movie) old sub and (1-4) ongoing
    Beast wars Neo (1-2) ongoing
    car robots (1-4) ongoing
    Micron legend (1 and 14)
    superlink (1-52)complete
    Galaxyforce(1-52)complete

You mentioned that you where thinking of getting micron legend over Armada because it has fixed animation. I have been going through the series and comparing the 2 on another thread and apart from a few minor repairs on some of the episodes they are pretty much the same. so far only the episode linkup has any major changes. check out the thread at:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-general-discussion/184602-micron-legend-observations.html

hope this helps ya and also welcome to the board :) 

4. redstar_dan

redstar_dan New Member

Thanks

Thankyou ever so much for clearing this up for me, that helped immensly. Looks like I will just get the uk/us releases of the DVDs. I will check that thread out. =]

5. walruslaw

walruslaw video archivist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just to add a little more to what i told ya ill give ya a list of whats out in the 3 major regions of english dvd's

UK
    Beast wars(2 individual dvds)incomplete
    Beast Machies (2 boxsets)complete
    robots in disguise (2 boxsets)complete
    Armada (4 indivdual dvds and one 2dvd collectors set)incomplete
    Energon (2 individual dvds)incomplete
    Cybertron(1 dvd)incomplete
    Animated(1 dvd) incomplete but more comming soon

US
    Beast wars(3 box sets)complete
    Beast machines(1 boxset)complete
    Armada(2 box sets)complete
    Energon(4 dvds)incomplete
    Cybertron(1 boxset)complete
    Animated(1 dvd and 1 boxset)complete series 1

AUS
    Beast wars (3 box sets)complete
    Beast Machines(2 box sets)complete
    Armada(14 dvds)incomplete
    Energon(2 dvds)incomplete
    Cybertron(1 dvd)incomplete
    Animated(1 dvd)incomplete but more comming soon

There are also other english language dvd sets availible in Asia for Armada and cybertron which are just as gd as the UK/US/Aus sets. These can be found relitively cheap on ebay sometimes.