DVD boxset case preference

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wreckgar, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

What boxset style do you prefer?

Opening my Heroes boxset made me start thinking about this. It's mostly due to how annoying it is. Heroes comes in a big foldout case but they package the disks on top of each other looking like the number "8" in the case. I really loathe this. It's hard to grab the second disk out and the risk of damage IMO is greater. They did this with the Flash DVD as well.

Now my 24 sets, except the latest one, were all packaged as a big foldout but only 1 per page. This isn't bad. You can make one bigass picture with them and the disks are all easy to pop out.

But recently, the re-releases of 24 and the new ones have mini DVD cases in the box. Probably my favorite so far. 2 Disks per case and each case is roughly 1/2 the size of a regular case. Easy to pull certain disks out without unfoling the whole damn set. Also, easy to put special booklets between cases.

Yea, this is what goes through my head when nothing else is up there. So what do you guys think?

I'm also inclined to know what people think of the disk stacking cases and if anyone knows why they do it.

2. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

i like seperate cases in a box, like the Armarda pt 1 ones were.

3. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I really dislike the stacked/'8' style cases, they just seem so much more prone to cracking the inner circle of the disc, I'm ultra careful with any that come as such. I've got a 'Blaxploitation' set that has a cracked disc because of this.

I don't mind the 'fold-out type' as long as I don't have to fold out 5 or 6 discs to get to the one I want. Individual cases seem to be the best option, the slimline/mini ones contained in a box, as they take up less room than the regular size.

I think a major part of this is down to the release of the disc, having to push in part of the centre (i.e. a semi-circle cut-out) to free the disc puts much less stress on it than just popping it over the retainer.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i too dislike the stacked 8 way....that's how the Office season 2 was (and i bet Season 3 will be)...

my favorite is the slim cases box sets....if you loose/break the box, at least you got cases for the discs.

5. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Mini-cases enclosed in a box set. 'The Shield" season sets do this, and they're perfect!

Though I don't mind the fold out's that have 1 DVD per 'page'

6. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Mini-cases are the best I always think of Futurama cause that series what the first that I got that had them. Fold outs are ok so long as there not the "8" kind. I just lothe when they put the anti theft sticker-thing inside the plastic part of the fold out ones it's such a bitch to get it out with out runeing the box.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I hate the big fold out cases, I much prefer what you see what a lot of the anime set's with the thin pack cases.

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same for me really

But honestly the only DVD packaging that has ever truly annoyed me are just the single DVDs that come with the extra little flaps on the side you have to open. I don't know way but when I come across one of those it's like I'm Superman next to kyrptonite. I'm just useless, pawing at it like a zombie. This has been a heavy exaggeration, but really, those whole two extra seconds spent opening that case...those are worst two seconds you can possibly experience. EVER.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I prefer the ones where it is one DVD per layer like the Simpsons sets do.

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I actually like the fold out cases. Sopranos does it and it's seems to be a pretty good option to store it. However it is not my favorite. I like how Back to the Future and the Superman tin set are layed out. It's like a book, flip a page, see a disc.

11. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I like the large cardboard shell with the minicases in them. Easy to access the ones you want.

The Simpsons sets I have, they are hard to get at sometimes b/c they kinda fold and I usually end up dropping them!

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I absolutely hate the Sliders Season 1 boxset, what a piece a crap. My favorite case is the booklet style.

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Personal preference is for Individual thinpack cases in a decent outer box or the doubleish width cases that hold 5 - 10 discs. I don't mind cardboard sleeves on plastic cases, but digipacks are insultingly cheap and annoying as far as I am concerned.

I don't mind 3 or 4 standard sized Amrays inside boxes, but only if the entire series is just one set. Stacked discs of any kind annoy me no end as does novelty packaging that takes up unneccesary amounts of space and effort. The plastic books arn't too bad, but they break too easily in the post.

Less packaging material = lower costs, thinner packaging = more retail and warehouse space.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    My favourite DVD Boxset packaging would be the Alien Quadrilogy one.
    Green see-thru plastic foldy-thing with a disc on each piece.

15. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

and with slim cases (or even normal sized cases), you can share each disc easier...

and each disc has what is on the disc unlike fold-outs (where you have to hunt the sheet down)...