Heavy/Scratch: Dustup Gunslinger figure Part 2: Painted and Available!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ramrider, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Following on from this thread, in which I'd just received and assembled my latest version of the Dustup figure, I've now got him painted up, ready for playtime.

Paints used were Inscribe Ash (grey) and Vallejo Oxford Blue, with detailing in Inscribe Hollyberry (red), Golden Yellow and Vallejo Deep Yellow for the visor. I'm half-tempted to give the grey a wash of Pearly Glaze to help reflect that semi-metallic plastic, but while it looks great in person, it doesn't always photograph too well.

Anywho, here's a few shots... Enjoy!

Dual-wielded with Nightstick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Hmm, smaller than I'm used to, but still..."

[​IMG]

Breacher trades up:

[​IMG]

Posing with Salvo while Nightstick looks on jealously...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you're hankering for a bit of Gunslinger action yourself and would like a Dustup of your very ownsome, he's now available to buy from my Shapeways store.

For anyone waiting till Vantage is up too, fear not - I plan to get the final version up tomorrow...

Attached Files:

2. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

And boom! I'm back reading Time Wars where the not this guy who may be somewhat similar pilots Scourge to meet his fate at the madness of Shockwave. (unless I've him completely confused) With the paints on him done, he looks amazing, especially beside poor old Nightstick. Of what I've seen so far, this is my favourite gunslinger design.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Awesome stuff, man.....and you're back with a vengeance! lol

Between Hasbro stepping up their game in recent years, 3rd party companies, and now you guys doing the Shapeways stuff, we should get or have most everything we've always wanted......at least one can hope anyway.

4. adconx2

adconx2 Cybertron D-Block

Ebay:
    Very nice.

5. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

I'm getting one. What's the average shipping wait from Shapeways anybody has?

6. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :drool:  that looks amazing painted wish i wasnt a poor ass student so i could buy these now rather than haveing to wait till the others are finished to buy them in bulk :( 

7. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

That is downright lovely.

The ONE qualm I have is that I wish there was a smooth spot on him for a faction symbol. Salvo has a nice clean suitable one right on his chest.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks, everyone! :D 

Well, I don't know about anyone else, I think it depends partially on your location. Their aim is to get plastic models to you within 10 working days, though I often get them within a week or so - this order was placed on Boxing Day, and arrived on the 4th of January. That's just over a week even with a bunch of bank holidays, though it was actually shipped on New Year's Eve, and under normal circumstances I get them the day after they're shipped.

I briefly considered trying to add somewhere for something like this, but I was primarily going for the homage, and Frackarse's design doesn't really allow for it either. That said, if you were so inclined you could possibly use his upper arm, just below the shoulder. It wouldn't rub during transformation, either. Or maybe the top of the torso, next to his head; he's got a decent flat area there too.

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Loooks soooo good!

10. 808kalams

808kalams Wrecked

Ebay:
    Hey Ramrider, have you or anyone else for that matter tried using the alumide material. I know it's expensive but far a lazy s.o.b. like me it'd be worth it. Instead of putting in all that work prepping and trying to make it smooth. I was just wondering if alumide came out as clean as clear/white detail without sacrificing the durability?

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I believe some people have used alumide for some of their accessory-type pieces (I think Sunlink tried for his weapons, for example), but for these figures, unfortunately, it won't work. While it's based on the same material as WSF, it has aluminium powder mixed into it, which as far as I understand it makes it a bit more brittle, and more importantly for me, it increases the minimum wall-thickness allowance by more than double (to 1.5mm). Which basically means that if I design to allow printing in alumide, I can't make the pieces as thin as I sometimes need to. Also I'm pretty sure it comes out as rough as WSF does, so it would still need prepping of some kind to make it smooth.

I would actually have loved to be able to order them and get them in that cool metallic grey straight out of the pack, but unfortunately it's just not practical. Sorry.

12. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just curious, is it possible to dye parts made from WSF? Or do you think it would be to risky?

13. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have made prints out of alumide and for simple things it's not bad. Looks nice and has the same texture as WSF. For what I was looking for it didn't suite my needs. Your stuff is still looking sweeeeeet!

I have successfully dyed WSF even though I believe Shapeways says you cant. The big issue is that WSF is extremely porous so if parts of the item start to wear down then you'll loose the dye effect (which is basically true for most dyed materials =). However, if you read through their forums there's plenty of people who have successfully dyed WSF.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

You absolutely can - How do you think they get the black, blue, red and green ones? ;) 
    I haven't dyed it myself, but I don't think you'd need any acetone, and you'd probably want to use lower temperatures than you normally would to dye a Transformer.

I know Process has dyed some of his stuff; it might be worth hitting him up to find out exactly what techniques he used.

[EDIT]Or you could ask Sunlink. :p 

15. Insecticons

Insecticons The different Kitbasher

^ Check your Shapeways PMs D:

Those would be cool indeed if you could order those in Colors , but oh well , my Painting Skills need some training anyways :3

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I think you should find these to be good practice; WSF takes paint really well.
    I tend to get my paint down a milky consistency, and apply two or three coats, then follow it up with a coat or two of varnish.

17. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    Other than a little more paint on the ball joints to stiffen him up a little more, I think he's done. here's my take on Dustup - I dubbed him Range Finder. He is now Hounds new Target Master...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Got mine in the post today, he's a lovely little bot, Everything fits really nicely together, he stands very easily, all the pieces hold in place wonderfully. The plastic is very solid. I need to get myself a Scourge for this guy!

Thanks Andy, beats several shades out of Nightstick.

19. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    WOO! Mine should be here Monday. I was only able to step my toe in the water with my last order (there's a TON of stuff in my "to buy" list on Shapeways...) but I'm going to be going back for the rest of the gang soon enough!

D/L

20. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Well, I got mine today, and DAMN am I impressed! This is one of those awesomely rare cases where the pics do not do the figure any justice!

What you don't see in the photos is how carefully all the parts are designed, and how in the transformation EVERYTHING tabs cleanly together with well designed slots.

Hasbro could learn a lot from this guy (Well...if they were willing to charge 10 bucks or so for as minicon, I suppose ;) )

D/L