DVD/Blu-Ray Commentary

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Poho, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I'm watching ROTF with the commentary on. I'm only thirty minutes into it, and already Alex and Bob have taken three or four subtle stabs at Michael Bay for having too much control over the story.

I'm appreciating the movie a lot more listening to what the three of them have to say, though.

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Can you give us an example of a subtle stab?

3. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    well, the writers did have only 3 months to come up with that script, so Bay was kind of helping out everyone. The problem with that is he's a director, and personally shouldn't really have too much input into the stories.

Bob and Orci were both doing a great job, but too much crap was going on during ROTF production.

I wish they could come back for Tf3, with the other writers again, but no Bay this time, unless he will plan bigger explosions. (sorry Bay) :thumb 

4. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    I wish Roberto, Kurtzman and Krueger had had full reign over the script. ROTF would have been SOO much better.

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Huh. Imagine that.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  6. Poho

News Credits:
    i just finished it up with the commentary. one example would be what alex and bob wanted to do when sam was leaving home, but all bay wanted to do was have the kitchen bots, and they subtly complained that bay wouldn't let them take it where they wanted story-wise. at another part they even point out a particular effects scene that was put in in favor of an important story-element, but i don't remember which scene it was.

now, that said, bay said a lot of stuff about time constraints and budget constraints, and openly apologized to the fans for the final fight between jet-prime and the fallen, because it wasn't nearly as long/awesome as he had wanted it to be, but they simply didn't have time to do it the way he wanted. so the commentary made me feel for bay as well, but it was still quite obvious that his direct involvement with the story harmed the film overall, and alex and bob are (sort of) jokingly bitter about it throughout the whole commentary.

7. Mechafire

News Credits:
    This'll be interesting to hear once I get the DVD.

8. Poho

News Credits:
    what surprised me the most though is what they're talking about during particular scenes. there is often something incredibly cool happening on screen, and they're talking about megan fox lol

9. Jumpman

Jumpman Member

I'm guessing Megan Fox in a good way. I'm curious if Bay talks about Megan Fox in a negative light, considering what's transpired over the last few months...

I still find it interesting that Bob and Alex are distancing themselves from this franchise when they had a pretty legit reason to be apologetic about the script they delivered and that was the strike.

I mean, sure Bay was more involved with the story this times but it seems that there was a legit reason for it.

10. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is exactly why having TF3 come out in less than 2 years is a bad thing. Time was a huge issue on this one, and now even Bay, with his ego, is admitting he would have liked more. I just hope they make the most of the time they have for TF3.

11. Jumpman

Jumpman Member

Shadow,

Difference this time is that there is no strike. Granted, I would also prefer another year but this time frame is the same with the first film.

If they start shooting in May, that's eight months from now. You can create a solid script with revisions for a film like this in eight months...

12. protocida

protocida Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers 3 won't have problems. They alredy have a Plot outline. Ehren Kruger is alredy writing the script and Bay is alredy discussing the characters and special effects with Hasbro and ILM. Besides, the main cast is alredy signed in and they'll most likely have an even bigger budget.

13. Jumpman

Jumpman Member

In a round about way, Bob and Alex should've turned in that outline way ahead instead of one day before the strike.

From what I understand, they didn't want to do the sequel so Paramount went to other writers with no luck. So, at the last minute with the strike looming, they went back to Bob and Alex. They did the outline in two weeks and then we had the strike, then two months in a hotel after the strike was over to pen the script and turn it in a day before real shooting started.

Does that sound about right?

14. Shadow25

News Credits:
    True. The strike really did have a great impact on the film; even with his flaws I give Bay credit for pulling this whole thing off.

15. Jumpman

Jumpman Member

Shadow,

That's one of the reason why I can't call this film one of the worst of the year like a lot of critics have. Simply put, considering the size, scope, and expectations from the fans, it's a miracle that this film is even entertaining.

Deeply, deeply flawed because of a lack of time and budget, but damn, it's got ambition oozing through its pores just for the simple fact that Bay wouldn't let the strike take down his film, even when he had a great reason to essentially delay the film for six months.

16. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Hmm, I don't know about that. :p 

17. Poho

News Credits:
    agreed; the film is deeply flawed, as admitted by bay and the writers, but it definitely has some moments of serious greatness. had they had even six more months (or no strike), most of the film would have been greatness, with just a little bayhumor and baycheese on the side.

18. Shadow25

News Credits:
    So, did Bay or the writers say anything specific about any of the slightly lesser characters, like Soundwave, Sideswipe, Ironhide, etc.? Any mention of why they did not have much screentime?

19. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

This!!! Amidst the crudity, lewdness and disjointedness, there's a very good film laying in there somewhere. What they ought to do is plunk down another $50 mil, re-edit the thing, possibly do a few re-shoots and additional animation, and release it as ROTF 2.0.

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I would have hoped they might have said something about the rumor that Sideways was supposed to be Barricade.